Apple Protection Plan for new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by newmbp, Mar 7, 2008.

1. newmbp macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I recently ordered a new 2.6G/200G 15" MBP from Macmall. I also purchased the apple-care protection plan (APP). I guess I'll keep it, but am still curious to know how many buyers opt for the APP?

I will most definitely upgrade to a 4 GB RAM after-market. Would such an upgrade void the terms of the APP - does someone know? If that is the case, I'd like to know as then I'll return the APP!
    The APP terms and conditions on Apple's website does mention this:
    "(i) Installation, removal or disposal of the Covered Equipment, or installation, removal, repair, or aintenance of non-Covered Equipment (including accessories, attachments, or other devices such as external modems) or electrical service external to the Covered Equipment;"

Can someone please comment with their interpretation of the terms and conditions, or their past experience?

Thanks!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No you can upgrade the RAM without violating anything. It's even in the manual. However in case you do need to get your computer fixed, you will need to put the original RAM back into the computer as Apple will refuse to handle third-party RAM.

3. comptr macrumors 65816

when I went to a apple store they told me that the replacing the ram will void the warranty on the ram only and also they said that if something has gone bad and its the ram they will tell the consumer. It seems from what they said that there is no need to remove the ram and if it is bad they will tell you.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well the idea is before you go the store to get it looked at, you should put the original RAM back in. It's a lot easier than have them tell you the RAM is bad. If it was, and hoping you have AppleCare, you can use that diagnostic software they included in the package.

5. comptr macrumors 65816

It makes sense now :)

6. newmbp thread starter macrumors newbie

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

In all my experiences, I think 2GB is adequate for everything.

8. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

+1 on that.
    but with the RAM getting cheaper everyday,
    if you can afford it, then go buy and upgrade

9. newmbp thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree. Also more is better right ;)

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah except now I feel like I wasted $90 on RAM I could have used to buy a high res display online instead or something (of course I bought it in store, and I didn't want to the spend the extra $500)