Apple Pro Speakers

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Jameslennard95, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Jameslennard95 macrumors newbie

Jameslennard95

i recently bought an iMac G4 in almost perfect condition. The Apple pro speakers are in great condition and work fine whilst the Mac is booting up. However, after bootup, no sound comes through them. I have tried altering the computer's audio/midi settings, restarting the computer and played around with the sound settings. The only option listed is built in speakers. Can anyone help? I'm told these speakers are really cool and I would love to get them working again. Thanks in advance!

2. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Make sure they are plugged into the correct jack

3. Jameslennard95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jameslennard95

They definitely are.. they make the initial boot-up hum but nothing after that

4. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

There are 3 jacks on the iMac G4, Line In, Line Out, and the proprietary jack for the pro speakers. The jack you want is the one that is furthest on the left of the computer. The pro speakers wont work in the normal line out jack, or with any other device except the PMG4.

5. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The Pro Speakers require a special jack. So, if he's getting sound from them on boot then he has it plugged in to the correct one. It's a smaller plug so there's no way he'd get sound from having it in the standard jack (it'd be way too loose).

Also, these were designed for the iMac G4 originally. The PMG4 (some models, including mine) had the jack as well.

7. Jameslennard95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jameslennard95

Thanks so far. The computer is running OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Then you do not have an iMac G4. You have an Intel Mac.

No G4 Mac can run Snow Leopard.

9. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

And no computer other than the iMac G4 and certain PowerMac G4s(digital audio, Quicksilver, and MDD) had the correct jack.

The iMac G4 is quite distinctive-it has a "half dome" base and an LCD monitor on an articulated arm. The subsequent iMac G5 and early Intel iMacs use a self-contained polycarbonate "box" with the scree, logic board, and everything else and supported on a stand that was effectively a bent piece of aluminum.

10. Jameslennard95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jameslennard95

My apologies... just checked and the iMac is a G4 PowerPC and is running 10.5.8. I just had 10.6 in my head.