Apple Pro Speakers compatibility

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RedCroissant, Oct 17, 2013.

1. RedCroissant Suspended

Does anyone know a very cost effective way to make the Apple Pro speakers that were an upgrade to the iMac G4 compatible with later Macs? I have them(and they are beautiful), but the iMac G5 doesn't have a mini-jack. Do I have to get an adapter, or is there a jack that will go on top of the mini jack that will work?

Thanks for the help!

2. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Though you might see the apple pro speaker jack as a kind of "minijack" the signal passing through it are digital and not analog.

So in order for your apple pro speakers to be used on a modern mac you need http://griffintechnology.com/support/ifire/...

3. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Thank you for this. I was hoping that it would be easier to do, but I guess that was just wishful thinking!

I was just given an iMac G5(1.8GHz) with the Apple Pro keyboard and mouse, an HP scanner, and an HP printer...and all for free. It's amazing really. And when I was picking up the machine, he showed me the eMac and the 1999 iMac that he was selling. When I told him that the speakers on the eMac reminded me of the speakers that came with the iMac G4, he told me to wait a minute and then brought me the speakers(also for free).

So since they are not compatible with my Mac, then I think I'll just take the speakers back to him since he should be able to sell them and actually make money off of them.

Thanks again for the response!

4. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I don't think it would be too difficult to make your own amp for the Pro Speakers. Two LM386s should do the job. I think, after the the little triangular piece where all three of the Pro Speaker's wires meet, the wires leading to the speakers themselves are just standard positive and negative speaker wires.

It would make a fun little weekend project.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you're not up to building your own adapter for them, look for a set of Cube speakers. Same thing, but with a USB plug.

6. Antoni Nygaard macrumors 6502a

Antoni Nygaard

I have the pro speakers and cut the cable and plugged it in my sound system and connected the sound system it to my iMac