apple push notification - money waisted?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shk718, Jun 13, 2009.

1. shk718 macrumors 6502a

here is an article i agree with - which says that there are very few programs i'd want push notification for. and right now in bejive i have push notifications via sms for im- so right now i see no need for the feature. do you think apple spend a fortune putting it together and we don't need it? what do you want push notification for?

http://justanotheriphoneblog.com/wo...tifications-how-much-do-you-want-to-be-pushed

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I was amused by the bluntness of your post but I have to admit I am in the same position as the OP. I have no apps currently installed on my phone that would utilize push. What can I say? I'm a minimalist.

I'm not saying that Apple wasted their money on this tech because there's a lot of users out there that will get extensive benefits from this service. What I'm saying is this (I've never said it before and you'll probably never see me say it again because it's WAY overused and abused around here): YMMV.

OP - It's definitely not a waste.

CocoaPuffs - He wasn't trolling. He just needed to word his statement a little better to illustrate he was expressing his opinion rather than fact.

4. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

What about facebook, myspace, meebo, espn/sports apps, medical apps, app store, weatherbug, ebay, etc. These are just a few that might need them, there are way more out there. So no its not a waste of money.

5. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Well, I actually like that I don't need it for a lot of apps because I think it would be annoying to be constantly receiving notifications. But just having it for IM apps and todo apps is worth it for me.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Why is it trolling to post a link to an article with a different perspective? The OP may not know how to spell "wasted," but the article itself is well-written, thoughtful, and worth a read. I tend to agree with it too. The only thing I'm looking forward to having "pushed" that the article doesn't list is alarms/alerts from task management and calendar apps, and those wouldn't need to be pushed if Apple would enable an API for apps to access the iPhone's native alarm functions. While I wouldn't say push is a waste, because there *are* a lot of users who would find it useful, I can say that I'm not one of those users, and I expect there are many others like me.

7. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

Facebook- if anyone has ever used the BB facebook app they know how convenient push notifications can be. It's not a necessity, certainly, but it is convenient. IM programs are an obvious example, and perhaps a Gmail app that could be added for push mail is another option for the phone. The possibilities are there and its a way to keep 'in touch' with an app when you have to close it. To me its a building block for background apps, which I'm sure will follow eventually.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

App Store? Why would you want the App Store to push anything to you? Oh, you mean to tell you when there are new apps available? Hm, could be useful if you could configure it to tell you when there's a specific type of app available, but if it notifies you every time a new app appears in the App Store, or even every time a new app appears in a category you specify, you'd be deluged with notifications. No thanks, I'll check for new apps when I want to. Which was the point the article was trying to make! ;)

9. shk718 thread starter macrumors 6502a

how is this trolling? - i'm asking a question. i was wondering what people are going to use the push notification for because i couldn't think of anything. perhaps i'm missing something but i think they put a lot of infra structure into something that not many people will be using.

10. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'd use it for Beejive, at the very least, and that alone is worthwhile for me.

11. shk718 thread starter macrumors 6502a

don't you use the push that beejive offers now- i get sms's (or emails) when i get a new message.

12. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I have this turned on, but never really knew what it did..

13. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

No, actually it is for when there is an update app in the app store. I always have to periodically open up the app store so that it can then load and tell me if one of my apps need to be updated.

14. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

It is definatley money well spent, just because it doesnt appeal to everyone doesnt make it a waste, and you might find an app with a use for it in future, like the others said ebay is a must, i.m. apps, it will be much better than email or sms notifying, no deleting etc and a direct link in the notification. would be very good for the medical apps as these are aparently VERY popular, there is the obvious things like news related / rss, personally i would use it for them but i know people that would, bloomsberg etc, social networking would have huge benefits, from location to messages etc, i have an xbox app that tells me when my friends are online, that would be cool, for fitness people having something like runkeeper sending times / challenges between friends would be cool, even games that could be played server side with no battery drain sending you alerts (sims springs to mind) notify of content (as per user request) like book apps etc, i think just these would justify it alone.

15. sd2009 macrumors 6502

not a real substitute for PNs. and im sick of my inbox being full of beejive notifications..

16. BigOrangeSU macrumors regular

Wow unfortunately this gets me a little depressed. I mean I agree and don't think I will use push notifications for much, I wish my gmail would be true push, so I wouldn't have to use mobile me to get actual push technology. On the other hand this situation is a catch 22 because if Apple didn't waste the money to develop the system, people would be complaining but if Apple did, which they did, then I eventually see this system kinda dieing out and not being used as often.

17. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

Why do you care if Apple wasted money, its not your money. And this is a good service. Push through SMS gets annoying after a while, a badge on the app is a better idea. Facebook, Myspace, Aim will work great with it!

18. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

What??? Do you not see all the ways it would be used?

19. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I use Beejive so I don't have to use text messaging. It kind of defeats the purpose if every message I receive uses a text anyway.

20. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

I'll only be using it for two apps to begin with (Beejive and facebook). I'll only use it for other apps if they give really fine control over what notifications are pushed. For example, for ESPN, I don't want a notification for every single news story, but if I could get updates only for my favourite team that would be great. If it stays all-or-nothing I don't see using it too much cause it'll be too annoying.