Apple Purchases Machine Learning Startup Laserlike

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 13, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple last year acquired Laserlike, a machine learning startup located in Silicon Valley, reports The Information. Apple's purchase of the four-year-old company was confirmed by an Apple spokesperson with a standard acquisition statement: "Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans."

Laserlike's website says that its core mission is to deliver "high quality information and diverse perspectives on any topic from the entire web to you."

[​IMG]

The company built a search app that used discovery and personalization machine learning techniques to build a Laserlike app described as an "interest search engine" that provided news, web, video, and local content relevant to each user. The Laserlike app is no longer available following the acquisition, but the company's website continues to cover what it was focused on:
    The Information suggests that Apple will use the Laserlike acquisition to strengthen its artificial intelligence efforts, including Siri. The Laserlike team has joined the Apple AI group led by new Apple AI chief John Giannandrea, who came to Apple from Google last year.

Giannandrea has been tasked with improving Apple's machine learning initiatives and bolstering Siri, the company's voice assistant. Laserlike's technology could potentially allow Siri to learn more about Apple users to provide more tailored, personalized content.

Article Link: Apple Purchases Machine Learning Startup Laserlike

2. lunarworks macrumors 65816

I wonder if this could help out with improving Siri's knowledge of general topics, rather than defaulting to suggesting a web search.

3. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

Please, Apple, I hope this doesn't mean that you will start collecting more data from us than necessary. These things need a lot of data to effectively deliver what they promise.

4. JetTester macrumors regular

[Laserlike's website says that its core mission is to deliver "high quality information and diverse perspectives on any topic from the entire web to you."]

Hmm, that description is so generic it could have come out of a buzzword generator.

5. genovelle macrumors 6502a

Collection is fine as long as it is processed and remains on device like many of their initiatives currently do.

6. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

I sincerely hope it will stay that way.

7. Marcus PM macrumors regular

Marcus PM

This sounds like a great idea, Siri can use all the help she can get. I typically just receive a web search suggestion. Although a truly helpful assistant would need to collect much more personal information about me. That would seem to fly in the face of Apples privacy standards.

8. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65832

WatchFromAfar

I wonder if the people at Apple are so piss-poor that sites like this are encouraged by the fact Apple has bought people that didn't work for Apple.

9. Tozovac, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019

Tozovac macrumors 65816

Tozovac

I hope Apple learns to stop delivering information via low-contrast text on blinding white backgrounds with a virtual minimum of context-defining borders/zones/buttons but a maximum of space-wasting screen arrangements.

10. lunarworks macrumors 65816

Name me a big tech company that hasn't purchased smaller companies to improve their own products and services.

11. iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

12. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65832

WatchFromAfar

13. lunarworks macrumors 65816

Cool. I didn't know Mr. Red Hat wrote Linux.

Also:

• On November 15, 1999, Red Hat acquired Cygnus Solutions.
    • Later Red Hat acquired WireSpeed, C2Net and Hell's Kitchen Systems.
    • Red Hat acquired Planning Technologies, Inc in 2001 and AOL's iPlanet directory and certificate-server software in 2004.
    • Red Hat acquired open-source middleware provider JBoss on June 5, 2006, and JBoss became a division of Red Hat.
    • In 2007 Red Hat acquired MetaMatrix and made an agreement with Exadel to distribute its software.
    • On March 15, 2007, Red Hat released Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, and in June acquired Mobicents. On March 13, 2008, Red Hat acquired Amentra, a provider of systems integration services for service-oriented architecture, business process management, systems development and enterprise data services.
    • On October 16, 2015, Red Hat announced its acquisition of IT automation startup Ansible, rumored for an estimated $100 million USD.
    • In May 2018, Red Hat acquired CoreOS.
    and

On October 28, 2018, IBM announced its intent to acquire Red Hat for US$34 billion, in one of its largest-ever acquisitions. The company will operate out of IBM's Hybrid Cloud division.

14. realtuner macrumors regular

realtuner

Google.

Oh wait, sorry. Outside of search can anyone name a Google service that WASN’T a purchase? That’s literally all they do.

15. Kabeyun, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2019

Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

Any news potentially connected to making Siri smarter makes me happy.

16. TracesOfArsenic macrumors regular

TracesOfArsenic

Joke: How many acquisitions does it take Apple to make Siri competent?
    Answer: Here's what I found on the web for Imagine Dragons.

17. jerryk macrumors 601

Maybe a buzzword generator was why Apple bought Laserlike?

18. Tesix2 macrumors newbie

another Apple acquisition targeting the collection and abuse of user data

19. deebinem macrumors regular

deebinem

Ugh, even Siri likes that damn "band"? I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...

20. Tozovac macrumors 65816

Tozovac

2.5 years of dating Erin (and 3,478 manual correction of iMessage voice dictation) and Siri still thinks I’m dating some dude named Aaron.

21. Blackwell macrumors member

Blackwell

49 20 6d 69 73 73 20 74 68 65 20 77 69 6e 6b 20 41 76 61 74 61 72

22. StellarVixen, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019

StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

OMG, a hex riddle? Is this how we are gonna communicate? Fine.

53 74 69 63 6b 20 74 6f 20 74 68 65 20 74 6f 70 69 63 2c 20 70 6c 65 61 73 65 2e

23. cb3 macrumors member

"Siri, I'ld like to find a tutor in my area."

Answer: Let me get this straight. You would like to find tofu in your hair-net?

24. Blackwell macrumors member

Blackwell

Sometimes I get bored and drift around. Great posts btw

25. ipponrg macrumors 65816

Considering Siri was a purchase in itself, this sounds like a purchase to fix/update/improve a prior purchase. I look forward to more AI/ML purchases to the Siri stack to indirectly let us know how botched the original purchase was