Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
So then what's the problem with Slingbox over 3g?

And only 40 reviewers, 2 per app? So only 20 apps reviewed at any given time?? No wonder it takes ages to gain approval!

Aztechian

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2006
Colorado
I still don't understand why anyone would want Google Voice. Doesn't it just forward your home calls to your cell phone? Most people I know don't even have a home phone anymore. Am I missing something? Is Google Voice more than just forwarding calls?

GV is call forwarding, but more advanced than traditional call forwarding. For example, when someone calls your GV number, it rings your cell, work, home, etc. *all at once*. Then when you answer whichever phone is handy at the time, the call routes to that phone.
There's other features, of course, but this is the gist.

Another reason for using GV is analogous to email addresses: Back in the day, your email address was tied to the ISP you were using. When you changed ISP's you had to tell everyone your new email address. Then web-based email providers started coming around and you email was no longer tied to the ISP you used. GV is like that, but with phone numbers. I can have the same number (GV) even if I switch service providers, get a new job, etc.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Verizon and others are only exploring their own app stores because Apple has been so successful.

He was talking about the fact that Verizon has had an BREW app store for many years. Apparently it has done pretty well, too.

For known example, over ten million Verizon users downloaded the BREW version of the Shazaam music recognizer in its first year online. Pretty good for one app.

But yes, other phone makers are now copying Apple's store, because Apple has show the way: instead of fighting carrier walled gardens, just became one yourself. :rolleyes:

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
40 Reviewers?!:eek: They REEEEEAAALLY need to hire more reviewers.

Why?

Why should it take more than only a couple of mintues to review each app? It either meets the criteria or it doesn't. There doesn't need to be any in-depth scrutiny here.

Tommigun

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Hey guess what, it's Apple's app store. They can approve or disapprove anything they want for any reason. If someone doesn't like that, no one is forcing them to buy an iphone. There are plenty of other phones out there.

I know the government does a bang up job with things like the Mail, DMVs, Public Education, and soon Health Care, but we don't need them telling Apple how to run their business or what apps we are allowed or not allowed to have. The buying public can vote with their wallet.

But oh boy the outcry in here if MS were to disallow certain apps on Windows...

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Huh? GV only adds its interface as an alternative, it doesn't "alter" the Apple software. Apparently, what Apple really dislikes is allowing users to choose to do anything in a non-Apple way. Wonder if they are planning to block me from using Firefox instead of Safari on my MBP?

Yeah, Apple is TOTALLY planning to block firefox on the Mac because its exactly like the iPhone.

Apple sells the iPhone as a solution for a number of things, which in addition allows you to add some (but not all) capabilities. Anyone who is surprised or upset that Apple is not going to let someone else come in and encroach on the iPhones core features really hasn't been paying attention, Apple has stated this as the plan from the get go. The iPhone is not the same as the Mac, its a different device with different strengths, weakness, and philosophy behind it. While Apple will certainly change in some aspects regarding the iPhone/AppStore (allowing an SDK, allowing adult apps) etc. Certain things are unlikely if ever to change (Flash, competing browsers). GoogleVoice falls into the later catagory at this point because it usurps one of the primary roles of the iPhone itself.

Apple is pretty much telling you that you are welcome to use a competitors product if these types of things are a big deal to you because Apple doesn't feel its the strategy they want to take. If you really want a phone you can do whatever you want with it Android is your best bet, the iPhone on the other hand, is never going to be a trully free device in an official way, and thats the plan. Its somewhat like complaining about Microsoft not letting you install some sort of emulator to play other games officially. You are welcome to try or to get a system that lets you do it, but they aren't going to help you do it.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Yeah, Apple is TOTALLY planning to block firefox on the Mac because its exactly like the iPhone.

Apple sells the iPhone as a solution for a number of things, which in addition allows you to add some (but not all) capabilities. Anyone who is surprised or upset that Apple is not going to let someone else come in and encroach on the iPhones core features really hasn't been paying attention, Apple has stated this as the plan from the get go. The iPhone is not the same as the Mac, its a different device with different strengths, weakness, and philosophy behind it. While Apple will certainly change in some aspects regarding the iPhone/AppStore (allowing an SDK, allowing adult apps) etc. Certain things are unlikely if ever to change (Flash, competing browsers). GoogleVoice falls into the later catagory at this point because it usurps one of the primary roles of the iPhone itself.

