Apple PowerMac G4 Cube Mediacenter

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mikethemovie, Jan 18, 2009.

1. mikethemovie macrumors member

Hi!

I need some advice/tips..
    [​IMG]

I would like to transform it into on Media/Music "Design" Machine and add a touchscreen on top of the cube..

The things i want in the box:
    - Touchscreen
    - Large HDD
    - IR-receiver for appleremote

I dont know what to do with soft and hardware..

- Shall i keep the G4? (is it possible to add a touchscreen)
    - Install for example a macmini board? (can i run a touchscreen with osx, and how do connect it to the board?
    - Install windows parts and ruin the whole box haha..
    - Is it possible to add an 7.1 soundcard with osx?

Im a noob in casemodding, so i would appreciate some advice.. :)

Thanx!

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

:eek: Don't mod the case! Its a classic design and reasonably rare mac!

Check out this website for mods: LINK

The G4 would probably stutter a bit playing video, although processor upgrades exist, so that is a route to go down.

Not sure about the touch screen. Great find on the cube btw!

3. Thomasthetug macrumors newbie

Yes if i were you i would just upgrade it to as much as you can, and get a 3rdparty remote. Modding a classic thing isnt the greatest thing to do in my opinion.

4. dbwie macrumors 6502

my vote...

The Cube is a classic. I say keep it at it's original settings and enjoy it as a very useful computer, still. With the money you would put into upgrading it, buy an AppleTV. My 2 cents!

A nice addition to the Cube is a Harmon Kardon iSub, which will work in tandem with the Cubes digital speakers. With this, you will have a nice sound system.

5. mikethemovie thread starter macrumors member

I think you kinda right.. What about upgrading the cube with AppleTV hardware? ;)

6. mikethemovie thread starter macrumors member

The reason i want to add a touchscreen on top is, because i dont have to use on external display.. So i can be to center of attention.. :)

I think it can be totally awesome..!!!

7. dbwie macrumors 6502

touch remote

You can get an AppleTV, and then get an iPhone or iPod Touch with the remote software to control the AppleTV. This way, you have touch controls of the unit in the palm of your hand... go to cubeowner.com and join (free) to get expert advice on modding the Cube if that's what you want to do.

8. mikethemovie thread starter macrumors member

I know about AppleTV, but i would really like to use the cube.. And im not really into the iphone/touch remote thing.. Not what im looking for..

My whole itunes library of 144GB will be on it! What i would really like to is the following.. A touchscreen on top.. Im not sure yet, but it will look freakin awesome.. Im a noob in casemodding.. How do you connect a touchscreen?

What touchscreen should i use?

I have some questions and need you iponions!::::

1) Should i use apple parts?
    2) Should i use windows parts?
    3) Are there any opensource OS dedicated for music?
    4) I saw something about Nvidia Ion platform, which looks good..

I would like to use the Harman Kardon speakers or not?
    Harman Kardon Soundsticks
    The new, but expensive Harman Kardon GLA-55 (ssssweet!)
    Bose?
    Suggestions?

I need some advice.. Im not sure yet..
    Any help is really appreciated!

9. Supersonic macrumors regular

I've got a G4 Cube as a media centre hub plugged into my 42" SD plasma and whilst its an ok picture, I think playing HD video could strech the possibilities of the output.

I gave up running QT movies from the hard drive, as the drop out was too much so ended up finding that playing from a USB stick was faster. Less dropped frames by far.

I guess with the many internal mods to the videocard, faster hd maybe and even CPU tweaks, it would be pretty good then...

10. Appletoaster macrumors newbie

Mod

I say do what you want, they did not make that many of them but I would not say they are rare. A quick look on eBay should reinforce that .. and actually I swear I saw the original posters picture on eBay for sale about a month ago. I bought two recently, one I am converting into a toaster and documenting on my website and the other I will probably convert into a silent media center with an ITX board. It's no big deal, I will just get another original internal case (on eBay for like 30$) then if I should want it original I will just pull out at reactor core and switch it.....the toaster mod is permanent though.

11. verdee macrumors newbie

What about trying to fit a intel mini into a cube case

12. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

I agree with these others about not modding a classic, but I'll also like to add:

Dont fry a classic by putting anything on top of it. The Cubes were amazing because they had no fans (dead silent), they were cooled by hot air rising through the thing and out the top. If you put anything on top of a Cube, covering the vent it would shut down after 10 minutes. Put anything inside it to block the airflow, and you'll fry it.

13. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

You can fit a lot more than a Mac mini in a cube case...

I found this and thought it was pretty cool. I wonder what that keyboard is.

Attached Files: