Apple Pro Speakers - How do they open?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by applegeek13, May 14, 2011.

1. applegeek13 macrumors regular

I have a pair of Apple Pro Speakers, and I can see that the wires came off in one of them. I'd like to re-solder them in, so I can enjoy my music. How do I open these beasts without causing serious damage?

Thank you!

2. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

You can always try some alcohol to breakup the adhesive. I've never tried opening the Pro Speakers but knock-offs I have had just have clips, you could probably use an iPod pry tool. Make sure to use a tool that is made of a soft plastic so you do not damage the speakers. A screw driver would be quick but it would damage the plastic as it has higher mohs.

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

If Apple has followed their usual MO for the assembly of their peripherals I doubt that the plastic housing is designed to be taken apart.

I don't know if this will give you access or not but the speakers (not the clear housing) have 3 tiny screws equidistant around the perimeter of the white part. It's possible that removing these screws will give you access to the wire connections.

4. applegeek13, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011

applegeek13 thread starter macrumors regular

I'll try the screws. Thank you!

EDIT: I tried the screws, they get the speaker housing out of the shell. The cable sort of slides through the back opening. It took a little effort, but it works!