Apple Pro Speakers

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by xtempo, Mar 5, 2014.

1. xtempo macrumors 6502

xtempo

Went to a repair shop today to get screws for my PB G4 luckily they had an old PB there. Almost asked if they would sell it but decided against it though they do seem to get the towers occasionally. If I had went there a few months ago I could have gotten a G4:(

Anyway found these speakers and got them for $5. How can I use them? they won't plug into any jack. Is there something missing? Can I use these without another part?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Those Apple Pro speakers use the proprietary connector on the PowerMac G4 Digital Audio model, and later PM G4s, then dropped when the PowerMac G5 was released.
    Same connector is available on iMac G4s, also dropped when the iMac G5 was released.
    I don't think a simple adapter will work, as the connector provides power to the speakers.
    Griffin used to sell a device called the iFire that was designed to use those speakers. It is years out of stock now, and still seems really expensive on eBay, etc.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Because of the proprietary connector that also provides power, if you want to connect them to a normal speaker cable/plug you'll have to do some modding.

There's several sites on the internet that show you how to do this. It involves cutting up and splicing wires.

4. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

thanks for the info. I found iMac G4 local on CL though it was from last month. Maybe I'll get lucky.

I'll keep these since when I first saw a pair like it I declined to pick it up. I will look into the mod or might wait until I get a PowerMac G4. I originally had Quicksilver and regret getting rid of that. Did that version have the jack for the speakers?

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

My Quicksilver came with Apple Pro speakers and yes, it has the jack for them.

6. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

wish I kept it then hopefully I can find a replacement

7. robertdsc macrumors regular

robertdsc

The MDDs also have a port for these speakers. They sound delightful.

8. AmestrisXServe macrumors 6502

You need to cut off the tip, then follow these steps:

Use a gauge to isolate left-channel, right-channel, common, and VCC: You will need to open the speakers, and do a continuity test on the wires, unless you find a wire colour guide.

Wire VCC and common to a power-in port. (I believe these use +5VDC.)
    Wire L/R, and common, to a standard phono plug (you want a tri-segment, left, right, and common, style).

Connect a basic PSU to your new power-in jack, and connect the phono plug to your system.

To be honest, I wasn't too impressed with the audio on these, as you have no amp control; but they look brilliant.

9. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

I might wait to find a G4 since I don't seem to be good at electrical stuff like that.

10. RedCroissant Suspended

I just looked on Amazon and they have 5 iFire's available. The only thing is that the price point is ridiculous. The cheapest is at $185 and the most expensive is $250. good luck with that!

11. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

Like I said earlier I rather wait and find another Quicksilver like I had before

12. iwantamacmini macrumors newbie

Funnily enough I've just done this today after years of wanting a set of these speakers.

Buy this

http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepa...lifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Snip off the wires just before the dual connector. Strip them 1 cm back. Ignore the multiple outer shielding wires - cut them off. Pull back the foil. Strip off 5mm of each remaining wire

Inside you'll find Brown and Blue which are Negative - and Yellow and White which are Positive +

Stick the bare wires in the amp you just bought. Use direct mode because the bass it adds is rubbish.

Enjoy. Seriously. The amp is 20 UKP and the speaker are what you can get but I bought a mint set for £30. Do it..

13. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

I have a quicksilver now so I can use the speakers. I wish though that the cable for the speakers were longer. Did apple ever sell an extension cable? It seems that the speakers have to be right close by the G4.

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I seem to recall there being two kinds of these speakers. The much more common iMac G4 ones and the PowerMac G4 ones. The PowerMac ones have a longer cord and I think have black speaker cones as opposed to the white cones on the iMac's.

15. robertdsc macrumors regular

robertdsc

Correct. I own one set of each. I also have the USB Pro Speakers that plug into the ADC Cinema HD display connected to my G5.

As for extension cables, Griffin, makers of the iFire, also made an extension cable for the Pro Speakers, but I've seen only one place it was available at and that place says it's out of stock. Do a search for Griffin 5217-APSE.

16. Aameiel macrumors regular

Aameiel

I came in to post this !! I did this also and it works great!!

17. xtempo thread starter macrumors 6502

xtempo

the speakers aren't really important so I just keep the setup I have and save my money. I am going to have to take a break from getting Mac stuff lately and focus on some more important things.

18. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Even with the iFire they cut out on newer Macs after a certain volume level.

19. gargantu macrumors newbie

Well two year old necrobump aside, those "black coned" versions that were sold for PowerMac G4's and had the extra long cable seem to be extremely rare. I found out the hard way about the short cable on the white coned iMac versions and I've been looking to replace them with the black coned longer cable variant for months but they never seem to show up for sale anywhere.