Apple pro speakers!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Gotmoose, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Gotmoose macrumors newbie

I had a set recently given to me. I've searched high and low and have found that only the ifire device by griffin will make these work on my computers (MacBook, iMac). Unfortunately these are only found on eBay and cost over $200. Is there another option that someone has found or figured out?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Get some Harman Kardon Sound Sticks? They are much better sounding, the same look and cheaper then trying to get the Apple Pro Speakers to work.

3. studio¹³¹ macrumors 6502

studio¹³¹

dont waste your time w/ those apple speakers. i have the harmon kardon sticks too -- i used to think they were great until i got a klipsch 5.1 system for 50.00 less than the hk which made me realize how muddy the sound out of those sticks really are...

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Let me be clear, I'm a fan of the Swan's. But I assume if you are trying to use the Pro Speakers its because of the looks, not the sound.

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

The problem with the Apple Pro speakers is that they are powered speakers that use a proprietary connector to connect to a proprietary powered speaker port on iMacs and Power Macs. To use them with any other computer (Mac or PC) would require some form of replacement for the powered port, hence the Griffin iFire. As far as I know the Griffin iFire was the only way to use these speakers other than with the original Macs. If you're really set on the design, I believe that Apple also made a set that connected via USB for use with the Cube. I THINK these can be used with other computers.

6. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

200 bucks?!?! Try less than $50.... I think you should search on ebay again... A search for apple pro speakers shows 19 different ones all less than 50 bucks except for one pair.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

iThink the OP is referring to the Griffin iFire, which is available for a starting auction of $60 and Buy It Now of $199.

8. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy