Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's flagship Fifth Avenue store with its iconic glass cube entrance in Manhattan reopens to the public Friday following multi-year renovations, and ahead of time, the media was invited to the store for a preview.

Apple-Store-fifth-avenue-new-york-redesign-exterior-091919.jpg

The underground store has been nearly doubled in size with a higher ceiling and more natural light coming in from 62 skylights added to the store's plaza at ground level. The plaza has also been lined with 28 honey locust trees, linear fountains, and benches for the public to gather around.

Visitors enter by walking down a new stainless steel spiral staircase, or by riding a circular elevator. The staircase is designed with 43 cantilevered stair treads that support a floating cylinder of glass, and the backlit ceiling above combines natural and artificial light to match the sunlight throughout the day.

Apple-Store-fifth-avenue-new-york-redesign-interior-091919.jpg

The store is now equipped with a Forum for Today at Apple sessions, which begin Saturday with a special series that "captures the creative spirit of New York." The area dedicated to Geniuses has also doubled, which will "dramatically increase" the store's ability to serve customers and service products.

Steve Jobs personally welcomed the first customers to Apple Fifth Avenue when the store opened in 2006. Since then, Apple says the location has had over 57 million visitors, and more visitors on an annual basis than other New York City landmarks like the Statue of Liberty and Empire State Building.

Apple CEO Tim Cook:
Our customers are at the center of everything we do, and Apple Fifth Avenue is for them, to inspire them, and to provide the very best place to discover our newest products. It's unique among Apple stores, and today it returns even more welcoming, and even more beautiful than ever. We're so proud to be a part of this great city where so much happens every day.
Apple Fifth Avenue reopens Friday at 8 a.m. local time and remains the company's only retail store open 24 hours per day and 365 days per year. Apple says the store will be staffed with 900 employees who speak over 30 languages.

Article Link: Apple Previews Revamped Fifth Avenue Flagship Store in New York City

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I like what they’ve been doing with the plants in the store. It looks like how I want the future to look—mankind a bit more in harmony with nature with clean air and well designed spaces that have lots of natural light and more organic forms and materials. It’s a shame we can’t get this aesthetic in more places.

The Barron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Central California Coast
The original store there, although nice, was Claustrophobia City downstairs. :eek: Talk about a seething cauldron of humanity not to mention the noise! So glad to see this much-needed refurbishment of an iconic store in America.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
I know this is nit-picky: but the pillars have a seam going down them, make them look like their wrapped in crappy metal platting.

Reactions: aandre

Dizzler

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2009
Am I the only one who is put off by these new Apple stores? I recently wandered into my local store and was shocked at how high-end it had become since last visit. It was extremely intimidating to see 30 or so Apple employees, all dressed alike, each turn to face me as I walked in. All the nice and shiny Apple products were displayed on the tables but there was not a price display anywhere. All I have to say is "I'm just looking, not buying."

Apple Freak

macrumors regular
May 22, 2009
Wow, new store looks awesome! I love going into my local Apple Store in San Diego, makes me feel at home every time I walk in.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

Apple's flagship Fifth Avenue store with its iconic glass cube entrance in Manhattan reopens to the public Friday following multi-year renovations, and ahead of time, the media was invited to the store for a preview.

Apple-Store-fifth-avenue-new-york-redesign-exterior-091919.jpg

The underground store has been nearly doubled in size with a higher ceiling and more natural light coming in from 62 skylights added to the store's plaza at ground level. The plaza has also been lined with 28 honey locust trees, linear fountains, and benches for the public to gather around.

Visitors enter by walking down a new stainless steel spiral staircase, or by riding a circular elevator. The staircase is designed with 43 cantilevered stair treads that support a floating cylinder of glass, and the backlit ceiling above combines natural and artificial light to match the sunlight throughout the day.

Apple-Store-fifth-avenue-new-york-redesign-interior-091919.jpg

The store is now equipped with a Forum for Today at Apple sessions, which begin Saturday with a special series that "captures the creative spirit of New York." The area dedicated to Geniuses has also doubled, which will "dramatically increase" the store's ability to serve customers and service products.

Steve Jobs personally welcomed the first customers to Apple Fifth Avenue when the store opened in 2006. Since then, Apple says the location has had over 57 million visitors, and more visitors on an annual basis than other New York City landmarks like the Statue of Liberty and Empire State Building.

Apple CEO Tim Cook:Apple Fifth Avenue reopens Friday at 8 a.m. local time and remains the company's only retail store open 24 hours per day and 365 days per year. Apple says the store will be staffed with 900 employees who speak over 30 languages.

Article Link: Apple Previews Revamped Fifth Avenue Flagship Store in New York City

Fifth Avenue isn’t the only 24/7 Apple Store. Apple Store Piazza Liberty in Milan, Italy is also underground and open 24/7. It opened last year I believe.

EDIT: Hmmm reports said it was 24/7, but on their website it looks like it isn’t.

Last edited:

EW800

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
Tim Cook stated: "Our customers are at the center of everything we do"

I am not sure how he says that with a straight face! :)

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
30 phones on one table.. that's 30,000+ USD of product on one table alone... more impressive than at Tiffany's

I don't think you've actually been in Tiffany's, then.
[automerge]1568911350[/automerge]
Pardon me, but don't they all look like this?

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Hopefully the Apple Stores design will improve the customers experience. I find them frustrating and chaotic, especially when busy. Buying new products, stick you on any open table. The design like an airplane, one big tube of chaos at times.

Other then that the tables for product testing seem to work fine.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
This looks much nicer. I previously avoided this store in favor of the one in Grand Central Terminal (unless I needed Apple gear at 3 AM, which actually does happen on occasion).

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Fifth Avenue isn’t the only 24/7 Apple Store. Apple Store Piazza Liberty in Milan, Italy is also underground and open 24/7. It opened last year I believe.

EDIT: Hmmm reports said it was 24/7, but on their website it looks like it isn’t.

I haven't been to Milan for a long time, but most European cities are really quiet at night. Everything closes. The subway closes, too, around midnight I think?
There's hardly people on the streets.
A 24/7 store might make sense in NYC. But not many other cities.

Reactions: newyorksole
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.