Apple Products Won't Connect To Wireless

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DavidsMac1, Jul 15, 2009.

1. DavidsMac1 macrumors newbie

First off, I am sure to be VERY computer challenged compared to most of you. I apologize for that in advance. Here is the problem. We have been a PC based family for years and years. We just started to go Mac. My son got an iMac and my wife an iTouch. We have a wireless internet network in the house. The wireless is set up w/ Lynksis (I don't know if that makes a difference for my question.) I have connected to this network with more than one computer and more than one laptop. I have never had a problem. My son's iMac (airport) picks up the network and seems to be connected but can't do any more. It cannot connect to the internet. My wife's iTouch is the same. Our PC based computer and laptop will connect though. My son's iMac DOES, however, occasionally connect to the internet using the neighbors VERY weak signal. My wife's iTouch will connect on other networks (i.e. Panera Bread's) so I kno that works as well. PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!! I am going crazy!!! :mad:

2. MTI macrumors 65816

Need a bit more information about your wireless setup, particularly what, if any, security settings were put in place on the wireless router.

Having WEP, WPA, etc. security encryption requires that all the devices log in.

Is the router set to accept the wireless configuration of the new devices? Can't tell you how many times I've seen routers set to only accept 802.11b, but not g or n.

Is the router set to only allow specific ethernet devices on, via the MAC (not Apple's Mac) addresses?

3. eliteneo macrumors member

you could try and reset ur wirless system. just unplug let it cool then replug.

4. DavidsMac1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. It has a WEP password. I have plugged in that password and, as I said, it works with all other devices but not the Macs. I have also reset the router and stuff more than once. That is how I know that the WEP password is right & working on the PC based computer and laptop. ARRRUGHH.

5. bupkiss macrumors newbie

Out of blue disconnected from wifi

Similar to the original post but with another twist. On my Macbook out of the blue can't connect to wifi. I go to SYSTEM PREFERENCES-NETWORK and, lo and behold the lock is unlocked which is supposed to "prevent further changes" (HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?). No networks is selected under NETWORK name and when I go to ADVANCED I check my router name but it times out and I can't connect or re-lock. I have a BELKIN N router. though the neighbors have 3, 2-wires, a d-link, and 4 others.

Any clues as to why/how the LOCK is unlocked?
    Why is this happening?
    What can I do to fix it?
    I hate think that my Macbook is being "hacked" and that someone is getting into preferences.

Thanks for any assistance.

6. MTI macrumors 65816

Thanks for the info . . . what firmware version is your Linksys router running? There was an update which seemed to correct a connection issue in the older routers.

This is from the Apple Support forum regarding the iPod Touch:

In the wifi setup menu of the ipod when you click on the blue triangle to the right of yuor wireless network name, what are the values of the addresses listed there.

Probably specifically the dns address. Try clicking on the dns entry erase whatever is listed there and use: 208.67.222.222 This is an open dns address