Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jilter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
How can i keep the Apple Pros (I like the way they look)as satellites and add one of my many sub-woofers laying around the house? What is the criteria my sub would need to work in conjunction with the Apple
Pro's?
Thanks

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Since the Pro speakers operate on USB, it could be difficult. I assume if you plug something into the line-out or headphone jack, the speakers mute. If you could find some kind of software that would keep your Pro speakers playing even when you have something connected to the headphone jack (the muting is software controlled), then you could hook up a low-pass crossover to your subwoofer and use it. You'd just hook up the sub to the headphone/line-out jack, and with the crossover, it'd play only bass.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
actually, the Pro speakers use a proprietary plug that supplies only 2.0 sound and powers the speakers. Youre better off just using different speakers all together.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Originally posted by G5orbust
actually, the Pro speakers use a proprietary plug that supplies only 2.0 sound and powers the speakers. Youre better off just using different speakers all together.
Ah, thats right. I've got one of those ports on my Power Mac. Anyways, I tend to agree with G5orbust, new speakers probably would be better. Or get the Harmon-Kardon soundsticks. They look good and have a sub.

candan9019

macrumors regular
I got a refurbished iSub from MacZone for $40, they still have some. It works great with the pro speakers that came with my iMac. It sometimes doesn't work after I mute the sub though and I have to unplug and replug the usb. Another Panther quirk I guess. :eek:

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
If you have many Sub's lying around it means one of three things:
1) Your really into Drum and Bass (why did you bother with Apple Pro sprakers)

2) You have plenty of other speakers as well (so hook them up instead of the pro speakers, since they're crap)

3) Preformance is the least of you worries, and look are more important.

My advice is ditch the Pro Speakers, and hook up some real speakers.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Originally posted by manitoubalck
If you have many Sub's lying around it means one of three things:
1) Your really into Drum and Bass (why did you bother with Apple Pro sprakers)

2) You have plenty of other speakers as well (so hook them up instead of the pro speakers, since they're crap)

3) Preformance is the least of you worries, and look are more important.

My advice is ditch the Pro Speakers, and hook up some real speakers.

well put, mate, well put.

Anyways, heres [what look to be] a pretty decent set for a little bit less than you paid for your pro speakers:

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=306797&pfp=BROWSE

jilter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
O.k. got the point. I guess I did not do enough research. The apple pros that came with my Imac looked so good, I thought they would sound good, and then better with a sub. I will explore hooking up something else I have laying around.
Thanks for your time guys, appreciate it!

beerguy

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2003
If you like the way they look you can always leave them on your desk - just don't plug `em in. :)

jilter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by Spock
Or for 59$ You coul get the iSub and that looks good next to the pro speakers
Spock, have you actually hooked up the ISub to the Apple Pros? I have been advised this would not work on my flat panel Imac. Thank you.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
iSub, Pro Speakers, iMac 17"

I have the iSub that I use with my 17" iMac (800MHz running Jaguar). They work great, except that the volume/mute controls on the keyboard do not control the iSub. There's a separate slider in the Control Panel for the iSub. That's the only issue I have with the unit. Sound is very good (but I'm not an audiophile).

jilter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Thanks for the reply, Jules. Do I understand that your keyboard still controls the Pros but NOT the volume to the ISub? I'm sorry for being a bit uninformed....your 800 is a flat panel..?

BrandonRP0123

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Originally posted by jilter
Thanks for the reply, Jules. Do I understand that your keyboard still controls the Pros but NOT the volume to the ISub? I'm sorry for being a bit uninformed....your 800 is a flat panel..?

The iSub will work with the flat panel iMacs and any Power Mac Digital audio (466Mhz) or newer.

The iSub has a seperate volume control in the sound prefs - but (in panther finally!) when you mute the sound by hitting the key on the keyboard - it will cut sound to the iSub as well.

For my tastes - I leave the iSub at one volume.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.