Apple Promotions Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Strattty, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Strattty macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,
    I'm looking into purchasing my first macbook pro for school this Sept. If I buy it off the apple site with the edu discount I know I get $100 off the mac store. Do I also get $100 off the price of the actual laptop? and is the printer deal legit, like if I buy the $100 dollar printer, will I actually get fully refunded if I do it within 90 days, or are they going to try to scam me or something? Sorry I have never bought an apple computer before lol, just ipods.
    Also, are they gonna have the ipod touch deal where you buy a computer and get a free ipod touch?
    Also, could you have all of those deals, or do they only let you use one per purchase or something?

2. Grumbles Guest

The printer rebate isn't a scam, although not very quick. I bought an iMac in late May (24th I think) and filed the rebate online the same day, the check just arrived this past weekend.

There is no free iPod Touch deal anymore with the Back To School special, just a $100 App Store gift card. The education discount is usually around $50 off and AppleCare is discounted too, I think it was around $50 off as well.

3. randomrazr macrumors 65816

depends on the macbook but i know the 15inch one is 100 bucks off, plus u get 100 dollar gift card to the mac app store, and the printer, well how it works

u buy the printer first. u set up a thing online, and apple sends u back a cheque for 100 dollars . sucks i know but its those things where companys hopes u dont send it in lol.

i URGE YOU to not cheap out on the printer.. 150 dollars plus printer for a good one. cheap printers have high ink costs when u replce it so buy something decent!

4. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

First off, if you want the $100 Mac App Store gift card, make sure you order soon. September might be too late, as the gift card promo is only a summer thing. I don't remember if they've announced the last day of the promo in previous years.

Yes, you will get some money off the machine if you go through the student store. How much you get off depends on which machine you order. You specified a MacBook Pro-- you'll get $100 off either 13" MBP or the low-end 15". You'll get $200 off the high-end 15" or the 17".

Yes, the printer deal is legit. Apple's a big company that's constantly in the spotlight, they'd be in big trouble if they tried to "scam" you ;)

There's no iPod Touch deal this year. That was dropped in favor of the gift card, since Apple gets a 30% cut when you use your gift card. Just Apple being greedy, nothing unusual there.

And finally, yes, you can combine the $ off the computer, the gift card, and the free printer.

But you can do even better, if you don't care about the gift card.

If you click the "Store" button at the top of the site, then scroll down until you see the "Special Deals" section on the left hand side, then click "Refurbished Mac," then click on whichever size MacBook Pro you want in the left hand column, find the one you want, click "Select," click the "Buy a printer with your Mac and save" button on the right, choose your printer, and check out, you'll be saving even more money, since refurbs are generally really good deals. And they still come with Apple's standard 1-year warranty and the option to add Applecare. I myself am looking for a new Mac right now, and I was going to pick one up from the refurb store, only thing that stopped me was I'll be driving through Delaware later this summer, no sales tax in DE :D

Anyhow, enjoy your new Mac!

5. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Buy a 20% off coupon for $50 on EBay. It will get you the discount at Amazon on any Apple laptop.

6. randomrazr macrumors 65816

do you think its worth the extra cost for the 2.2ghz 15 over the 2.0ghz macbook pro?

7. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

I personally would, not for the processor bump as much as for the GPU bump. The GPU in the base 15" is weak-- but if you're not doing anything GPU intensive you should be fine. If you're only interested in stepping up to the high-end for the CPU increase, I'd say pocket the savings. The difference is minimal.

8. Strattty, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

Strattty thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, that's awesome.
    Yeah I was looking at 15" 2.0 GHz processor mbp but I was going to upgrade to the 750 GB HDD. I'm buying from the Canadian Apple site, does everyone's replies still hold true?
    Also, I was just wondering, how do you guys know that they are not having the iPod deal this year? Mostly, just for my curiosity, haha?
    Oh yeah, I'm going to get the $150 printer, so I'll get a $100 rebate later right?
    Thanks everyone!

9. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Go for the 2.2Ghz MBP, not sure if rebates apply but I would think so. Yes to rebate, if it applies.

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

In order:

1. Yes everything still holds true, this is a big company, that is in the spotlight a lot, and wouldn't benefit from scamming you, this isn't a shady eBay deal, I don't get why you're so nervous.

2. Simply because they aren't, the free iPod touch thing was for the back to school special, and as you can see for yourself, the back to school special is now a 100$ gift card to the App Store, not an iPod touch.

3. Yes, again I don't know why you're so nervous about this. It may take a while to process as it's a mail-in rebate, but it will eventually get you a cheque for 100$.