Apple Pushing for $5 Beats Music Subscriptions as Spotify Debuts Discounted Family Plan

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 20, 2014.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As previously reported, Apple plans to relaunch its recently acquired Beats Music subscription early next year and hopes to offer the service with with a lowered monthly cost. According to new "industry scuttlebut" relayed to Re/code, Apple is pushing music labels to cut streaming music subscription prices in half to $5 per month.
    Any reduction offered to Apple would be available to other services, making it less likely music industry executives would approve of a 50 percent discount. Re/code notes Apple will more likely meet the music labels in the middle with a monthly fee in the range of $7-8.

While Apple negotiates the terms for its Beats Music streaming service, rival Spotify is upping the ante with a new Spotify Family plan. Similar to Rdio's Unlimited Family plan, Spotify Family allows a premium subscriber to add up to four additional members for $4.99/month each, a 50 percent discount off the regular $9.99 individual premium plan. Spotify announced the family plans today and will roll then out globally in the coming weeks.

Article Link: Apple Pushing for $5 Beats Music Subscriptions as Spotify Debuts Discounted Family Plan

2. silvetti, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2014

silvetti macrumors 6502a

silvetti

3. lewismayell macrumors 6502a

4. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

They'll morph into the same thing someday down the road.

5. saha-med macrumors regular

Thats where the mac mini savings go to....

Or to make the new iphone thinner

6. fa8362 macrumors 65816

I wouldn't pay 1 cent per month for it. There's free music everywhere.

7. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

With ya there, though I'm not holding out much hope, since iTunes Radio shows no signs of heading this way....

8. beany boy macrumors 6502

beany boy

So what happens to dummy's like me who paid $99 for a year last month?

9. RedOrchestra Suspended

Apple, once again, wringing and stretching the content suppliers BUT holding firm on their profit margins. Pretty soon there won't be any content.

10. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

With so many free options and being able to keep all of my music on my phone, I still don't get the appeal of paying for radio.

If I were starting from scratch with no music maybe - maybe that's why this appeals to younger people. But I have all of my CD's and years worth of purchases on my phone - anything I want to listen to is there.

11. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Who would buy a loaf of bread when you can just steal it?

12. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

He is obviously a fan on Winston. Next he will be stealing crab legs as well.

13. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

Wow, the biggest music spenders on iTunes buy the equivalent of a $10 CD every 2 months. I remember buying an album a week in high school! :eek:

14. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Don't forget to get an autograph and mug a girlfriend.

15. decimortis macrumors 6502a

decimortis

While I agree with your sentiment, I'm not entirely sure he was talking about stealing music. I'm listening to free music streaming on Songza right now. The odd ad here and there keeps it at an affordable zero dollars per month.

D.

16. cleirac macrumors 6502

Ah, you meant illegal music d/l and some shifty youtubing or samples of a little bit of this or that - not quality and legal music all you need, want, hope or wish for anytime and anywhere (in the comfort / palm of your smart devices) that support the artists.

17. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

Well let's not assume he's stealing music. iTunes Radio is free. And I'll tell you that, even though my personal music library has over 3000 songs in it, I listen to iTunes Radio almost exclusively these days. Tried out Beats for the free trial. I think the interface is too kludgy and confusing, but I like the concept. Hope Apple cleans it up some with the re-launch.

18. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

Just switched to Spotify from Rdio, mostly because i wanted to be able to manage my music all from one app, the stuff i already have and the stuff i stream.

What i need is a streaming service that lets me use the music i already have and lets me buy the stuff that is not available from the service (for whatever reason not all songs/albums are at all times).

I want one app to run my music, for the stuff already on my computer and the stuff i stream.

If Beats does that and it plays nice with Sonos i will be switching over.

19. fa8362 macrumors 65816

There's free legal music everywhere.

20. xero9 macrumors 6502a

21. MaxSB7 macrumors newbie

Expand the library, integrate the streamable beats music seamlessly with the rest of my iTunes library, and I'd be glad to pay $10 or more per month. That's the only thing keeping me away from these streaming services. None of them let you integrate music you own into their libraries. I know you can add stuff to spotify in playlists, but that isn't the same as adding music directly to the library. That's so unorganized and obligatory.

22. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Yes, just like music, the baker can make one loaf of bread and then copy it as many times as he wants and for as long as he wants for $0.

23. fa8362 macrumors 65816

There's no need to steal it. It's freely available and legal. TV too.

24. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I've switched around a bit in the last few years. Has the Spotify app stopped being a glitchy mess with poor design? I like Rdio but the cheaper family plan at Spotify is tempting. Otherwise it's worth the extra monthly cost just for the good design/stable app. Rdio also finally upped the stream quality to 320kbps AAC and now has fine grained controls for WiFi and Cellular.

25. BassPlayer macrumors member

BassPlayer

I pay the $10/month for Spotify Premium. As a musician in a cover band, I need to be able to access a good quality version of songs when it's time to learn them. I make a playlist, listen to the songs when I'm out and about, then go home and the playlist is right there for me to learn.

If Apple/Beats will do this for cheaper (with the same or larger library), I'm in.