Apple Power Macintosh G5 1.8 DP

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by epistimOS, Jan 21, 2014.

1. epistimOS macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I recently acquired an old PPC from a friends internet-cafe: http://everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/specs/powermac_g5_1.8_dp_2.html.

[​IMG]

At first I had to solve some hardware issues (dead RAM, MB moisture) in order to make it "chime". Since then, although I've read lots & lots of forums-blogs-opinions-wide-spread-over-the-www, I haven't found the right way to install the suitable MacOS version yet (most probably this http://www.thebookyard.com/product.php?products_id=5678).

The only way I can get at this screen:

[​IMG]

is by using my original MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard DVD, with which for apparent reasons (non-Intel CPU) I cannot proceed to the final OS installation.

Taking into account that a) I've already tried installing non-original MacOS 10.2, 10.3, 10.4 and have failed (actually I was given the "no-access" sign during booting process) and b) all hardware parts seem to work like a charm, I would highly appreciate any help in this matter.

Cheers,
    Tim

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Tim, 10.3.1 is the minimum you can install on the single processor 1.8Ghz G5 so I imagine you can't install anything less.

Is your Leopard DVD a retail DVD or is it model specific? Are your other install disks model specific? I ask because the G5s can run a maximum of Leopard 10.5.8. So, you'd be right about it being an Intel only disk if your Leopard DVD is for say a MacBook Pro or something.

The retail Leopard DVDs are easy to find but sellers want outrageous prices for them.

3. epistimOS thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your prompt reply eyoungren! I guess the Leopard DVD is model specific(my macbook's DVD):

[​IMG]

So, correct me if I'm wrong, you're saying that if I have a retail Leopard DVD I can install MacOS on my PPC?

As for the other installer DVD's I've tried, I can't tell because they were given to me as copies from original ones. Is there a way I can find out if they are retail or model specific from a software perspective?

4. eyoungren, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes, the disk in your picture is model specific. Therefore, uninstallable on this G5. You want the retail Leopard disk. The retail Leopard disk is Universal and will install both on Intel Macs (those capable of running Leopard) and PowerPC Macs.

Here's what the retail disks (up to Snow Leopard 10.6) look like (all model specific disks are gray):
    [​IMG]

If the disks you have refuse to install, they are probably copies of model specific disks.

So, yes, if you have the Leopard retail disk you can install 10.5.8 Leopard on your G5. Once done, I would suggest downloading and installing the 10.5.8 Combo Update. That serves two purposes. It gives you a direct update to 10.5.8 and the combo updates usually contain the latest drivers. Don't use software update to download the combo updater. Just go to Apple's site and get it.

5. epistimOS thread starter macrumors newbie

Great info eyoungren! I'll try and find a retail-DVD then. I'll definitely let you know about my accomplishments ;)

Thank you for your time!