Apple Q3 2005 Financial Results

asif786

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
Apple reveals best ever quarter ($320m profit)

CUPERTINO, California—July 13, 2005—Apple® today announced financial results for its fiscal 2005 third quarter ended June 25, 2005, reporting the highest revenue and earnings in the Company’s history. Apple posted a net quarterly profit of $320 million, or $.37 per diluted share, and revenue of $3.52 billion. These results compare to a net profit of $61 million, or $.08 per diluted share, and revenue of $2.01 billion in the year-ago quarter, and represent revenue growth of 75 percent and net profit growth of 425 percent. Gross margin was 29.7 percent, up from 27.8 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 39 percent of the quarter’s revenue.

Apple shipped 1,182,000 Macintosh® units and 6,155,000 iPods during the quarter, representing 35 percent growth in Macs and 616 percent growth in iPods over the year-ago quarter.

“We are delighted to report Apple’s best quarter ever in both revenue and earnings,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “The launch of Mac OS X Tiger has been a tremendous success, and we have more amazing new products in the pipeline.”

“We’re very pleased to report 75 percent revenue growth and a 425 percent increase in net income,” said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple’s CFO. “Looking ahead to the fourth quarter of fiscal 2005, we expect revenue of about $3.5 billion and earnings per diluted share of about $.32.”
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jul/13results.html

how super :)

Applespider

macrumors G4
Great results... so Creative now can't say that their Zen sales are bad because the whole sector is weak :rolleyes:

And two quarters in a row (generally the weakest of the year) when Mac sales were over a million shipped... (doesn't this just count for retail and distributor sales too - it's not including Apple online sales?)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Apple shares up $.76 in after hours trading. I hope this is the beginning of another run up as I still own 250 shares.

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
That is crazy.
I would have thought iPod sales would have stayed pretty steady (even decline) but the iPod craze is obviously still very much there - given all the analyst's saying that the portable mp3 industry was in decline.
Also Mac sales wow, Apple have a crap line up atm, especially laptops, (apart from argueably iMac's) so i am v surprised they were up from last quarter, also given the Intel announcement.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
:eek:

Those are some amazing numbers. 6.1 million+ iPods and 1.1 million+ Macs. Congratulations Apple...

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has announced their Q3 2005 Financial Results today:

Apple said net income for its third fiscal quarter ended June 25 rose to $320 million, or 37 cents per share, from $61 million, or 8 cents a share, a year ago, on a split-adjusted basis.

Revenue rose 75 percent to $3.52 billion from $2.01 billion.
The webcast conference call is ongoing.

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
:eek: :eek: :eek:
NICE! Very impressive. I wish they would still be telling us computer-independant sales, but oh well... :(
How does this compare to the last quarter? It has definately grown immensly compared to a year ago.

EDIT: 616% growth in iPods!?! Wow, it's still growing.

llama :eek:

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
Wow, that's quite impressive! I never would have guessed that summer could be the highest ever. I can't wait to see how things go this fall/winter.

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
Wait! What???

I thought this was supposed to be a slow quarter with a decline in sales or something. Somehow my expectations were lowered to where good news seems even better, how ridiculously ingenious.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2003
Somewhere in the USA
Very good news all around.

They set a record for portable sales. So much for people worrying about the lack of a Powerbook G5. :)

They didn't say specifically how many Powerbooks were sold versus iBooks, but if the whole unit set a record, they can't be doing that bad.

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
abrooks said:
I'm completely stoked, these finance companies need new analysers because they got Apple sooooooo wrong :D
Exactly, they had me sooo worried. But hey, you gotta say this is a nice suprise, like the feeling we all used on christmas if we didn't peak. It would have been worse if the analysers said something extraordinary, letting us down. At least we didn't get our hopes up. Actually, I kinda like these analysers! ;)

llama

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
rosalindavenue said:
Can one of your business types distinguish between "shipped" and "sold?" What if a bunch of computers are sitting in inventory, unsold?
When they say shipped, I believe they're meaning sold... but I could be wrong.

llama :eek:

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2003
Somewhere in the USA
Another thing I was struck by during the conference call: both Mac and iPod sales were up and doing quite well apparently. I assume someone will post the specifics.

In Macbytes there were recent articles saying iPod sales were slumping while Macs were going up, and another one saying the opposite. They were both wrong: both are up! :)

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
abrooks said:
I'm completely stoked, these finance companies need new analysers because they got Apple sooooooo wrong :D
My thoughts exactly. Most of these so-called "analysts" are about as useful as a guidance counselor. If they really had all the answers, they wouldn't be "analyzing" to begin with.

But I'm glad things are going well at Apple. All this "growth" talk is giving me a little growth of my own.

Fishes,
narco.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Fredstar said:
That is crazy.
I would have thought iPod sales would have stayed pretty steady (even decline) but the iPod craze is obviously still very much there - given all the analyst's saying that the portable mp3 industry was in decline.
Also Mac sales wow, Apple have a crap line up atm, especially laptops, (apart from argueably iMac's) so i am v surprised they were up from last quarter, also given the Intel announcement.
I don't think the Intel announcement will effect Apple much, if at all. The general public, by and large , have no idea about the switch. Apple's power users and geeks do and sales of Power Macs already have sucked for 3 quarters now.