Apple Pro Keyboard, what switch type does it use?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AT0MAC, Sep 29, 2013.

  1. AT0MAC macrumors regular


    Jun 4, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I have (among others) an Apple Pro keyboard from around year 2000:


    As I am at the moment in the search of finding the perfect mechanical and backlight keyboard I would like to know what kind of switch it uses?
    Just so I have something to compare it to.

    I know it's not Cherry switches in the Apple keyboard, but what Cherry switch comes closest to be the same kind?
  2. Prodo123 macrumors 68020


    Nov 18, 2010
    This disassembly as well as the translucent keycaps on the side of your picture imply that the Apple Pro Keyboard uses normal silicone domes, i.e. not mechanical.

    Apple Extended Keyboards use Alps switches, which can be found in Matias Pro keyboards (pretty much the exact same ones!). There's really no Cherry equivalent to complicated Alps; Cherry switches are light and crispy, Alps switches have more thunk. I suppose if you really want an "equivalent" the MX Greens would be the closest.

Share This Page