Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vmartines95

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2016
Los Angeles
I've just installed the tvOS 12 Developer Profile, but the update isn't showing up. Not sure if it's only happening to me or if it hasn't been seeded yet. Has anyone been able to successfully install it? Had no issues with any of my other Macs & iDevices.

thomsonr

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2014
Not showing here either. MacOS 10.14 and IOS 12 no problems, WatchOS is giving me bit of a hard time.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Glad to hear about Atmos coming. I just bought a new Denon receiver that does Atmos, DTS, and Auro 3D and I would have to decide what speaker config to choose or try to compromise to cover both. Now that I know iTunes will make it easy to do Atmos, I’ll head that direction.

Dominicanyor

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2012
Florida
Oh, no, they both run the same tvOS but only the ATV 4K will do 4K & HDR. And some apps (mainly games) might require the ATV 4K since it has the A10X processor and the ATV 4th generation has the A8 processor.

I wonder if I could get a discount from Apple by trading ATV 4th gen for the 4k?

Lax608

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2015
Glad to hear about Atmos coming. I just bought a new Denon receiver that does Atmos, DTS, and Auro 3D and I would have to decide what speaker config to choose or try to compromise to cover both. Now that I know iTunes will make it easy to do Atmos, I’ll head that direction.

If I may make a suggestion: I'm not sure how many channels your new receiver is but if its at least 9, 5.1.4 if better than 7.1.2 in my experience.
[doublepost=1528199050][/doublepost]One of my wonders will be if movies that are DTS-X on Blu-ray will be in Atmos on Apple TV. I believe I read somewhere that studios release different soundtracks, sometimes, for different media. Maybe someone can straighten me out?

Blawsogis

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
There is no change to the forced static upscaling, correct? That is such a major shortcoming for me.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
There is no change to the forced static upscaling, correct? That is such a major shortcoming for me.

I agree. I basically leave mine in 1080p SDR, as both Netflix and iTunes offer HDR at 1080p, and it greatly reduces the buffering time when I'm just program surfing on those apps, plus I get the full benefit of HDR. If I'm going to watch something critically on Amazon or Vudu, I'll manually switch into 4K, mainly to get HDR.

The funny part is, if I want HDR on YouTube, I have to Chromecast it from my iPhone to my Sony TV. Still not sure what the native resolution it's sending, but it looks darn good.

cgibson190

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2017
Chicago, IL
I've just installed the tvOS 12 Developer Profile, but the update isn't showing up. Not sure if it's only happening to me or if it hasn't been seeded yet. Has anyone been able to successfully install it? Had no issues with any of my other Macs & iDevices.

I'm having the same issue on two separate Apple TV's (one 4th Generation & one 4K). I was able to install the developer profile over the air on both Sunday evening, and after multiple resets, have yet to see my machine update to tvOS 12. Does anyone have the build number?

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
If I may make a suggestion: I'm not sure how many channels your new receiver is but if its at least 9, 5.1.4 if better than 7.1.2 in my experience.
[doublepost=1528199050][/doublepost]One of my wonders will be if movies that are DTS-X on Blu-ray will be in Atmos on Apple TV. I believe I read somewhere that studios release different soundtracks, sometimes, for different media. Maybe someone can straighten me out?

The receiver has 3 zones (I’ll use 2 for my livingroom either flatscreen or projector and 1 set of speakers and maybe the 3rd can go to the basement in the future). It does 9.2 and 2 L/R height channels with the option for 11.2. I just ordered a set of Klipsch speakers for 5.1 and 2 upfiring Atmos speakers to put on top of the front speakers. I don’t have the energy to try to put in actual ceiling speakers so I’m trying these first. My ceilings are 8’ so they don’t have to through the sound very far. I might reuse some of my old speakers to add another subwoofer etc. It’s going to be crazy sound!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.