Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple's new Pro Card gives you some added benefits beyond owning the PowerMac G5.

These benefits include:

- Transfer of your existing file to your new G5
- 10% off Software for one day
- Free installation of software
- Next-day Appointment with a Mac Genius
- First to know about upcoming Events, and exclusive Offers

Few details available, it's unclear if the card comes with the G5 or has an additional charge.

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
At the Cambridge store after the keynote was over they said that if you ordered a machine today you got one of these pro cards...I think..maybe it was something else, but I thought it was a Pro Card of some sorts.

BEN

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
not much....

No big deal really. I could get one just to have in my pocket. Because it looks cool.
But the perks you get for having aren't
that exciting. Having someone install your software for you? I don’t think I could call myself professional if I needed that...

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
While I think this "pro" card-carrying level may be a good idea, this, much like .mac, needs to have a killer app for it to be worth much of anything. But on the positive side (which I rated this) the 10% 1 day discount and reserved genius time is nice to hear, although I would think at least half the people reading these boards could teach the geniuses a thing or two about their systems.

And FYI, there is no joy in first posting in these forums. It's not a race, so there's no need to gloat. Lets keep it off in the future. Thx.

<edit> as for me thinking paid or included, I think they would be included with a pro-level machine that you're already paying premium price for. And along those lines, what's the point in offering a discount if you have to pay for it? </edit>

Longey Nowze

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2001
everything offered is cool specially the transfer of files and 10% off, but software installation?? so i should bring in my PM to install software i bought? that is supposed to make it faster? I mean if they offered to install unix apps which are hard for most users and setting them for the user than yeah that would be cool! but who doesn't know how to click an instal button??

thank you
MaT

macFanDave

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2003
If you buy a PowerMac G5

and you need to have someone install software for you, you are probably better off with an eMac and saving a few THOUSAND dollars.

Personally, I think eMac is a fine machine and I am even questioning my own need for the powerful G5. I may go for a suddenly super-cheap dual G4 (even though it is still a Moto chip) or work myself into a frenzy and go for the new beauty! In any case, I can install my own software, thank you very much!

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
I think it's boll0cks. Should I ship my G5 over the pond so some Genius can install my software? If I can't do that, I've no business getting a G5 in the first place. And 10% off software for a whole day? I can get at least 15% off by not going to the Apple Store. Someone's taking the pi55...:mad:

battlecat

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
San Diego
pro card is free

For what it's worth, I listened to the Pro Card pitch after the keynote at Apple Store Fashion Valley. The deal is that you must purchase a G5 in any Apple retail store to recieve the card. No extra charge.

TheOne

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2003
St Louis
From what I was told at the Apple Store today, you have to pre-order the PowerMac G5 threw the Apple Store to get the card. Also, you could not get the card if you used student discounts because those orders go threw the Education Store in Apple's Online Store. The final thing I learned today is that if you order a G5 today it would still be counted as part of the new School year (the old ends on the 30th of June. the new starts on the 1st of July) since the PowerMacs would not be charged to you until August. The ones who get the card also have a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee thing. (it is on the little flyer they gave me)

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
This is just plain silly to most of us. I don't find anything easy about lugging a PowerMac to an Apple Store so they can transfer my files. Then what? I have to lug TWO computers home the next day! No thanks. 10% off is good but savings can be found elsewhere for software. As for installing our software, it's a weird thing. Ofcourse most of us here would have absolutely no problem tweaking and setting up our systems to our spec, let alone install software, but you'd be surprised what goes on in a lot of companies. I remember a while back I was contracting as a designer for a magazine and they had a tech guy who would come around on the day of a software update and install and update everyone's machines for us. You'd be surprised how many people there actually needed to have this done. Most of them had no clue. They didn't even no how to allocate memory and the like. And these were 40 year old pro designers who had been working on Macs since the old days. It was jaw-dropping. So, given that most pro users either do all this themselves or have someone assigned to do it for them, I'm having a really hard time finding any good use for this feature either. And finally, the Genius appointment; I've been to the Apple Store and talked with these guys and I was left very unimpressed. Some couldn't answer some basic quesitons. If this is free, I'd say "sure, I'll take it.", if only for the software discount. But if someone expects me to pay for this, well I guess it's time to get the "Sucker" tatoo removed from my forehead.

jacka55

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2002
Re: Apple Pro Card

Originally posted by Macrumors
Few details available, it's unclear if the card comes with the G5 or has an additional charge.

According to MacCentral <http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/06/24/procard/>, it comes with the purchase of a new G5, and that's what the description sounds like to me: "Buy your Power Mac G5 right now and your Pro Day could be today." I say that's what I call service. I don't have money for a G5 right now, but the look of that card makes it worth it for me. Especially if it was made of aluminum. That would be awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.