Apple Promotes New Charitable Song #WHERESTHELOVE by Black Eyed Peas

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Sep 1, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has added a banner on its homepage to promote the new song #WHERESTHELOVE, a reworked version of the 2003 smash hit "Where is the Love?" by The Black Eyed Peas. All proceeds raised from the song, which became available today on iTunes, will go to artist will.i.am's i.am.angel foundation, which funds educational programs and college scholarships in the United States.

[​IMG]

The track, which features A$AP Rocky, Justin Timberlake, Usher, Snoop Dogg, Mary J. Blige, Kendall Jenner, DJ Khaled, and over a dozen other artists, was released in response to recent acts of violence and terrorism in cities around the world like Brussels, Dallas, Istanbul, Orlando, and Paris.
    William Adams, known as will.i.am, tweeted that he and Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts will be at Apple Union Square in San Francisco tonight at 7:00 p.m. local time to discuss #WHERESTHELOVE and College Track, a college completion nonprofit that empowers students from underserved communities to graduate from college.
    In related charitable news, Apple is now accepting Red Cross donations via iTunes to support relief efforts in central Italy following a magnitude 4.6 earthquake on August 24. Donation tiers available include $5, $10, $25, $50, $100, and $200. All proceeds from donations are sent to the American Red Cross and split with ongoing Louisiana flooding relief efforts.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Promotes New Charitable Song #WHERESTHELOVE by Black Eyed Peas

2. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

I saw the headline and thought I had time traveled...

3. jdillings macrumors 65816

Will this help pay off Apple's tax bill?

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Though I'm far from a fan of Will.I.Am's music, and pretty much baselessly judged him on that for a long time, the first interview I ever watched with him in was Top Gear. Suffice it to say I was eating my hat within no time at all and asking for second servings.

He seems to be a really genuine, kind person, and very intelligent too.

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

If all involved are sincere, that's great!

Also, there's a bad link. Or a mislabeled link, the one that goes to college scholarships doesn't go to the a site that promotes scholarships.

6. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Jeez, using the terror attacks to promote his own charity about educational programs and college scholarships in the United States??

Christ :rolleyes:

7. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

A song and helping people is now considered political? :rolleyes: smh

8. Junipr, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016

Junipr macrumors regular

Junipr

Reminds me of the good ol' iPod days when Steve was healthy and the company wasn't evading taxes

EDIT: Ok, Apple's been dodging taxes for a long time! Good old days when ignorace was bliss, at least

9. coolfactor, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016

coolfactor macrumors 68040

Steve set up that tax arrangement himself. The EU is just getting greedy, don't paint it the opposite way. Remember that laws are made by people. Someone says something is illegal only because they say that, not because it's wrong in any way. One day, it may be illegal to look at someone the wrong way.

But yah, I miss the iPod days, too. I can't believe that Apple is still sending iPods that haven't changed in how many years, and yet there's nothing on the market that beats them.

10. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Hmmm, between 2003 and 2014 when was Steve not CEO? Like 1997-2011? Whoops!! ;)

And Steve was no saint during the "good old days", either, as many who worked for the company also revealed as common knowledge. As a business, he had ideas or knew how to take other peoples' ideas in different ways (not unlike how government spends other peoples' money, snarf!). As a member of society, as said, he was quite the horrible jerk. Of course, when he knew of the iphone 4 antenna problem before its release but chose* to blame customers for holding it wrong, he wasn't that hot at business either. If the ethics classes people have to take in college are of any consideration, off course.

* real choice, not something forced on anyone directly or otherwise

11. yaxomoxay Suspended

yaxomoxay

I can make it political in a second.
    Song --> Apple --> Black Eyed Peas --> Ireland --> Taxes --> Potato Soup --> Faked Moon Landings --> Trump vs Hillary.

Easy connections.

12. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Not even the iPhone, which has the same form factor but has a lot more utility? Or any portable device in small form factor with touch screen like what used to be known as "PDA"? Each has pros and cons, none is going to "beat" the others in all things.

13. coolfactor macrumors 68040

Yah, I'm referring to music-playing devices like the iPod. No competitor has delivered on all fronts that the iPod has.

14. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

15. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

16. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

I'm probably the only one here who glanced at the headline and heard this in their head...

17. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

I'll admit, I have it much worse...

18. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

19. JackANSI macrumors 6502a

JackANSI

I'm having a hard time finding where in the US this charity does work except in will.i.am's old home neighborhood... no thanks.

He wants attention on his home town, he's gotta support mine too.

20. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

This is a carefully crafted project to draw attention to Apple and the celebrities and musicians involved. Presented as a charity to paint a warm fuzzy image, it's what those who's careers need a jump start do.

Borrowing the Apple Hype Machine makes things that much easier.