Apple Products and Plusnet problems....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Munkeyfeet, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Munkeyfeet macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I run purely apple products in our household - 2 iPhone 8s, 1 Apple Watch S4, iMac, MacBook and 2 iPads. I also have an airport express powering our kitchen ceiling speakers.

Now I have moved to Plusnet I am experiencing all kinds of issues.

Pretty much all are fluctuating wildly with speed and the iMac is the only one that seems ok now I have switched IPv6 to manual. I have split the signal so the 5ghz is separate but even that isn't perfect.

I had an airport extreme but getting it to link was just a nightmare I gave up on.

So....what modem/router do you guys rock that allows all your apple products to work seamlessly on the internet? I get 70mbps consistently to the house so its the distribution of the signal that is the issue.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Plusnet itself is likely to at least partly be the problem. Terrible, terrible ISP. If you've recently got them and have the option to leave them, I would strongly encourage you do so.

Let's go with the router. Plusnet's stock router is a pile of pap, but if you configure the wireless encryption set to WPA2-PSK (AES) only (no mixed/legacy mode), this should work better. Same goes for any other router you have set.

Please let me know if this works.

3. Munkeyfeet thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the speedy reply - I only have the option for:

2ghz -
    WPA2 ONLY
    WPA only
    WEP (64/40 bits) only available with 802.11 b/g
    none

5ghz -
    WPA2 ONLY
    none

where would I find WPA2 PSK?

I am currently on the WPA2 ONLY mode for both.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Ah right that would be it, WPA2 only. Do you have a different router (even your old ISP's) that you can plug in instead?

You could get a different router that doesn't blow (again, Plusnet's router sucks), but their service is even worse. Sorry to be a dog with a bone here, but is leaving Plusnet an option at this point? If you're still within 30 days you can kick them to the curb.

5. Munkeyfeet thread starter macrumors newbie

Annoyingly no, tied in with them, I had BT before and they were just as bad. Cant get virgin where we are which in our old house worked perfectly.

Which router would you recommend?

6. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Anything ASUS really.

This one upwards will be a huge step forward, depending on your budget: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Dual-...F8&qid=1537976236&sr=8-4&keywords=asus+router

As a rule of thumb with the ASUS routers - the more expensive, the better.