Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2000
Monrovia, CA
and the content providers wonder why we, um, get things from other sources. if all the studios were in on a service and it had a 28-day delay after disc release, i'd pay $20 a month for that.

unfortunately i pay $8 for something that is a lot less

and i do other things ;)

hspace

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Yep, if Apple could break the cable (& satellite) provider lock on programming, I would definitely be excited.

Of course the industry will fight this. It would be a giant paradigm shift for the industry. Some will benefit greatly, Some will lose a lot. But it is inevitable - it will happen sooner or later.

rumplestiltskin

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2006
Considering that 95% of the channels provided with my satellite TV package are crap or pay-per-view, creative destruction seems to be a good idea.

Let Apple spend some of its money on producing really good content and providing Internet service. Then watch the other content providers and cable companies lick Tim's boots.

This should be an interesting year ahead. :D

klrobinson999

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008
..Sources also indicate that Apple has tried with no success to convince cable companies to adopt Apple hardware for their own set-top boxes, with Apple providing sleek hardware and software to deliver content to existing cable subscribers across the United States.

So does Apple want to create a full-scale TV or a set-top box?

If Cable execs have "closed the door", then Apple has an uphill climb, unless their TV also has a traditional coaxial cable option. Most of the major networks have apps, so they could easily include them by default. Could your cable service be its own app?

If they're thinking about the set-top box, then TiVO has the best interface and ease of use, so that might be a wise use of all that extra money they have lying around. Cable companies are required by law to support TiVO and other outside DVRs, so they would be forced to support Apple if they went this route.

Will the full-scale iTV make its debut at the WWDC? Perfect timing for a preview with a release before the Fall TV season. The Fall is now reserved by the yearly iPhone release, so it won't happen then.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I see this a little different that the music industry.....the studios and cable companies have alot more weight than the record companies did back when apple launched itunes. Should be interesting.........

Yes...both parties now have deeper pockets. Let's make no bones about it the movie industry is expensive.

You can build a home studio for music for 30 grand and kick out some nice stuff. 30 grand may build a RED camera or two that can help.

But in the end the movie industry is having the same issues that the music industry faced. How to face the digital transition and not lose their shirts.

They don't realize it but so many people aren't signing up for cable. I haven't subscribed to my local cable provider in 5 years. If they don't move into the 21st Century i'm going to stick with renting DVD cheaply from Red Box and other cord cutting measures.

That's why I think they'll make the deal before their revenue starts to dry up.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Considering that 95% of the channels provided with my satellite TV package are crap or pay-per-view, creative destruction seems to be a good idea.

Let Apple spend some of its money on producing really good content and providing Internet service. Then watch the other content providers and cable companies lick Tim's boots.

This should be an interesting year ahead. :D

How do you propose Apple providing internet service ?

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Content and Cable companies trying to protect their Monopolies? Shock :eek:

It was nice when Verizon put a little heat on cable companies with FIOs. Now hopefully Apple will do the same - but I feel this will end in court much like Verizon had to battle in just about every area they rolled FIOS out to....

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Go Ahead and buy Dishnetwork and Direct Tv and create your own set top box and cable network will follow.
Yes if Apple wants to go down this path then thy should buy DirecTV. I have DirecTV right now and am quite happy with it. I'd have zero reason to switch to Apple.

waldobushman

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
$100B - what to do with it

Perhaps dividends from Apple is not in the cards. They just might buy a cable provider, or a couple of primary content providers.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Just curious, how do you make a set-top box "sleek"? I mean it's basically a black box, no?

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
Wouldn't be surprised if negotiations go something like this....
Apple: "You better get on board or we'll make sure we f'n bury you"

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Perhaps dividends from Apple is not in the cards. They just might buy a cable provider, or a couple of primary content providers.

I can't see Apple buying a cable company but Dish or DirecTV could be a possibility. I've read that both are looking for a buyer.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005

Screw the provider, go straight to the meat... the content providers and cut contracts w/ those cable providers. Nothing better than a big f u to them.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I can't see Apple buying a cable company but Dish or DirecTV could be a possibility. I've read that both are looking for a buyer.

