Apple Pro Employee Salaries

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by brandon1040, Oct 29, 2007.

1. brandon1040 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know how much Apple Employees make? I am considering getting a degree in Computer Science.

I am NOT limiting myself just to Apple, however that would be the most preferred company.

Specifically how much would a starting Software Engineer make? Or something close.

Also if you have other salaries from other Apple Positions or Other companies, feel free to post.

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i highly doubt anyone will post that information on here

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Followed by millions in stock options ;) I believe that arrangement allows him to skirt standard income tax rates and social security.

OP, your best bet would be to ask people in the field. It's highly unlikely that you'll find an Apple employee on these forums (it's against Apple's policy). I'm sure that Apple pays at around the industry average (with perks like free hardware/software and such).

4. cmm macrumors 6502a

Why can't apple employees be on this site?

FWIW: google employees make about 30k a year. even the top. but they are paper millionaires.

Stock options are much more important than your salary as a CS or computer engineer

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Have a look Here on salary ranges on those Hot tech jobs :eek:

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It's against Apple's policy. Several forum members have left in the past because they've gotten jobs at Apple. I guess it prevents leaks from getting out.

Google also offers some insane benefits (free meals, dry cleaning, vets, doctors, dentists, etc, IN HOUSE).

Be careful with that logic, lest another dot com bust happen again ;)

7. cmm macrumors 6502a

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

:confused: Sorry, I'm not following.

9. cmm macrumors 6502a

I'm a day/swing trader. If I'm doing swing trades and the stock drops more than 7.0%, it is automatically sold by my broker. You can set automatic orders to do so. That's a stop/loss order. http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/stop-lossorder.asp

I am assuming people can cash out when they work at a company if they like.

I bought GOOG on IPO day and it has been a successful venture. Just wish I had more money to put into it. :s

But there's always the emerging markets. ; -)

You own a macbook pro, by any chance? No one has bit at the questions I have asked in the buying forum and could use some advice before I drop 5-6k. I also need a nice set of speakers and an external HDD.

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Ahh, I see what you meant. Nonetheless, many of those programmers during the dot com bubble kept thinking that the good times would never end, and that's where trouble begins ;)

PS: I'm looking for your question in the Buying Tips forum right now :)

11. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

To be honest all entry level jobs will pay little. People fresh out of college make enough to pay rent and their student loans. My advice would be to get a job doing some computer stuff while you are in school. That way you have work experience.

12. cmm macrumors 6502a

Well, that's their stupidity.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

what are you smoking if you think that. I graduated in Dec and yes I am looking for a job and for me it is $45k/year plus benefits before I even will talk with you and I am not making any insane demands there. That is below average for my degree starting. 50-52k being more in the norm. I have friends who will not talk to a company for less than 75k and that is not insane to demand. that is the competitive rate for his major.

For CS I would be expecting at least 50k a year but I do not know that major as well as others. I do expect it to be higher than mine.

As for my personally major it is Construction Engineering Technology. I am in the college of Engineering so that should explain why much higher than average expecting starting pay.

14. cmm macrumors 6502a

Heh, my friend (not recommending this) works for AT&T. He lied about having a BS in CS and makes 80k a year. Been there about 4 years. Granted it is in DC, but it's still a lot of money.

He was offered a huge promotion (120k a year), but he'd have to commute to NYC and DC back and forth bi-weekly and take on some management duties, so he turned it down.

He does this as he studies for his degree in philosophy.

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

ooo I strongly recommend against every pulling a stunt like that. Lying on ones resume is great way to get oneself fired. If they ever back check him they can and a lot of the time will fire him on the spot. It speaks volumes about integrity.

Your friend better pray they never back check him and right now they have grounds for termination. No unemployment can be collect. No severance package. Nothing. Oh and this can always be used against him as long as he works for ATT

16. cmm macrumors 6502a

They did an initial background check when he applied for the position. Passed.

He registered and took classes at said college, but didn't get a degree. Probably why he passed.

He doesn't care if he gets fired. His SO makes 50k and he's doing his doctorate in philosophy right now.

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

background checks and back checking are 2 different things. Every company does a background check. Now all of them will back check things on resumes. 2 very different things.

Also everyone needs to remember companies talk.

18. cmm macrumors 6502a

He's been with the company for years now. Offered management jobs. Turned them down. I'm sure they've done all the checking they can do.

And do you keep missing the part where he is getting his PhD in philosophy? He's going into an academic career - has no desire to work in CS, it just pays bills better than other jobs and he has the equivalent of a MS in it.

19. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well this time next year i'll hopefully be looking for a job in the IT field.

20. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

Lot's of people thought that. Oops... they were wrong.

No, I caught the irony. So basically in a few years he'll be lecturing on integrity at a university. Nice.

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

sad isnt it. A unethical person trying to teach ethics and integrity. If I was his boss and found out about what he did I would fire him on the spot. All his integrity is shot.

As I said before he better pray they never go back and check on his resume if he was lying because they can and will fire him if they find out and it will haunt him from that day forward.

22. cmm macrumors 6502a

First, morals and ethics are totally subjective.

Second, that's not his research interest: he's interested in artificial intelligence, viz., the singularity.

First, it wouldn't haunt him.

Second, have you ever lied?

He has been at the job for years - so obviously he must know a thing or two about CS or he wouldn't have lasted long.

Third, you're not his boss - evidently, they're too stupid to know he never got a bachelors degree.

Fourth, he's only interested in the ethics of AI vs humans. And once again, ethics and morality are totally subjective.

23. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I agree. I was making 40K a year 20 years ago when I left uni (BEng).

24. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

like others said, Apple Employees are instructed to steer clear of these sites, due to rumors and leaks.

As for salary, like others said, anywhere from $1 to im sure a few million for some of the other in 3rd and 4th command