Apple promos? Buying new laptop . . .

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nhcowboy1, May 29, 2011.

1. nhcowboy1 macrumors 6502

My kid needs a new laptop for school. I figured he could pick up a less-than-a-year-old 13" MBP on ebay, get applecare, and he'd be good to go . But I noticed a couple of posts here about back-to-school sales . . . so now I'm wondering if we'd be better off just buying new. But it's June - are there really sales this time of year? And do they really always start on Tuesday? (I know Tuesday is new release day - I just didn't realize it's sales day also!)

Look, when it comes to buying anything new . . . well, I'm a real newbie! (Don't even ask how old my laptop is!) So, if you can explain this to me r.e.a.l.l.y s.l.o.w.l.y . . . that would be a big help!

I've already come across some great deals, including a late-'08 15" MBP (unibody) available locally (with about 9 mos. of applecare left), but I'm inclined to think that for a teenager, 3 full years of applecare is probably more important than gHz or screen size.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!!!

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

For the sales, the way that it works is that there is a permanent education discount for college students and their parents, as well as K-12 staff. It's anywhere from $50-$200 depending on what computer/configuration you choose. You can go to http://www.apple.com/education for details about that. One plus here is that were a sizable discount on AppleCare included for students as well.

For the "Back to School" sale that you see mentioned. The computers are the same prices. What is different is that there is a rebate involved if you were to purchase an iPod along with it. Nobody is exactly sure when this is going to start, or if the amount will be different this year. In the past, there was a rebate for the amount of the base model iPod Touch ($229). So basically you get a free iPod (not counting taxes). There are rumblings that you'll be allowed to use it for iPads this year (not whole price, but partial). You can also get a different iPod and pay the difference if it is more expensive, or lose the extra benefit for a smaller one.

Another deal that is permanent is a rebate of $100 towards a printer when bought along with the computer. There is always one offered that costs $100, so you are basically guaranteed a free printer with this bundle. Same rules apply as the iPod - if you get a more expensive one, you pay the full price but get the $100 check in the mail.

One note about their rebates - they're not the normal 4-month wait rebate. You file for the promotions online, and the staff at an Apple Store will help you with this with no issues. You'll get your rebates within a month, and emailed status reports to keep you aprised of what's going on. Rebate is in the form of a paper check. No Visa gift cards or weird other things here. It's legit :)

3. nhcowboy1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks - I've heard about the free printer . . . didn't realize it's always available. And definitely knew about the student discount!

So, if I've got this right, our choice is between the following:

(a) Teenager + nearly new MBP + 1-2 yrs. Applecare

(b) Teenager + new MBP + free printer + free iPod (or ???) + 3 yrs. Applecare

Option (b) is still about $200 more than he wanted to spend, but if he turns around and resells the printer & iPod at a 50% discount, that at least pretty much covers the cost of Applecare.

The difficulty, of course, is that he doesn't understand why I'm insisting on Applecare. He's always used Macs and, based on his own experience, is pretty confident that nothing ever goes wrong. Sigh . . .

4. plaxico44 macrumors regular

plaxico44

It's more about peace of mind than anything. He doesn't have to purchase it when he buys the computer, it just has to be within a year of the purchase date.

5. jamied95 macrumors 6502

Wait? Could you get an Education discount, a free iPod and a free printer when the time is right?

6. sumone macrumors regular

I actually agree with him. I am a teenager in college and got my first macbook my sophomore year in high school. I wanted to get the Applecare but didn't have the money at the time. They said I had up to a year to get it so my mom said she would help me get it by then. Some how a year passed and we didn't get it. I was a bit worried but at this point there was nothing I could do. My computer is now over four years old and the only problem I have had with it was with the casing which was a flaw that Apple acknowledged and will repair for free. So basically I really didn't need Applecare and ended up saving by not getting it.

7. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I would definitely choose this option. The new MBPs are quite future-proofed. And selling the iPod and printer is definitely a good idea. You can get much more than 50% on the iPod. Or try 'returning' it to Walmart for a credit ;)

8. gmans46 macrumors regular

yes that will start either tommorow or next tuesday

9. nhcowboy1 thread starter macrumors 6502

or the Tuesday after that . . . . ;)

10. gmans46 macrumors regular

11. dizzy130 macrumors member

I had the graphics card fail on an eMac with no AppleCare...had to replace it with a MacBook as the repair cost almst as much as a new one. That MacBook had two hard drives die within a month, as well as cracks that were repaired for free before apple was acknowledging the problem.

I'd say AppleCare was a necessity.

12. Krovem macrumors 6502

Krovem

No discount with the refurbs, I think you could get a printer. But the back to school sale is coming soon, and you can get a free printer + iPod + $100 off.

13. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Yeah, the back to school deals are great. Free printer and free iPod is fantastic.

14. nhcowboy1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Does anyone happen to know if, in past years, the back-to-school offers applied to the sale of refurb. computers, or only new?

Have finally discovered a refurb. 2011 MBP in the Apple store, I'm realizing what an amazing deal it would be if it came with an iPod . . . . just don't know if it's possible. Anyone have any experience with this?

15. gmans46 macrumors regular

no they dont usually offer it with refurbs only new models or else there really wouldnt be a reason not to buy a refurb.

16. zoomin6 macrumors member

So the free ipod and printer promotion starts soon?

Hahahaha...whoops, I just bought my 15'' macbook pro today! I don't get it until next Tuesday though because I ordered it online. I just couldn't resist, I did manage to use the educational discount because I'm a college student.

Oh well, I don't really need either, I have a printer and I want an iPod classic to replace my nano.

Walter..

17. Krovem macrumors 6502

Krovem

Yes, it should start soon. You can get student discount + iPod + Printer. Later just sell both to get a little extra cash back. Worth it IMO.

18. zoomin6 macrumors member

Haha, I actually already made my purchase yesterday! With no ipod or printer lol..oh well, I'm not too bummed about it, I'm ecstatic for my new laptop!

Walter..

19. zoomin6 macrumors member

Or should I cancel my order and wait for the promotion?

I was just so impatient and jumped the gun lol! I want this laptop so bad, my '08 aluminum unibody macbook needs a replacement.

Walter..