That only solves part of the problem for part of the world. It's not a business model that can easily expand internationally.

They need to come to some terms that content providers can agree to, to have a template that other providers might also be persuaded to follow.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
truth be told, i don't think apple would ever get in content providing. They protect themselves from that kind of liability by offering end delivery. It allows them to be flexible as times and content changes. They don't have to retool when content changes. Also by being on the end of this chain, they have control over end price but we all know their content offered, music, movie, apps is all about selling the hardware!

ABernardoJr

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2006
I've always enjoyed Apple products, but after getting an iPhone and iPad recently, I really wish all the device interfaces I used were made by apple - DVR/STB, Car, Microwave, whatever. So many of the interfaces we use are just really crappy.

I've actually thought this a number of times. You really do start to notice how inefficient, cluttered, etc. lots of UI are after getting used to the way Apple really masters theirs.

Sleepymoose285

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
They need to fix this system...

I'm glad Apple is trying to tackle TV and cable. The telco's do nothing but try to shove larger packages and more channels down our throats, and attempt to raise prices on consumers constantly for the same subpar content. I enjoy TV, but I only have time to watch ~1 hr per day, so I want what I watch to be great. Why can't I just buy channels or shows that I want, when I want, and then perhaps have another set of channels soley for the purposes of discovering new shows that networks would like me to start watching. It makes no sense that we have this terrible UI, little control over what is on our screen at any given time, and for this we pay much more than we would like.

I hope Apple can change this dynamic the same way they changed the phone-carrier relationship. It's too bad that the networks haven't been very receptive so far. I don't care about the technology side of things; not only is it already good enough, but it's clearly not the limiting factor. Steve Jobs mentioned this in his D8 interview: "there's a fundamental go-to-market problem, not a technology problem" (quoting loosely).

For starters, why can't I have the NBC, ABC, HBOgo, and whatever other major video content app I'm missing that currently exists on the iPad on my ATV2(or soon 3)? It already exists as an iOS app, so one could just modify it to work with the Apple TV UI. The same argument could be made for HULU plus (although I'm not a subscriber) and amazon prime video.

I just find it annoying that clearly much better technological solutions exist, and a few unwilling/incompetent executives refuse to act for fear of potentially losing money they shouldn't be earning in the first place (namely, charging consumers for content they don't even want).

klrobinson999

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008
I'm sure there could be some way to turn each channel feed into its own app, and to be able to pick and choose which channel app will appear on your screen and in what order. Maybe this is how they get the cable companies on board -- you still have to subscribe to every channel, but the end user will choose which channels to actually place on their home screens.

This would be in addition to all the other apps one could download. Netflix and YouTube are a given, but would Apple allow Hulu Plus to have an app? Amazon Instant Video On Demand? CinemaNow? Vudu?

I think the biggest plus would be gaming and the ability to download games to your TV at will. The end of the video game system as a separate device is just around the corner.

Throw in a full Safari browser for web access and you have a winner.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Screw the provider, go straight to the meat... the content providers and cut contracts w/ those cable providers. Nothing better than a big f u to them.

Trouble is - the cable companies have large stakes in all of the content providers. For example: Comcast owns part of E! Entertainment Television, Style Network, G4, The Golf Channel and NBC Sports Network.

cdmcmahon

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2010
I still have a few questions:

1) With the "channel as an app" idea, would it still follow a set schedule? Like for a specify program, would I still have to tune in at an exact time, say 7:00 p.m.? That seems like a really antiquated concept that should die.

I'd really like it more specific than just channels. I really just like buying my individual shows (like I can in iTunes now) and would like that expanded to more sports coverage and HBO.

2) Speaking of HBO, are they going to be able to get HBO on board? That's the biggest thing Apple could do to make this thing successful, in my mind. But, of course, cable companies know this, and so they don't want HBO available to anyone without cable (at least not conveniently).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.