Apple Previews New Piazza Liberty Store, Opening Thursday in Milan

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 24, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today premiered this week's opening of Apple Piazza Liberty in the center of Milan, Italy. Set to open its doors on Thursday, the retail location features a dramatic glass fountain that serves as the entrance to the store and a backdrop to the large outdoor amphitheater.

The piazza, clad in Beola Grigia, a stone used throughout Milan, will be open to the public 24 hours a day and will host special events year-round amongst 14 Gleditsia Sunburst trees planted in the area.

[​IMG]
    Apple Piazza Liberty will host a variety of Today at Apple sessions, taking in photography, filmmaking, music creation, coding, design and more. This September, Apple Piazza Liberty will also host a special month-long Milan Series, where 21 local artists will share their visions for the creative future of Milan, as previewed on a special Apple.com web page.

There will be live music in the location's amphitheater on the opening night by musician LIM, a "crazy self-portraits" session with Olimpia Zagnoli on July 27, a photographic laboratory with Piotr Niepsuj on July 28, and a "draw the summer" class on July 29.

[​IMG]
    The store will employ 230 staff, many of whom have come to Milan from Apple stores around the world, according to Apple. Apple Piazza Liberty opens Thursday, July 26, at 5pm, and registrations for Today at Apple can be made now on Apple's website.

Article Link: Apple Previews New Piazza Liberty Store, Opening Thursday in Milan

2. Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

3. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

What an absolute marvel. Apple is creating modern landmarks.

4. giggles macrumors 6502

(By the way “Liberty” in this instance stands for “Art Nouveau”, not literally “liberty”, for anyone wondering why an Italian piazza is called “liberty” instead of “libertà”)

5. joshen macrumors regular

joshen

6. kyjaotkb macrumors 6502a

Peak Angela Ahrendts! let's build an architectural marvel at the heart of the global centre for fashion. They better sell a lot of macbook leather sleeves. Jokes apart, this is beautiful.

7. villicodelirant macrumors 6502

villicodelirant

...in fact, if my memory serves, it's actually called Piazza del Liberty ("del" being a preposition like the french du).

As for the news itself, I can't say I'm a fan. They have basically neutered a recently restored, beautiful square by cutting out the central portion.

If I remember correctly, in times gone by it used to host an ice skating rink during winter - I guess not anymore.

8. weckart macrumors 601

Seems to be focusing on watch straps. Not much else to see.

9. villicodelirant macrumors 6502

villicodelirant

Nobody in that picture looks remotely Italian,I'm guessing that's a stock photo.
    The tattooed hipster looks pretty convincing, though. I would buy a strap from him.

10. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

... and MR forum fixation with “watch straps” lives on.

11. Jarman74 macrumors regular

Jarman74

12. curtvaughan, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018

curtvaughan macrumors 6502a

curtvaughan

What? No Macs? The store looks to be so devoid of product, perhaps they haven't finished moving? Not even any iPhones ...

13. villicodelirant macrumors 6502

villicodelirant

I mean, in the second picture the only visible products are, in fact, straps.

I'd say it's Apple PR department that is fixated with straps (for a reason: those babies probably cost 10c a pop to make and sell themselves).

14. recoil80 macrumors 68020

You're right, the name is del Liberty although nobody I know calls it that way, it is always Piazza Liberty.
    I'm about to go there for my lunch break and I'll post a few pics.

I'm not a fan of the project, but I have to say I wasn't happy with how the place looked before so I don't feel Milan lost anything by allowing Apple to build the store there.

15. ikir macrumors 65816

ikir

Really stunning. I will go to visit it for sure.

16. the future, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2018

the future macrumors 65816

Wrong.

If the straps are so cheap to make, why are the 10$ silicone straps from Amazon etc. such crappy lint magnets compared to the originals? Answer:

https://www.juukdesign.com/single-post/2017/06/02/Why-Are-Apples-Sport-Bands-So-Expensive

17. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Looks really nice. Unfortunately where I live all but one Apple store is in a shopping mall and only one so far has had a redesign.

18. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

230 employees selling watch straps? It’s probably 12,000 square feet under-ground there.

19. Someyoungguy macrumors 6502

7 x 10 cents is 70 cents. And your quote doesn’t apply to my nylon sports strap, does it?

As for the store, wow, birch tables spread out in a large room and a Genius Bar. I guess it’s all about the glass outside.

20. villicodelirant macrumors 6502

villicodelirant

Consider yourself not authorized to ever use that tone with me, ever.

Also, of course, not wrong (it's a well known fact I never am).

"50c" is quite obviously a number I pulled out of my ass, the rather obvious real point is that watch bands have a huge margin and sell like hot cakes, making them a good product in the eyes of the beancounters.

I don't think I need to (and I'm not going to) convince you that making them in China cost significantly less than the 50 bucks the basic models sell for.
    I never once mentioned the difference in cost between different models in the range.

21. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Very pretty and all that, and I'm sure probably everyone would totally disagree, but I'd much rather Apple stores, were just plain warehouse places, and Apple products were cheaper to buy.

22. JustCap macrumors newbie

I was never happy with the design of the restored square.

While the materials were good, the layout was lopsided and awkward.

23. the future macrumors 65816

Oh please. You even said „10c“, not „50c“. Your post insinuated that Apple watch bands are cheap crap and I posted a link that proves that they are not. Hence you were wrong, in letter as well as in spirit. But yeah, of course the Watch bands have a healthy profit margin, just like everything else Apple sells.

24. JustCap macrumors newbie

That is an actual photo, and yes, they look Italian.

25. biffuz macrumors member

LOL? They look exactly like every university student in Milan.
    Except the older guy, he's a bit weird, but you can see a lot of people looking like this in every shopping mall in northern Italy.