Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jameslennard95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2015
Thorpe Hesley
i recently bought an iMac G4 in almost perfect condition. The Apple pro speakers are in great condition and work fine whilst the Mac is booting up. However, after bootup, no sound comes through them. I have tried altering the computer's audio/midi settings, restarting the computer and played around with the sound settings. The only option listed is built in speakers. Can anyone help? I'm told these speakers are really cool and I would love to get them working again. Thanks in advance!

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
i recently bought an iMac G4 in almost perfect condition. The Apple pro speakers are in great condition and work fine whilst the Mac is booting up. However, after bootup, no sound comes through them. I have tried altering the computer's audio/midi settings, restarting the computer and played around with the sound settings. The only option listed is built in speakers. Can anyone help? I'm told these speakers are really cool and I would love to get them working again. Thanks in advance!
Make sure they are plugged into the correct jack

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
There are 3 jacks on the iMac G4, Line In, Line Out, and the proprietary jack for the pro speakers. The jack you want is the one that is furthest on the left of the computer. The pro speakers wont work in the normal line out jack, or with any other device except the PMG4.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
There are 3 jacks on the iMac G4, Line In, Line Out, and the proprietary jack for the pro speakers. The jack you want is the one that is furthest on the left of the computer. The pro speakers wont work in the normal line out jack, or with any other device except the PMG4.
The Pro Speakers require a special jack. So, if he's getting sound from them on boot then he has it plugged in to the correct one. It's a smaller plug so there's no way he'd get sound from having it in the standard jack (it'd be way too loose).

Also, these were designed for the iMac G4 originally. The PMG4 (some models, including mine) had the jack as well.

Reactions: Jameslennard95

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Then you do not have an iMac G4. You have an Intel Mac.

No G4 Mac can run Snow Leopard.

And no computer other than the iMac G4 and certain PowerMac G4s(digital audio, Quicksilver, and MDD) had the correct jack.

The iMac G4 is quite distinctive-it has a "half dome" base and an LCD monitor on an articulated arm. The subsequent iMac G5 and early Intel iMacs use a self-contained polycarbonate "box" with the scree, logic board, and everything else and supported on a stand that was effectively a bent piece of aluminum.

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.