Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
At this point, I am pretty much convinced that they are using artificial intelligence to approve apps. It was the approved "Microsoft Word 2012" that slipped into the App Store a couple weeks ago (and pulled later) that led me to this.

At this point, I am pretty much skeptical of downloading anything from anybody from anywhere.....

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
The reviewers aren't all-knowing. For an app like this they could have observed the following without rejecting the app:
1. App accesses user's contacts (100% legitimate for an app of this nature)
2. App communicates to app developer's server (many, many apps do this for legitimate reasons).

It's not valid for an app to sends contact information to the app developer's server without user permission after an adequate and accurate disclosure. But of course the app could have sent that information in an encrypted form so that the app reviewers had no way to know that contacts were being sent or may have actually asked permission without revealing the intent to spam.

And, obviously, no spam was sent until after the app had been reviewed.

Good post.

Despite being a serious issue, this malware did only abuse legitimate functions allowed by apps. Also, the by-product of the malicious behaviour was only spamming advertising for the app.

Luckily, iOS 6 will more explicitly ask user's permission to partake in this behaviour rather than the user somewhat implicitly allowing it by downloading the app.

This is a lot different than the banking malware that includes privilege escalation that can be found targeting Android.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
and there goes the myth that ios is safer then android. Nice job for QA department

Taking into account the number of apps in the App Store, I'd say Apple has done a great job of ensuring that the apps they approve are safe. Not to mention that with that many apps, it was only a matter of time before one slipped through. It is one app, and iOS 6 is taking precautions to make the OS even safer. Relax, Chicken Little, the sky is not falling.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
The only way i can make it through the day without suicide is convincing myself that people like you are just trolls.

Feb7th-jernvotten-on-Flickr.gif

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Yeah. Although Apple never used the kill switch before, this would be a good case for it.

The developer probably wasn't spamming its users until it was approved.

It's one thing to see in the review process that an app uses the contacts API. It's another to know exactly what is done with it, really.

iOS6 will help with this by asking permission to access contacts. Still needs some judgment from the user's part.

Personally, I try to to use judgment with apps even from the app store.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
and there goes the myth that ios is safer then android. Nice job for QA department

Kindof like the "myth" that Macs are safer from malware than Windows (The kind of "myth" that means "statistically accurate")?

There is this strange "a little bit of something is just as bad as a ton of something" non-logic I see a lot of lately. "iPhone 4 doesn't get Siri? Well i guess iOS is just as fragmented as Android devices that don't get any update at all!" Yeah.. Exactly. :confused:

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Kindof like the "myth" that Macs are safer from malware than Windows (The kind of "myth" that means "statistically accurate")?

There is this strange "a little bit of something is just as bad as a ton of something" non-logic I see a lot of lately. "iPhone 4 doesn't get Siri? Well i guess iOS is just as fragmented as Android devices that don't get any update at all!" Yeah.. Exactly. :confused:

its all relative. How many windows PCs exist now and how many macs are out there? Even though they sell like hotcakes macs are still have a lot lower market share but if u notice amount of malware on the macs spiked up as their market share increased. All this malware is designed to make money so they will target the marketshare where they can make the most. Its similar to what developers are doing now with IOS/Android vs. Windows phone. Everybody develops for main 2 because there is more money in it.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
/Facepalm

----------

/DoubleFacePalm

I'm not sure what you mean unless your faceplams are directed at yourself.

The poster said hundreds or thousands and then provided a link that shows thousands is actually conservative. -- the article says 20,000 malware apps target Android today.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
In this case, thats a good idea. If all the app does is spam, spam, and spam, then kill it. Was this a free app? If not, they should take the money from the developer's account (if he has received it already) and return it to the people who downloaded this app.

Agreed. They should also revoke the developer's account to make apps for iOS. Shenanigans like that should be an instant we don't accept apps from you anymore thing.

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
This isn't some massive new exploit. This won't result in a huge flood of malware to iOS. This doesn't represent a "huge flaw" with the iOS platform. This won't even need to be patched.

To put it simply: a reviewer at Apple was a bit careless and approved an app that shouldn't have been. Human error.

When you consider:

1) the high chance your malicious app will be caught on the first review
2) the speed at which Apple can disable your app if you got lucky on step 1
3) the relatively insignificant number of jailbroken/vulnerable iOS users

... still makes iOS an unattractive, unprofitable target for malware authors. The guy who made this malicious app got extremely lucky, that's all.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
So wait, I thought Apple MADE iOS tell the user when the addressbook was being accessed, is this not the case?

There hasn't been a need until now.

Apple is adding it with iOS 6, and this shady company probably heard about it just now and figure he has a few months before iOS 6 is released.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
So wait, I thought Apple MADE iOS tell the user when the addressbook was being accessed, is this not the case?

I believe this will be a new feature in iOS 6.

Also, I wonder if any of these pieces of malware aren't going "bad" until some time after they are submitted. I wonder if the review team does any kind of date checking to see if behavior is different say a month in the future for example.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The first question that pops up in my mind is; how got it in the app store in the first place.

Contrary to popular belief they don't have a warehouse of reviewers testing every app and going over every line of code. It's more like 50 folks, 100 tops and easily 1000 submissions a day. Sometimes things get through. Especially if they don't accurately describe what the app does or the trick happens in the background

----------

That is in ios6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.