iPhone X Apple: Put back headphone jack or I will switch to Android.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UBS28, Mar 25, 2018.

1. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

I am tired of making sure I got my headphone adapter with me. That is not good user experience and it just doesn’t work straight out of the box which Apple products used to do.

And no, wireless headphones sounds terrible, I have tried them all. I only have a pair of wireless headphones for when I am flying due to the noise cancellation feature it has.

Looks like I will go to Android if the next generations $1500 iPhone’s have no headphone output.

2. chabig macrumors 603

3. UBS28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

We shall see in 2 years when my iPhone X gets too slow.

It is definetly one which you can use headphones without the need of using dongles.

Using dongles for a mobile device is simply not good user experience.

4. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

There are some damn good android phones out there. Have fun!

5. TechNismo macrumors 6502

TechNismo

Alright, it was great knowing you. You may switch over to Android now. Apple is not bringing back the headphone jack and no one here is going to stop from switching to Android. BYE!

6. UBS28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I definetly will. I have had many iPhone’s for many years but it looks like the iPhone X is going to be last one.

7. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

I seriously doubt Apple is going to bring back the headphone jack. It’d be awful uncharacteristic of them.

What headphones are you using currently? I’ve used some cheap Bluetooth units and I’d agree that the sound quality was poor, but some of the higher end options sound good to me.

8. UBS28, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018

UBS28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have some $1000 IEM’s which i usually use with an external DAC. But when the battery runs dead, I have to rely on a dongle to use it (so i need to make sure I have this dongle with me also)

I have the Bose QC35 II myself (which actually is alot better than the Beats Studio 3 that I also tried) but it is nowhere close to my IEM’s. But I only use it for flights to get rid of the engine noise.

9. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

As much as I would like Apple to return the headphone jack I do not see that happening. That is one reason I use my SE way more than my 8. Maybe, just maybe, if the SE 2 becomes a reality, Apple throws me a bone and keeps the 3.5mm jack in it. I don’t think it will happen but I can always hope.

10. m0sher macrumors 6502

m0sher

I have Sennhieser IE60’s and though I consider them average earbuds they better than beats X.

I too dislike having that white dongle attached, I feel it on the cord when wearing my buds and it’s so noticeabe, ugly, and makes them look like they are Jerry rigged.

I almost switched to android, but other more important factors swayed me to the X and i’ll live with not having a 3.5mm jack over what I was giving up moving to a droid ‘to me’.

Everyone except Samsung I believe has followed suit with proprietary audio jack and that phone comes with bloatware on top of the android OS if you don’t mind that.

I’ve been looking for some wireless earbuds or perhaps ones with a lightning adapter that are worth it however I have found none that are better sound quality IMO over my IE60’s and I’m not vesting in 3.5mm earbuds any longer. I’ll save the specifics for another thread.

In the end I don’t use my phone primarily for music, I have my computer set up with the Schitt DAC and amp to push HD650’s when I want to listen to music correctly.

11. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

That is the main reason I bought the Samsung S9, I luv Apple but NO headphone jack just pi$$ me off..

12. Relentless Power, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I can definitively tell you right now you will be switching to android in the fall. Multiple Apple executives have commented that the 3.5 mm Jack is antiquated and consumes necessary space for Camera, processor and battery improvements. The 3.5 Jack is not coming back.

13. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Back in the day, I stood tall against all devices without a headphone jack. Two weeks ago, I finally decided to buy a $239 wireless earphone (Shure SE 215), and could not be happier. The sound quality perfectly aligns with my current wired headphone and Bluetooth delay is manageable (same level as Apple AirPods - i mean, if a generic Bluetooth headphone could reach the same delay level, why bother adding an extra chip? Just for easy pair?). Right now I am exclusively using this Bluetooth headphone for almost everything I need for music/voice call. Oh, I am still sticking with my iPhone 6s Plus, which DOES have a headphone jack.

14. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Better get a samsung then as pretty much rest of android will be scrapping the headphone jack. Companies see it as wasted space when wireless headphones are the future.

15. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

I still think wired headphone has its own advantage, but Bluetooth headphone can also be super great while the price is on par with Apple AirPods (everything minus sound quality is great). Sacrifice some functions, everyone can get a good set of Bluetooth headphones.

16. Azzin macrumors 601

Azzin

Just leave the adapter connected to the headphones.

That way, there’s nothing to find.

Seems like another look at me type post.

17. forestinjersey macrumors member

forestinjersey

18. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Then it will be Android for YOU! Enjoy!

19. Moneoa macrumors regular

Moneoa

This post is merely to draw attention to the poster. “Look at me” As it’s coming from an ardent anti Apple provocateur. Just my two cents. If you ignore it, it goes away.

20. Joined:
    Aug 4, 2016
    Perhaps because they use their headphones in other devices which have the universal jack socket.

21. pika2000 macrumors 601

So basically you are simply going to buy Samsung moving forward. Okay.

Google, HTC, Sony, and even Xiaomi have or will drop the headphone jack on their flagships. The holdout is just Samsung at this point.

I’m curious why didn’t you just return your iPhone on day 1? I mean it’s not like you didn’t know it lacks a headphone jack. Whining of not having a headphone jack yet keeping an iPhone that doesn’t have one is stupid. Just Trade in the X for the Galaxy S9.

22. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I agree the lack of headphone jack is damn inconvenient. I was determined to stay with the 6S but the damn thing broke and I had to get an 8. I guess Apple will eventually remove the lightning connector after all you can wireless charge and use bluetooth for audio.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 26, 2018 ---
    I have a speaker system in my holiday home that I plug the iPhone into. I was following your method of leaving the headphone jack connected to the speaker system and left it behind when i returned home. Unlikely to be back in my holiday home for three months.

23. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

$9 US (not sure how much in EURO) and you can have a second adapter one for your holiday home and one to leave connected... Surely someone who can afford a holiday home won't have an issue buying a $9 adapter

24. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

“All” is a strong word for the claim you make, as you cannot try them all even if you dedicate yourself to do so. I am sure you know that.
    Meanwhile, forget about wireless headphone for a bit. Why not choosing a headphone with detachable cable and include a wireless module instead? I have Shure SE215 and it’s sound is astounding. I mean, insanely good.