Apple is pretty much telling you that you are welcome to use a competitors product if these types of things are a big deal to you because Apple doesn't feel its the strategy they want to take. If you really want a phone you can do whatever you want with it Android is your best bet, the iPhone on the other hand, is never going to be a trully free device in an official way, and thats the plan. Its somewhat like complaining about Microsoft not letting you install some sort of emulator to play other games officially. You are welcome to try or to get a system that lets you do it, but they aren't going to help you do it.

This.

Very well put.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
They didn't need to explain it.

Apple sell a subsidised phone.
A software developer comes along with an app that replaces the phone function.
Apple reject the software.

Or is it more than that? I haven't been paying too close attention to this one.

j-Phone

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2009
Do you guys smell bologna

This is such a lame reason! Gosh I expected more. Trust me...I have and love the iPhone and have two MacBooks and a G5...I also am a ProCare and MobileMe user...so I'm not the typical basher, but that excuse was lame and this is why:

1. I have been using Skype for the iPHone since it came out to place VoIP phone calls. I just turned off my 3G and left Wi-Fi on and made a call to my wife's phone through Skype and it worked.

2. Apple has been touting and advertising the new OS by explicitly bragging about how developers now have access through the SDK to control more of the phone and contacts features of the phone. This was Apple's big claim to market to developers.

To me this is a clear, clear, clear omission and that excuse was bologna!

Get some mustard, bread, and cheese and you'll have an awesome sandwich!

kdarling

macrumors P6
So then what's the problem with Slingbox over 3g?

This is what Apple said about Slingbox:

Apple honors this obligation, in addition to respecting AT&T’s customer Terms of Service, which, for example, prohibit an AT&T customer from using AT&T’s cellular service to redirect a TV signal to an iPhone.

So they're saying it's ATT's terms of service. (Verizon terms allow remote TV viewing, btw.)

My favorite though, is this weasel paragraph:

From time to time, AT&T has expressed concerns regarding network efficiency and potential network congestion associated with certain applications, and Apple takes such concerns into consideration.

Cute. First Apple claims that ATT has nothing to do with approvals, yet here they dance around and admit that Apple takes their concerns into consideration. Hello! Sure sounds like ATT has major input on approvals to me, even if it's not outright control.

Aztechian

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2006
Colorado
The biggest spin in that response was that Google Voice "replaces" the visual voicemail and texting applications.
I can't claim to know for sure because I haven't used the app (of course), but it doesn't work like that for any other device.
You're only redirecting where those things go, not hijacking functionality of the iPhone. And I can't see how they could claim
disabling Apple’s Visual Voicemail
and
replacing the iPhone’s text messaging feature
- thats a bit of a PR stretch.
Truly replacing those key features of the iPhone isn't even possible for a non-apple developer. I hope the FCC sees through apple's spin, and realizes that some people actually know what they're doing with technology and would like to use it, instead of deciding that people are too stupid to know how to use an app that (they themselves) installed.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Just installed an update from Qik that removes the Wifi only limitation and allows uploads over 3g. Coincidence?

Now maybe that Slingplayer update next? I'll gladly purchase if I can use 3g.

Tommigun

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
So... What excuse do you think Apple will come up with for the Spotify app? Yes, the app which makes iTunes obsolete (millions of songs for the price of one album a month, cached to your phone, with unlimited listening).

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
So, they only have 40 employees reviewing app submissions. I'll bet they had at least 80 lawyers look at Apple's reply before submitting it to the FCC!

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
Just imagine the data mining and statistics that Google would be empowered to if they had access to everyone's phone address book and call log on their cell phones. Coupled with what they already know about your web browsing habits and your email, just think of what their computers could connect! :eek:

I'm glad that Apple rejected this application. Otherwise, I may have installed it on my phone.
I'm glad to see that Apple is protecting me

News Media: "It is estimated that 3.5 million phone calls were made last year by cheating spouses to their mistresses."
Google: "Actually, it was 3,435,612."
Media: "How do you know that?" Google: "Uhhh. Don't worry about it."

News Media: "It is estimated that the average person has 24 regular friends stored on their cell phone."
Google: "Actually, it's 31.4568"
Media: "How do you know that?" Google: "Uhhh. Don't worry about it."

U.S. Govt: "Congressmen on average make 300 calls per year to lobbyists, the most recent at 5:34pm yesterday."
Google: "Actually, it's 312.26, and the most recent was an hour ago."
U.S. Govt: "How do you know that?" "Uhhh. Don't worry about it."

brockm

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
So... What excuse do you think Apple will come up with for the Spotify app? Yes, the app which makes iTunes obsolete (millions of songs for the price of one album a month, cached to your phone, with unlimited listening).

