Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

12CoreMP

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2015
Edinburgh, Scotland
I am sure I am not alone thinking that Apple are just taking advantage of its customers in the UK. The museum piece that is the Mac Pro (trash can) price has just increased by £500 because of the pounds weakness against the dollar since the Brexit vote. There is no way that Apple can justify that.

Perhaps if they started to innovate again they would not need to charge extortionate prices for what in reality is no better than most of their competitors hardware.

My cMP will now be used until it dies and I will move on to pastures new. I am sure HP or Microsoft will certainly tempt me without feeling like I am being fleeced.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
It's strictly a currency adjustment.
Nothing sinister on Apple's part.
On the other hand, when the Pound buys $1.70 again in the future
I doubt Apple will lower their prices in the UK to reflect that.
But that's SOP for most especially greedy businesses.

As you can tell from many of the posts here, quite a few believe the MP
is dead so it's prolly a good idea to plan for a transition to Hackintosh or W10.
Good luck.

Last edited:

js2704

macrumors member
May 20, 2015
I am sure I am not alone thinking that Apple are just taking advantage of its customers in the UK. The museum piece that is the Mac Pro (trash can) price has just increased by £500 because of the pounds weakness against the dollar since the Brexit vote. There is no way that Apple can justify that.

Perhaps if they started to innovate again they would not need to charge extortionate prices for what in reality is no better than most of their competitors hardware.

My cMP will now be used until it dies and I will move on to pastures new. I am sure HP or Microsoft will certainly tempt me without feeling like I am being fleeced.

Well, the currency's down 17% so far and it seems likely to go further once the actual exit process starts so a 20% hike isn't that surprising (although no doubt the daily mail will blame immigrants or something).

The price of top end machines does seem to be rising generally; the new MS surface and the z series are all expensive bits of kit so 3k for a really high end machine is less surprising than it was. I have no idea what apples doing with their desktops though; no update for the Pro since 2013 is little short of a disgrace. I have a 2010 8 core which I'd love to upgrade but I'm not spending 3 grand on 3 year old tech. Will be interesting to see what happens to ebay pricing as a result.

macs4nw

macrumors 601

My feeling is the Pro is not dead, but certainly neglected by Apple. I believe it will eventually be updated with appropriate Xeon processors, the latest graphics available at that time, and of course USB-C with TB3. Apple's track record of MacPro updates is just abysmal, but this almost 3yr hiatus at 1045 days and counting, is the longest by far. Earlier I had thought that they were perhaps holding off while working on new TB Displays, but that by now seems not to be happening in the near future evidenced by their collaboration with LG and their UltraFine 4K and 5K displays.

Not sure whether their excuse is pre-occupation with iOS toys, or their bizarre believe that such expensive Pro hardware is less likely to be upgraded by Pro consumers on a frequent enough level to justify Apple's more timely updates.

Frustrating nevertheless for many Pro users making their living with these workhorses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.