Apple Print Utility for Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kashchei, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I just read something on MacWorld.com about how old laser printers--I still use a LaserWriter 16/600--need to be reconfigured to work with Snow Leopard. Unfortunately, I used to know how to do things with the Classic OS's "Apple Print Utility" but I don't think that there is an OS X equivalent. Does anyone know of one? All I want to do is be able to do the normal things: turn on/off the start up page, find out the IP address, load fonts, etc. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

I don't know if this will help, but here's the error message I get from the printer when I try to print. If there is no way to get this to work, I'll buy another printer. However, I don't want to toss it in the trash before I try everything first--it has worked well for me up until my upgrade to Snow Leopard!

Attached Files:

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Use the Terminal command:
    telnet {IP of Laserwriter}
    It will offer you some simple menu commands like ? for help.

Read this if there's a password required:
    http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-20846.html
    more info:
    http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/archive/macosx-talk/1997-September/002507.html

If you plan to use the IP protocol "LPD," it's important that you enter the printer's queue name (sometimes called port name) into the Add printer dialog in Print & Fax. Get the queue name from the printer's config page or printer's telnet "show config" command.

3. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Thank you so much for your help with this problem!

When I tried to telnet my laserwriter, I was told that the host was down and that I was unable to connect to the printer (I have attached the terminal screen below). If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears! Thank you again for your help!

Attached Files:

4. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Please tell us what the local IP address of your Mac is - and some details of your local network, too - router IP, subnet mask, etc.

I don't have that printer - do you have the manual? Do you have the config switch instructions? Do you have it connected directly to ethernet and NOT through a localtalk bridge like Farallon or Asante?
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TA34819?viewlocale=en_US
    http://listserv.vt.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9610&L=techsupport&P=2007
    http://slayo.com/reset-the-configuration-of-a-used-apple-laserwriter-16600-printer.html

5. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

My IP address is 24.98.228.240 and my network info is attached below. Thank you so much for your help!

Attached Files:

6. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Ya, I meant the stuff on the right side, not your internet address.
    So just confirm your printer is connected by ethernet and not with a localtalk bridge.

7. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Sorry to include the wrong information--I realize I'm over my head!

I'm not quite sure what you mean by a localtalk bridge. My printer is attached to my network by way of an Asante Friendlynet, which allows me to plug it into my router. I hope this helps and isn't TMI!

8. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

I think we're getting somewhere... I don't have Asante Friendlynet - is it a small ethernet port receptacle with a couple of lights, and a short cable that goes to a 3/4 inch D-shape connector on the printer - and NOT a small round Apple localtalk connector?

And when you get the configuration of the printer (print out a config page), does it show that 192.168.0.200 IP address and netmask 255.255.255.0?

If so, try adding the print in Print & Fax. select IP printer, then select LPD. enter the printer IP address, AND enter the queue name of raw. Select model if not already selected, finish up and try it.

9. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Here's a picture of a Friendlynet. I think you described it quite well.

I turned off the config page before I upgraded to Snow Leopard, so I don't know how to print one out now

Just in case the printer had the settings you thought they did, I added the printer as you described. Unfortunately, the results were the same. Does this mean the settings for the printer are different?

10. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Forgot the picture!

Attached Files:

11. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

OK, good - you are definitely connected to the printer by ethernet. It sounds like the printer's config is "unknown." Can't telnet, no config page, etc. And I can't find clear instructions about the config switches at the back of printer. I'm at a loss here. Oh, the config page isn't the same as the startup page. Is there a button on the back of the printer that causes a config page printout?

12. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

There was only one switch on the back of the printer, and it didn't force the printer to spit out a config page. I have a G5 in my office at work, so I can reinstall OS 9 on this machine, complete with the Apple Print Utility. If I can get it to spit out a config page, what should I do with this information (I'm thinking you won't be online to help me when this happens)

13. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

I finally found the manual online at Apple...
    Set the comm switch on the back to "up."

When you get comm with the printer, set the IP address to what you thought it was - 192.168.0.200 is away from the computer, but the identical first three parts -192.168.0 -mean it is in the same subnet.

Try this - again in the Terminal, this command
    ping 192.168.0.200

If there is a response, then the IP address is correct - if no response, it isn't.

14. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

It told me that the host was down (repeatedly)
    How do I find out (or change) an IP address?

15. milk242 macrumors 6502a

Couldn't you just go to your router configuration page and see what IPs it's assigning out and to what devices? If it doesn't tell you the device name you could and gives you the list of IPs it has assigned out, you could try setting up the printer for each ip address until one works.

16. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Hi milk242 - that would work if the printer is getting IP address by DHCP - but not if a static IP (outside the subnet) has been set.

You change the printer IP address by connecting to it.
    I guess you need to run the Apple Printer Utility in OS 9.

17. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I don't know if this is going to help the diagnostic process or not, but after the update to 10.6.1 there's a change in results when I ping the printer's IP address. In the posts above, I was told immediately that the host was down. Now, the results are a bit different.

If this helps anybody to sort out this problem, I will be eternally in your debt!

Attached Files:

18. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Sorry - it still means that there isn't anything with the address 192.168.0.200.
    Can you give me a brief review of what your local network is - modem - router computer(s)?

OK - nevermind that - I see up above that you have a Vonage router - so the printer's ethernet goes to the Vonage router?

19. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I have Vonage, so my cable plugs into their device (Motorola P/N 498805-007-00), which then plugs into my D-Link Router (DI-624). My printer plugs into the Asante FriendlyNet, which plugs into the router. I am using an airport connection on my Mini, but I can use an ethernet connection if this will help to diagnose the problem.

Thank you again so much for your help!

20. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Please tell me the Motorola (Vonage) model, rather than part number. This is a "complication" in your home network I didn't know about. Is the Vonage-Motorola box a router? Is it possible your mini is using the Vonage for wireless, and not the Dlink?

21. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Sorry--I didn't include anything but the part number last evening since the device doesn't have this information written anywhere on it. I dug through all my manuals and found the one for the vonage device. It is a Motorola VT1000v Series Voice Terminal. This device may be a router or a switch, but certainly not a wireless one. For this reason I don't think the mini is using the vonage rather than the d-link.

Let me know if you have any further insights and thank you again for your help!

22. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

I don't "think" your setup will cause the printer to not respond to pings.... but, let's get your Vonage-motorola and your Dlink working together correctly first.

When you have two routers connected sequentially, strange things can happen - even though your internet seems OK.
    Make these changes on your Dlink: (you might need to connect the mini via ethernet for this)
    1. Connect to the Internal web server page of the Dlink and Turn Off the DHCP server.
    2. Take the ethernet cable that comes from the Vonage-motorola and unplug it from the WAN/internet port of the Dlink, and then plug it into one of the LAN/local ethernet ports on the Dlink.

These two steps put the Dlink into Wireless Access Point (bridge) mode. The Vonage is now the "router" that passes out IP addresses to all devices in your network.

Now try the ping from mini to printer (assumed) address.
    I don't have a Mac in front of me, but I think maybe you can use the Network Utility to scan a range of IP addresses to see if port 515 (LPD) or port 9100 (HP Jetdirect) is open - which would be the printer.

23. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Thank you so much for your help here, and I'm sorry it has taken so long to respond. I've been working to turn off my DHCP server, but I can't quite figure out how. At this point, I'm going to take the printer up to my office tomorrow morning, reinstall OS 9, and find out the IP address once and for all. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks again for all your help!