It's very simple. It will confuse you. And Apple doesn't want you to be confused. It's confusing to be faced with multiple places to buy music from. That's not what Apple's about.

For Apple, it's not about the money. It's about you not being confused.

rish

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2006
London UK
Absolutely

Hey guess what, it's Apple's app store. They can approve or disapprove anything they want for any reason. If someone doesn't like that, no one is forcing them to buy an iphone. There are plenty of other phones out there.

I know the government does a bang up job with things like the Mail, DMVs, Public Education, and soon Health Care, but we don't need them telling Apple how to run their business or what apps we are allowed or not allowed to have. The buying public can vote with their wallet.

The one thing I continuously find irritating is that in this day and age we cater for the idiot, or we spend a lot of time explaining why the idiot is not allowed to do what they would like to do. Apple sells tight integrated systems. This is no different to the iPhone set up. It is largely because of this that it is a success. If I have strived to create something that provides not only me but the population at large with a user experience that is positive then it is up to me to ensure that, that user experience is not compromised. That is what I'm selling a device, a rich user experience, backed up with a quality support service.

Now if you want to do things that you were accustomed to doing prior to switching to the iPhone, then I would suggest you (general public at large not anyone specific) go back to what ever device and platform you had the freedom to do whatever you liked!

See here's my back garden. It's clean, its got lots of fun stuff in it and if you want to come and play in my back garden then these are the rules. If you don't like the rules then you don't play in my back garden, you play in the garden that no one really cares for or respects, which is probably why you came to my back garden in the first place! :)

RazHyena

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
USA
HAHAHAHA!!!

That's the best PR spin I've read EVER!!!

"The application has not been approved because, as submitted for review, it appears to alter the iPhone’s distinctive user experience by replacing the iPhone’s core mobile telephone functionality and Apple user interface with its own user interface for telephone calls, text messaging and voicemail. Apple spent a lot of time and effort developing this distinct and innovative way to seamlessly deliver core functionality of the iPhone."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

brockm

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
HAHAHAHA!!!

That's the best PR spin I've read EVER!!!

"The application has not been approved because, as submitted for review, it appears to alter the iPhone’s distinctive user experience by replacing the iPhone’s core mobile telephone functionality and Apple user interface with its own user interface for telephone calls, text messaging and voicemail. Apple spent a lot of time and effort developing this distinct and innovative way to seamlessly deliver core functionality of the iPhone."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Just because you're not confused, doesn't mean everyone else won't be confused. I say hooray for Apple and protecting us from confusion.

dragossh

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2008
I don't know about you. But I'm glad that Apple rejected this application. Otherwise, I may have installed it on my phone. Had this occurred, I would likely have become very confused and not known what to do.

If I had more than one way to place phone calls on my phone, I would enjoy my phone significantly less, and likely fall into a deep depressive episode.

I'm glad to see that Apple is protecting me from this confusion-inducing, alternative calling system. I understand that I could save hundreds of dollars on long distance and be able to do amazing things like centralize all my phone numbers into a single phone number. But the confusion that would arise from having this application on my phone would degrade my experience.

If you'll excuse me, I need to place a phone call using Skype from my iPhone.

I agree. Apple did the right thing. I also want to know why there are 2 buttons on my mouse??? It’s confusing :mad:

Tommigun

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
It's very simple. It will confuse you. And Apple doesn't want you to be confused. It's confusing to be faced with multiple places to buy music from. That's not what Apple's about.

For Apple, it's not about the money. It's about you not being confused.

Hehe... it's funny because it's true :)

dam0dred

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2007
Canada
Rejected/not yet approved = splitting hairs. Nothing here explains why previously approved non-Google GV apps were suddenly pulled. Furthermore, there are dozens if not hundreds of texting/mail/Safari apps that duplicate or expand core functionality just like the GV app did. Apple's not pulling them.

If I was at the FCC I wouldn't be very satisfied with this bit of corporate double-speak. Kudos to Apple for publishing this on their website, I just wish there were more substantial answers.

dragossh

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2008
See here's my back garden. It's clean, its got lots of fun stuff in it and if you want to come and play in my back garden then these are the rules. If you don't like the rules then you don't play in my back garden, you play in the garden that no one really cares for or respects, which is probably why you came to my back garden in the first place! :)

See, your back garden is public. Oops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.