Apple Preordering Experiences

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mystikpymp, Jan 28, 2011.

1. mystikpymp macrumors newbie

I'm going to purchase an Ipad when the next generation comes out. My question is this how/where would you place a preorder? Also what kind of experiences have you had when pre ordering from apple. is there Anything I should be aware of or should do to insure ill be able to pick one up on release day?

2. baummer macrumors 6502a

It's pretty simple:

1. Apple announces product and updates store page on their website.

2. You login to the store site, buy, login, confirm purchase.

3. Your order will be updated with a shipping estimate within a couple of weeks of ordering.

4. Your shipping estimate date may fluctuate a few times in between ordering and actual shipping.

5. Once shipped you'll get a tracking number.

That's how it works on Apple's site. As far as pre-ordering from other sources, say Best Buy, the process is roughly similar. You purchase the item, they tell you when you can expect it, then they tell you when it has actually shipped.

3. mystikpymp thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome. I didn't realize you would be able to do it online. Thanks for the reply. Would it have to be preordered the first day its listed online to make sure u get one on release day. I guess what I'm asking is will the preorder sell out.

4. baummer macrumors 6502a

I am not sure about a pre-order selling out. A pre-order is just a way to purchase an item before it is available to Apple stores and Apple resellers. Now I didn't pre-order an iPad last year, but I have pre-ordered from Apple in the past (an iMac and a Mac mini), and this is what I experienced.

Some have mixed views on this. I know some people prefer to wait to purchase until it's readily available, in anticipation of bugs or other issues that might need to be addressed by Apple. It really just depends on your risk tolerance. I purchased a 1st generation iPod touch, and got lucky. My 1st generation Mac mini that I pre-ordered ended up failing a year later. So, it really depends.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

IRC with the iPhone 4, the longer you waited to pre-order the lower the chance that your phone would be available for pickup/delivery on launch day. So its not that pre-orders can sell out, its just that there are only so many that are guaranteed available at launch.

6. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

For the iPhone 4 I got up like 5 in the morning adnd pre ordered and it came the day of release