Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rchawks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
If I spend $3,000 on a laptop purchase it should be free of defects. You know that's not so much to ask. Someone posted a thread about the creaking you mentioned when opening and closing that was due to poor machining at the factory. Because of the tight tolerances due and the small form factor if something isn't to print it affects other things in the device as well.
I must have OCD as you call it, because the guys I work with say if anyone wants to buy something used they should buy it from me.

Last edited:

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
If I spend $3,000 on a laptop purchase it should be free of defects. You know that's not so much to ask. Someone posted a thread about the creaking you mentioned when opening and closing that was due to poor machining at the factory. Because of the tight tolerances due and the small form factor if something isn't to print it affects other things in the device as well.
I must have OCD as you call it, because the guys I work with say if anyone wants to buy something used they should buy it from me.

I'm not going to lie, I opened the bottom case to find the root issue. It had something to do with springs that push against the chassis. I could replicate the issue by tapping down on one or two of those springs. Super creaky. Some of them were fine, some weren't but it was definitely the cause of it. Not sure if that has to do with manufacturing or the lack of lube or something. o.0 Either way, I wasn't happy with the sound it was making and the feel, since it doesn't happen in most.

Now with my new device, I can hear the springs if I listen super closely and I think thats normal. But no real creaks or flimsiness. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.