Apple quality control??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bushman4, Jun 3, 2011.

1. bushman4, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011

bushman4 macrumors 68000

I ordered a BTO IMAC 27" with an SSD and here I am making a list of all the things to check when I finally get this IMAC.
    The list goes on and on. This is rediculous, its almost like I'm buying a refurbished computer. But wait this is a brand new $2500+ computer. Why isn't Apple checking to see if the screen is yellow or if there's dust under the glass????
    APPLE's Quality control leaves much to be desired. And while most people won't address this issue we all suffer the consequences
    Its not like Apple is selling millions of Imacs and cant produce them fast enough. so theres no excuse.

2. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

So your complaining about defects on a machine that you have not yet received?

3. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

So the point of this post exactly, besides complaining about the purchase you already went ahead and made? These are all well known problems. Apple is aware and at least they are offering replacements until YOU are satisfied. It doesn't look like much is going to be changed about the machines otherwise (much like AntennaGate). If you're that peeved, buy a different product. Save us from yet another yellow tint/dust/dead pixel/do my fans work!!!!11 post.

Be thankful you are educated on the issue and can point out any issues upon delivery. Enjoy your new iMac.

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

5. bushman4 thread starter macrumors 68000

The point is...........Where is the Quality Control??? Yes Apple will replace a machine that has any issues but this only costs Apple and agravates the customer. More rigid control in production would benefit everybody.

6. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Keep in mind that every product has problems, and those constitute a tiny fraction of the total number of units sold. Those who have problems are (obviously) more vocal than those who don't, and come to complain on forums. This creates the illusion that a huge percentage of iMacs have problems.

Just remember that Apple will replace your machine if there are issues, and take comfort in that. Don't go fishing for problems as soon as your machine arrives either - it will just stress you out. If there is a noticeable problem, you will notice it (duh), and Apple will swap it out. If you go over anything with a fine-toothed comb, you will find something to be unhappy about.

Trust me, I got super-OCD with my iPhone 4 purchase, and 3 exchanges later I realized I was making a big deal out of things that didn't even affect my use, that I never would have even noticed if I wasn't specifically going over it in detail.

7. Vylen macrumors 65816

They don't QC every single item that's produced. As simple as that. Because manufacturing is mainly an automated process, the production lines will slow down significantly if all items that pop off the line are tested for any defects - this defeats the purpose of a fast production line!

This is the same as with any other company that pushes stuff down the line. Cheaper companies probably don't even QC stuff.

8. wxman2003 Suspended

Run the yellow screen tint test on other lcd screens. I decided to use that test on the various lcd screens at work from different vendors. Tested on 20 monitors and 90% had some degree of yellow tinting. The larger the screen the more obvious. My conclusion, it's a common problem.

9. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I haven't noticed any screen issues on my 2011 21.5" iMac.

10. jgo78 macrumors 6502

yellow or other color tinting problems is the 'norm' and a perfect uniform screen is an abnormality. It should be the other way around but unfortunately is not the case. I have gone through 3 imacs now hoping to get a perfect one but there is no such thing. The things I look for are:

1) screen issues, whether it's tinting issues, stuff under the screen, dead pixels etc.

2) noise from screen or internal hardware

3) system stability and heat issues.

4) dings, nicks, scratches

11. Pintail macrumors member

I feel your pain, Bushman. I'm worried about my bto 27 as well, and I also got flamed on the other thread for mentioning it.

After I let the smoke die down, I realized the responders were right - if not a little harsh in the replies. The reason I'm finally making the leap to Apple IS for the quality. We're paying a substantial amount (more than I've ever spent on a computer) and have justified the cost by repeating the mantra that we're getting an amazing machine.

But even though there is ever increasing anxiety with the mysterious wait and changing ship dates, it is unreasonable to expect Apple to turn on and test every machine, as it is unreasonable to expect them to explain ship dates that are actually within their predicted window (I admit it, I am paranoid).

I have to believe the quality control comes from the start to finish process. Incredible engineering, using parts that aren't the fastest but are the most reliable, impeccable manufacturing plants, the best OS on the planet and finally, unparalleled customer support.

As an analogy, even BMW's have individual issues - but they are still a hellova better car than a Ford Focus (no offense Focus owners).

Check out some of the other threads where the 21'ers are bragging about their screaming fast machines. It'll make you feel better.

Painfully waiting along with you!

