Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Putting Finishing Touches on WWDC Decorations at McEnery Convention Center

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The first WWDC 2019 events kick off in just two days with the early arrival of student scholars, and Apple is putting the finishing touches on decorations at and around the McEnery Convention Center in San Jose.

Decorations on the convention center, light poles, and public transit stops all carry the same neon theme on dark blue as seen on other WWDC materials, with the front entrance area of the convention center covered in a huge sheet displaying a robot emoji with all sorts of icons exploding out of the top of it and the "Dub Dub" nickname sometimes used for WWDC.

Photos from earlier in the assembly process hint at the possibility of some sort of lighting behind the sheet, so we'll have to wait and see what it looks like at night.

The main event of WWDC 2019 kicks off on Monday at 10:00 am Pacific Time with the traditional keynote, and we'll have full coverage here on MacRumors.com and through our MacRumorsLive Twitter account.

Update 8:51 PM: As shared on Twitter by Lucas Wagner, the "Dub Dub" graphic on the facade of the McEnery Convention Center has now been lit.

It's lit. pic.twitter.com/aGHJ3KAeMX - Lucas Wagner (@lucaswazowski) June 1, 2019

Article Link: Apple Putting Finishing Touches on WWDC Decorations at McEnery Convention Center

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
OMG, that art looks so awesomely cute and the dub dub ref ... uwu.

Comment

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68030
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Will be there next week Wednesday. Not in a developer capacity, anybody from MR wants to meet up?

Comment

sully54

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2012
Canada
If the sign does indeed light up at night, then dark mode in iOS is definitely a thing.

Comment

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I used to keep myself updated with this even months before I get excited. Now I just like ok in just 2 days move on I hardly watch Apple Event keynotes anymore.

Most of us will never become Apple developers per se even if we might create a few scripts with the tools MacOS offers us, but I love the excitement around WWDC and I keep those keynote podcast downloads forever! It's the easiest way to reflect on the arc of our own abilities to extrapolate productivity and enjoyment from Apple's developments and its extension of those to third party developers. They --and we-- have sure come a long way together, even in years we expected more from hardware or maybe even a little less of a tweak of some basic software. :rolleyes:

You sound like it's all hit a plateau. Maybe that's just the arc of your own interest. The WWDC does always reveal the fact that overall the Apple developers including the newest ones are still on the upswing, and as excited as they ever were about opportunities to make the most of Apple's own ongoing developments. We are the potential beneficiaries of all that and to me it's always worth seeing the kickoff to their developers' conference.

Comment

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
Dub Dub as in Duplicating iOS apps on MacOS perhaps? It must refer to one of the rumoured announcements, and the robot with apps is too specific to just refer to iOS dark mode IMO.

Comment

posguy99

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2004
Hopefully not only for oled devices

That's all everyone needs, to have to listen to the non-OLED phone owners whine about their "battery drain" when they follow the sheep and turn dark mode on.

Comment

jonblatho

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2014
Missouri
Why is this not at the big zero building? I thought that's why they built it.
The on-site auditorium is way too small for the keynote/platforms SOTU (capacity of 1,000 vs. several thousand) and they need further additional capacity to hold multiple simultaneous labs and sessions. Apple Park was never built for WWDC.

Comment

code-m

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Dub Dub as in Duplicating iOS apps on MacOS perhaps? It must refer to one of the rumoured announcements, and the robot with apps is too specific to just refer to iOS dark mode IMO.

Automation, ML, etc = Robot with apps exploding out of its head. Mesh ML throughout iOS and apps.

Just a guess.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.