Apple Promotes Music Single to Help Support Victims of London Grenfell Tower Tragedy

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 23, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is asking visitors to its U.K. site to consider making a donation to help those affected by the Grenfell Tower tragedy in London by purchasing the iTunes single "Bridge Over Troubled Water", which went straight to the top of the U.K. charts just two hours after it was released on Wednesday.

Artists for Grenfell represents more than 50 musicians including Craig David, Liam Payne, and Stormzy, who recorded the cover of the Simon & Garfunkel classic to support victims' families and survivors of the fire. Residents and survivors of the London tower block also feature as part of a choir led by Gareth Malone.

[​IMG]

Combustible cladding is believed to have been responsible for the rapid spread of the fire at Grenfell Tower last week, which left at least 79 people dead or missing. The government has been heavily criticized for its response in the immediate aftermath, and has pledged to house the Grenfell Tower fire survivors as quickly as possible.

The charity track achieved 120,000 downloads and streaming equivalent sales on Wednesday, which is the biggest opening day figure for a U.K. single this decade. You can download "Bridge Over Troubled Water" on iTunes here. The track is also available to stream on Apple Music.

Article Link: Apple Promotes Music Single to Help Support Victims of London Grenfell Tower Tragedy

2. smacrumon, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017

smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

"At least £0.76" and in the fine print "into a special donation fund set up to avoid taxes". Absolutely poor showing. How about ALL is being donated and Apple will match each dollar with another extra $9 of its own???

Apple needs to STOP asking customers to make donations that it often takes ownership of in its company reports.

If Apple is so concerned about this particular issue then Apple needs to move millions or billions of its stockpile of dollars into this and other charities on its own accord.

Apple has enough money to help out these kinds of situations so it shouldn't be suggesting or inviting customers make those contributions.

Open the wallet Apple and help make a change in the world.

3. canadianreader macrumors 6502a

canadianreader

The whole tragedy looked kinda mysterious to me it felt like conspiracy of some sort. But the suffering of people caught in fire is unbearable to me.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 23, 2017 ---
    I agree with you. This is a PR move more than anything else. Big firms and high profile people usually look for tragedies and victims to make a name for themselves with the help of their fan's gulliblity.

4. 0098386 Suspended

5. smacrumon, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2017

smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

It's certainly not a conspiracy. It's the result of using inferior products in building. It's a really terrible tragedy certainly very sad.

The crazy thing is a lot of buildings are using inferior products like this and it's possible something like this could happen many times again.

Apple should be making donations on its own. And as a company that is apparently at the forefront of design Apple should be speaking out on poor design standards and poor imitation products used in building materials.

6. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I don't particularly care for the cover, but I've already bought the track in support. My heart goes out to everyone affected by the fire - a tragic and outrageous situation that should never have happened.

After tax, credit card processing and other costs I doubt that Apple is seeing any profit from this. I agree it'd be nice to see them make an additional donation of their own.

7. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

Tax, credit card processing and other costs should be Apple's responsibility.

Apple shouldn't be making profits from charitable contributions.

It would actually be nice to see Apple make their own donation in the first instance. Apple haven't yet made any donation, customers have made donations, not Apple.

8. 2010mini macrumors 68040

This is a regular practice of donations. Not every single dollar you sent via a charity goes to the persons in need. There are actually costs involved with charitable giving that has to get paid.

9. Olganech macrumors regular

It was a faulty fridge freezer that caused the fire.

10. miniyou64 macrumors 6502

miniyou64

11. Olganech macrumors regular

Apple should butt out. They no nothing about constructing an apartment block.

Being able to design a computer bears no relation to being able to design and construct a building.

12. vmistery macrumors 6502a

Absolute tragedy, the UK needs to learn from this very quickly although it's clearly too late for these people. I'm absolutely amazed that this tower had so little fire control ability built in that a fridge freezer fire could be so devastating. I work in an 80s office block we have sprinklers and 3 stair cases we could use in the event of a fire, it's incredible the same thought wasn't put in to a residential block.

13. Olganech macrumors regular

The situation was not helped by the flammable cladding used on the outside of the building.

14. lunarworks macrumors 65816

Only MacRumors could get outraged about Apple providing a way for people to donate to a charity.

Instead of getting upset, why don't YOU make a donation?

15. masterhiggins macrumors regular

Garcuckel

16. KazKam macrumors 6502

KazKam

Apple isn't obligated to do a damn thing.

They're a business. They're giving bleeding-heart saps a means to feel good about themselves, generating a little money for the cause, and at the same time promoting their services. Everyone wins.

17. JungeQuex macrumors regular

What this person said. You guys don't have to always be so negative. Apple is trying to help in some way, you guys aren't. The end.

18. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

Administration costs? Apple is being greedy. Either give the full amount to charity or don't bother being charitable. Downloads costs Apple nothing to administer. Apple must hand all total sales to charity, not the remainder after taking out "costs and marketing".
    --- Post Merged, Jun 23, 2017 ---
    Good design is universal.

19. Olganech macrumors regular

If Apple really cared they could give one days profits for these people.

Instead they are profittering from this disaster.

20. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

Apple is profiteering off a tragic situation. If they were donating, they'd donate the entire amount, not a partial payment.

Disgusting business practices from Apple.

21. Porco, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017

Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

As per forum rules, could you please back up your accusation with actual evidence that Apple are withholding any profit at all from the sale of this track, or else retract the accusation? I've already pointed out that most of the difference between the minimum 76p they say will be passed on and the 99p sale price is down to tax (17p), which leaves only a maximum or 6 pence difference, some of which at least can logically be attributed to running costs. In the UK, VAT is included in the stated sale price.

Please present your evidence that Apple is "profiteering" to the tune of ~5 pence maximum. I would agree that even if they are taking a profit of 1 pence from this track that would be disgraceful, but I find it unlikely.

22. Shaun, UK Suspended

Shaun, UK

The charity should receive the full 99p not just 76p. Disgusted that Apple is making a profit from this.

23. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

Agh. Really?

Please note the description on iTunes, which states:

"This includes 100% of Apple's share"

[​IMG]
    [1]

Which I think should end any talk of "profiteering". I invite the posters who claimed as much to retract their slurs upon Apple.

[1] UK iTunes page screenshot, 23 June 2017, 19:10 BST

24. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

You answered your own questions and highlighted the decrepency. Pick up the tax tab, Apple. Pick up the running costs, Apple.
    FACT is that customers are making the purchase, it is the customer's sale being directed to charity (it's not a contribution from Apple), BUT even still, Apple is retaining a portion of that charitable purchase. The customer's expectation is that the whole purchase is to go to charity, directly to the victims, not a slush fund.
    Fair and reasonable individuals would expect Apple to direct the COMPLETE TOTAL OF SALES, NOT A PORTION. Apple sits on billions and can't even get charity right. What Apple is doing is not charity.
    Total scum corporate culture at Apple. Disgusting executives.

25. teidon macrumors 6502

teidon

How do you know that Apple haven't donated?