Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MAW

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2007
Los Angeles
i don't see why not as the connection looks to be your run of the mill 3.5 mm stereo "mini" jack. but why not drop a few $$ more and go for these, or these?

i would imagine the sound quality is much better than those silly silver buttons!!

mac-n-cheese

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2007
Cool, thanks for the info!

They won't work, unfortunately. The Apple Pro speakers don't have a standard 3.5mm jack but rather a proprietary Apple speaker jack. The coresponding plug was on the G4 tower (Sawtooth -- Mirror Drive Doors) and the Cube, possibly some others.

You can replace the jack with a standard 3.5mm jack but then they are no longer powered and sound very weak unless you have a strong output feed. E.g., I have a pair hooked up to a small radio in my shower and they sound fine. Output from my iMac, however, is too weak to drive the speakers without amplification.

powz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Thanks, saved me from buying them! I wish Apple would just stick with industry standards...or their own standards, at that. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.