Apple Predicted to Release Ultra-Slim 12-Inch MacBook with Retina Display in Mid-2014

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 12, 2013.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple may be planning to release a 12-inch MacBook with an all-new design and high-resolution Retina Display in the middle of 2014, according to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

[​IMG]
    Specifically, the new MacBook is expected to feature a clamshell form factor even thinner than the current MacBook Air, and may debut at a lower-price point than the current Retina MacBook Pro line due to an improving yield rate. While Kuo stops short of calling the new model a replacement for the current MacBook Air line, his description of the model suggests that it would indeed supplant Apple's current ultra-slim notebook line.
    Kuo's claims match with a report from NPD DisplaySearch analysts earlier this week claiming that Apple is planning to introduce a new 12-inch MacBook Air next year. That new model was predicted to use a high-resolution 2304 x 1440 display

Both rumors also fall in line with earlier reports that Apple is set to move to IGZO displays for many of its future products, allowing for higher-resolution displays with lower power consumption.

Kuo has generally been quite accurate with his predictions over the past several years, including accurately outlining many of the details of Apple's 2013 launch plans as far back as January. Other accurate predictions have included the introduction of a "third MacBook line" that arrived in the form of Retina MacBook Pro models and the discontinuation of the 17-inch MacBook Pro last year.

Article Link: Apple Predicted to Release Ultra-Slim 12-Inch MacBook with Retina Display in Mid-2014

2. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Woah, out of left field.

This could be interesting!

3. levitynyc macrumors 65816

Do want....but not at the price Apple is going to charge for it.

4. JoEw macrumors 68000

JoEw

5. landroverz7 macrumors member

landroverz7

Just get rid of all current macbooks and start again.
    Macbook 11, 13, 15, 17 all with retina displays.

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Makes sense. The current Airs have a very wide bezel, much wider than the retina MBPs currently have.

They could probably fit a 12" retina display in something with a footprint not much larger than the current 11" Air.

The 13" retina MBP will probably get thinner. Look at devices coming out now with Haswell + high DPI displays for reference, like the ASUS UX301:

[​IMG]

So there would really be no point in a 13" retina Air and a 13" retina MBP.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

Count me in if this is true. I was a MacBook Air owner from February 2008 until last December. After I lost my MacBook Air I used the insurance proceeds to get a 13" rMBP. I love the screen but miss the portability of the MBA.

8. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I hate to say it but between the iMac and now the macbook, apple is turning me off with all this need to be the thinnist out there, it gets to the point where it starts hampering performance, it does'nt always have to be the thinnist

9. gooberwilson macrumors regular

gooberwilson

Next year could end up being a very exciting one.

10. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

To be fair, the MBA isn't meant to excel in terms of performance. I do agree with your comment about the iMacs, though.

11. portishead macrumors 65816

I'd buy one. I want an ultra portable but with a retina display etc.

12. Klae17 macrumors 65816

Klae17

Then what size is the new ipad supposed to be?

13. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I'd rather have a 15" Air, and the Mrs would like to replace her 17" with something that size. I get that smaller and lighter is good and desirable but it doesn't cover the needs of everyone, especially not having that 17" option anymore...oh yeah!

14. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

i've been saying all along

Just do retina macbook pro 11" and 17".
    Retina ipad mini or 12"
    Retina imac 27" or 33"

Simple.

15. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

That's what she said ;)

16. drewyboy macrumors 65816

oh sure yup...
    Best Buy Rep: hey, you want the 11",12",13" or 15"?
    Customer: I was looking at the macbook
    BB Rep: Yeah, they're all MacBooks, so 11,12,13, or 15?
    C: I like the idea of maybe the 13
    BBR: The Air or Pro
    C: I thought you said they were all MacBooks
    BBR: They are but there's two lines, the air and pro. Air 11 & 13, pro 12,13,15
    C: 12? That's only an inch less?
    BBR: Well...

Can you see the craziness? I'm not saying the 12" isn't true, but I'd put money on it that they won't be the exact same line. If the 12" is true, I'd guess that the 13" is going away. Who know's, maybe it's a consolidation. Or maybe he's got his sizes mixed up and the 12" is actually for an iPad. Maybe the air will be consolidated to a single size... I have no freak'n idea and neither does he but anyone with half a brain can realize that a only a 1" decrease in Apple's book does not justify a new product, it's just too confusing (for what apple has had for product lines). Now if it was any other oem, heck yeah... look at asus. 11,11.5,12,12.25 SE,13.3,14.2,15.1,15.8.... You get the idea

17. Kagami190 macrumors member

That's what I'm thinking they're going for. Once again just making it Macbook and MacBook Pro

18. iRalph macrumors member

What I world really like is a 15inch MacBook Air with a retina display

19. rhinosrcool macrumors 68000

rhinosrcool

A 12" MacBook would be awesome. At present, the 11" air's vertical height hampers web pages. Adding a little size could really make a difference. Add retina and wow. We'll see...

20. cgk.emu macrumors 6502

I really liked my 11 inch MBA. I bought it in Germany to replace a machine that died on me. It was a Core 2 Duo, 10.6....64GB SSD. It was a speedy machine! My only real complain was that the screen, at that DPI, was just too little work space. A high DPI 12 inch would be stellar.

----------

Remember before Jobs came back, he said Apple had gotten too complicated. They had a TON of models that confused the consumer because the bean counters ran the company...we're definitely getting back to that time unfortunately.

21. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

Best thing would be:

11" and 12" MacBook Air
    13" and 15" MacBook Pro

All of them could be referred to as MacBooks to make things simpler.

22. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

This means apple would axed the 13 mbp pro and air and just merge those two into one... Otherwise it would be too much lineup.

23. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

How about this + 17" rMBP, and get rid of the cMBPs and 13" rMBP

24. DawnSlayer macrumors newbie

Tired of waiting

I tell you what Apple, i've been waiting for 6 months for the next retina macbook pro to be release, but you move it and move it! Now it's mid of 2014????!!! Are you frigging kidding me?!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: