Apple processors on MacBook Pro's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MagicMouse, Feb 8, 2010.

1. MagicMouse macrumors regular

MagicMouse

With the release of the iPad it was revealed that Apple is using their own branded processors to some degree.

How would you feel if Apple started using their own processors and dumped Intel?

Good? Bad? Just curious about the consensus.

2. Quicksilver867 macrumors regular

Eh. The A4 in the iPad wasn't really made by Apple at all. The likelihood is so low it isn't even funny, but as long as Apple came up with something that was competitive in price and speed (and compatibility, x86, SSE4, blah blah) I would be OK with it.

3. kenbrinkman macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's not really an Apple chip to begin with. If they really wanted to make their own chip it'd probably have a ton of problems and take years until they actually got it right.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It's not going to happen. The R&D costs are too high.

6. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

We don't really know what those Apple CPUs are capable off, unless they are on par with i5/7s, we won't see them in future MBPs for the next year or three.

And they have a completely different architecture beneath them, so no X86 OS support.

8. MagicMouse thread starter macrumors regular

MagicMouse

I personally think they should never use them in the MBP or and other actual computers. They are too obsessed with owning brand naming on ALL of their hardware. Intel is a good brand and specialize in processors.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What makes you think Apple is obsessed with brand naming all their hardware?

The PPC name was from IBM and is still in use.

As far as I know, Apple has very little if even none of their own hardware components inside any of their products, except the A4 CPU now.
    Can you tell me any other?

10. ronjon10 macrumors regular

Intel is the only reason I started with Macs on my iMac. I'm seriously considering a MB pro to replace my current Thinkpad. I guarantee that won't happen if they don't stick with Intel.

11. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

Even as far back as ][gs most Apple machines have had some Apple specific silicon in them. They are generally things that add the "Apple difference". I understand the current MacBooks have a custom track pad driver and battery manager chips. Still a relatively small amount of silicon compared to the overall product.

Not that they ever owned a fab, it's all made on contract just as the A4 is.

If the A4 goes in the MacBooks it will be as a coprocessor instead of other custom chips like those if the price suits (after all the A4 will have major volume over chips just for the MacBooks but major size increase as well).

It could then also handle a lot of day to day system tasks and keep the x86 in extra low power mode if using Apple apps. The if Graphics cores could work in tandem with the Intel IGP then the Macbooks could have improved graphics without a dedicated GPU which would still be needed on the Pro's.

Even that is pretty major pie in the sky stuff. Plus Apple are going to want to road test the A4 with it's market trial in the iPad. So not likely to happen this update.

12. Anawrahta macrumors member

Do we really want to go back to the Power architecture??? No thanks.

Although I wouldn't put it past apple to do something like this, to gain more control...the filthy beasts.

13. vant macrumors 65816

To gain more control... Of their own product?

14. cathyy macrumors 6502a

If Apple dared to dump the Intel processors and I had to buy a new laptop today, I'd buy the HP Envy without a doubt. I only bought my MBP cause it packed so much power into such a tiny package (at least it did when I bought it) and not for the OS.

I'm pretty sure a significant amount of Mac owners wouldn't have made the switch if it weren't for Boto Camp either.