Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fifth beta of an upcoming tvOS 11 update designed for the fourth-generation TV, two weeks after seeding the fourth beta and two months after releasing the first beta during the 2017 Worldwide Developers Conference.

Registered developers can download tvOS 11 by connecting the Apple TV to a computer with a USB-C cable and installing the beta software using iTunes.

tvos-11-beta-800x500.jpg

tvOS 11 didn't receive a lot of attention at the Worldwide Developers Conference due to time constraints, but according to Apple's release notes, it introduces a few new features to the operating system.

tvOS 11 offers automatic switching between light/dark mode based on local time, Home screen syncing options that keep multiple Apple TVs in a household in sync, new background modes and notification support, Focus API improvements, custom sound support, network-based pairing and development support, improvements to Mobile Device Management, and more.

The fifth beta of tvOS 11 most likely focuses primarily on bug fixes and other small refinements, as the first four betas did. Apple's new tvOS 11 update is available for both registered developers and public beta testers. It will see a public release later this year.

Article Link: Apple Provides Fifth Beta of Upcoming tvOS 11 Update to Developers

Slippery Gimp

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Leeds, UK
Items found in the code include a reference for 'Moonbase Park', 6no new Mac Mini SKU's, an Apple branded electric toothbrush, and a 1gb iPod Classic.

Can't wait for September.

tazinlwfl

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Florida
I need Bluetooth / AirPlay working better with this beta. The last few have been rough. AirPods on the AppleTV have been hit or miss, and they were the most stable compared to every other BT Speaker/Headset I have.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I need Bluetooth / AirPlay working better with this beta. The last few have been rough. AirPods on the AppleTV have been hit or miss, and they were the most stable compared to every other BT Speaker/Headset I have.
AppleTV works with airpods? Is that for people with hearing issues?

tazinlwfl

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Florida
AppleTV works with airpods? Is that for people with hearing issues?

No, my wife and I walk around our place, each with an AirPod in our ear. It's not theater-quality audio but it also lets us to hear clearly over other sounds (neighbors, appliances, etc) as we multitask. I use bt headsets to watch TV or listen to music on the AppleTV all the time, often during in-home workouts or late-night Netflix binging. The AirPods just makes it better. tvOS 10 was pretty great, but tvOS 11 has a lot of static and dropping.

ETA: The most unsung feature of these AirPods are the ability to share with a partner. And it's not just this formfactor of truly wireless headphone that makes it special. The AirPods are very light, they have pretty great range from each other, and they're easy to insert and take out. That is probably silly to some, but I sometimes give my wife an AirPod by placing it in her ear (or take it away) very gently. Because it's not the in-ear style, it's not like I have to cram it in. And the shape/size of AirPods have kept them in despite how easy it is too insert or remove. We used to share wired headphones, head-to-head, unable to pull away less we get unplugged. We could go most of a school day like that. Now we grocery shopping to our own soundtrack, listening to some heavy mix wandering in different aisles. Pretty much everywhere we go now we each have an AirPod in our ear, listening to a audio book, podcast, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: SBlue1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.