12. MacHamster68, Jun 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

the quality control at Apple is just normal like at HP for example , they too test only every 100th or 1000th computer produced , just one of every batch , and for a reason
    it's the same in the car industry , they too dont test every car from front to back
    only companys who do that actually is Rolls Royce and top range of ferrari (like the enzo) where they even reject a car if only a tiny panel in the boot does not fit 100% or the stitching on the seats is not perfect .so quality control starts from the very first moment the components for the parts get delivered , until the finished car gets handed over to the customer and they have a custmer base who would not accept anything less then 100% perfection , but you know their price tags

Apple could do that too , build a iMac to 100% perfection , so not even the most sensible customer could not find any flaw ...but would you buy a iMac with a 25000 dollar price tag as that how much a hand build iMac with most rigorous quality control would cost at least
    So for Apple it is still cheaper if every customer would return 3 iMac's and they woud still make a profit , most people seem to forget these are mass produced computers like the ones from HP , nothing special , apart from the case and logicboard (that green board inside without any components on it )the first is is custom made the other custom made to fit inside , but everything else are just ordinary parts sourced from the cheapest source at the time in the biggest quantity (apple buils quiet a few iMac's , so Apple is able to offer the iMac to a price you can afford and still creates lots of profit , after all remember Apple Inc. is not a charity and profit has to be their first prority to be able to pay all staff and shops, btw the managers what to earn some money too

13. Pintail macrumors member

Question -

Aren't quite a few components in the iMac custom built? On other threads there has been discussions about Apple going with Toshiba for the SSD because of it's reliability; and then the fans, power supplies etc. being all specific to the iMac?

Not disagreeing with you - profit is the bottom line, however the Apple "brand" is built on the perception of quality albeit at a higher price. For certain they would tender to get the lowest prices on their components, but I would assume there is a certain criteria that must be met besides cost?

14. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Perhaps your being a little OCD about the whole thing?! :eek:

I mean I very much enjoy my apple hardware and I do want it to be perfect. But I got a new base 21" from the apple store a few days ago. I unpacked it and plugged it in and have been using it ever since. I did not notice any scratches, and dust or any yellowing, but then again I am not actively looking for it. I mean if I can't see it in hours of everyday use do I really need to go hunting for it?

Relax. Open you computer plug it in and enjoy.

15. BR485 macrumors member

BR485

Apple definitely has some design flaw/QC issues...

Let's see...

Some common problems with the iMac line that Apple has chosen to downplay or ignore:

Yellow tinge or blemishes on iMac display (an issue since at least 2008)

Dust between glass and iMac display (an issue since at least 2008)

Uneven colour/dark blemishes on iMac display (an issue since at least 2008)

Machines running too hot and contributing to some of the above problems and premature HDD/PSU/GPU failure etc. (an issue since at least 2008)

Apple Inc. really needs to acknowledge and correct these obvious design flaws, and step up its quality control process. Treating customers like idiots and refusing to take these issues seriously is arrogance at its finest. It's also not a good marketing strategy.

But does Apple really care? Consumer iToys (iOS based devices) and MBPs are Apple's cash cows and I get the feeling they're not too concerned about neglecting the Mac line. Otherwise why would they fail to correct the obvious design flaws plaguing iMacs since 2008?

Ah, for the days of Apple Computer Inc. when the brand was synonymous with well-designed, well-built products and concern about the bottom line was balanced with respect for the customer... :apple:

16. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I couldn't agree more! There seem to be a lot of people of a certain type who delight in looking for "problems" and, if found, broadcasting them to all and sundry. Some like to do so before they've even bought their machines!

What's more, bearing in mind that the PCB's in a computer are populated by hundreds of individual components which can, and do, fail on occasion. Neither Apple or anyone else can guarantee quality and/or reliability of these, regardless of how they are assembled.

17. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Did you even read the comments in this post? iMacs are not the only Apple product to have defects. Remember that whole iPhone antenna thing?

18. flipster macrumors 6502a

I do believe that Apple needs to control the quality of their products a little better; they've gotten worse with this through the years.

HOWEVER, the only people who come and post here are the ones WITH the problems. Hundred's of thousands of iMacs have been sold, and we've only seen about 1,000 posts issuing problems. It happens. It's like a 10% chance you'll find a problem.

19. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

I agree with your overall message but think your numbers are way off...

20. Pintail macrumors member

21. washburn macrumors 6502

The problem is not Apple its the Chinise manufactures fault

22. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

THANK YOU..someone actually knows what they are talking about.

23. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Apple's quality control is GREAT. For the amount of devices that they sell they really don't have that many problems.

Reading forums and thinking you are getting any sort of idea for the amount of people experiencing problems is ridiculous.

24. Pintail macrumors member

Baloney. If the manufacturer (CHINESE or otherwise) makes a sub par product it is still the company's fault for choosing and reselling it.

This applies to any industry, and I don't think it's the case with Apple for the record.

25. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Mac quality control is very high. That being said, like any other manufacturer (who has the same, if not more amounts of defects) the products are mass produced, this is why there are cheap prices on things. If you get a defective item exchange it, its super easy. Unfortunately many people on Mac rumors and other sites have not learned how that system works and think that coming on here to whine about it will somehow solve their problem.

The only reason you read about problems is because you are looking on the internet where people do nothing but complain about problems. You never see people come in and say "Omg my Mac is perfect!" My macs have always been perfect, as has everyone elses I know. You never hear about it because people are too busy using it.