Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has quietly upgraded its Mac Pro offerings, adding the option of a 3.33 GHz quad-core processor and adding the ability to configure both the quad-core and 8-core models with 2 TB hard drives, doubling the machine's total build-to-order hard drive capacity to 8 TB.

091730-mac_pro_3.33.png

The upgraded processor carries a hefty price tag as a $1,200 option over the base quad-core 2.66 GHz model, or $800 over the upgraded 2.93 GHz processor. Pricing, however, remains well below the company's top-of-the-line 8-core models running at 2 x 2.66 GHz or 2 x 2.93 GHz.

The additional option of configuring the Mac Pro with 2 TB hard drives, an increase from 1 TB drives available previously, expands the official total hard drive capacity of the Mac Pro, which carries four hard drive bays, to 8 TB. The 2 TB hard drives are priced at $550 each.

The current generation of Mac Pros were introduced in March 2009, receiving early access to Intel's latest Nehalem processors before they had even been officially announced.

Article Link: Apple Quietly Adds 3.33 GHz Quad-Core Option to Mac Pro

Cboss

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Colorado
I guess they needed a processor to compete with the new iMac. :rolleyes:

But $1200! Hopefully the entire Mac Pro line will be updated soon.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
$550 for a 2TB HDD is just ridiculous. Especially when it is so easy to add new HDDs to a Mac Pro.

Hickman

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
The new 3.33Ghz CPU option isn't currently up in the Canadian store, but I see the 2TB drives and ram as options in there.

For the record it has never been a bargain to upgrade your RAM or hard drive from the Apple store as a BTO option. Shop around for those and you'll save a bit of cash.

D A

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
The only model which would fit the $1200 extra price tag retails for $1600 :eek:

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
The new 3.33Ghz CPU option isn't currently up in the Canadian store, but I see the 2TB drives and ram as options in there.

But for the record it has never been a bargain to upgrade your RAM or hard drive from the Apple store as a BTO option. Shop around for those and you'll save a bit of cash.

This has always been true. It makes you wonder if Apple is seeing so many drive failures under warranty that they have to jack up the prices to cover the loss/effort to deal with the HDD OEM to get a replacement.

Either way, you can get a 2TB HDD for well under $200 nowadays.

Hickman

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Sing it with me!

The holiday line up is set! The holiday line up is seeeeeet!

Guess they're trying to extend the current Mac Pro's shelf life. So no new ones for some while?

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
So now the question is... How can I upgrade my current 2.66 to this without buying a whole new computer?

chstr

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Would there be any significant noticeable difference between a 2.66 GHz and 3.33 Ghz Xeon? I'm thinking paying $1200 for 670 more Mhz isn't really worth it. i'm glad its' there as an option, though, along with 2TB drives, I'm suprised they weren't there before...

your thinking would be correct. much like your screen name you are paying for flash :p

NetScheduler

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2008
Southwest PA
I'm a Fanboy!

$550 for a 2TB HDD is just ridiculous. Especially when it is so easy to add new HDDs to a Mac Pro.

Hickman

What are you, some kind of Dell Troll?? Go buy your "clunky" and "junky" 2TB drive from some "box assembler".

Apple usually affixes an Apple sticker to whatever brand hard drives they use. They are "just gorgeous" and look "oh so delicious" inside the case. Of course, no one should ever open the case of an Apple computer because Apple doesn't cater to "tinkerers".

Apple's price may seem $300 high to you "Apple Haters", but allowing them to install their Apple stickered HDD is a very "elegant" solution, and something us "REAL" Apple fans will gladly pay.

tezro

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2007
What are you, some kind of Dell Troll?? Go buy your "clunky" and "junky" 2TB drive from some "box assembler".

Apple usually affixes an Apple sticker to whatever brand hard drives they use. They are "just gorgeous" and look "oh so delicious" inside the case. Of course, no one should ever open the case of an Apple computer because Apple doesn't cater to "tinkerers".

Apple's price may seem $300 high to you "Apple Haters", but allowing them to install their Apple stickered HDD is a very "elegant" solution, and something us "REAL" Apple fans will gladly pay.

Good thing to see in your sig you got a hackintosh, so we know you're just messing around ;-)

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
This has always been true. It makes you wonder if Apple is seeing so many drive failures under warranty that they have to jack up the prices to cover the loss/effort to deal with the HDD OEM to get a replacement.

Either way, you can get a 2TB HDD for well under $200 nowadays.

Hickman

It really is nice how the price of storage fell these past few years as technology grew. I remember my first hard drive.. 500 or 750 megs. : p

I know you are being sarcastic, but I would like to point out that the HDD in Apple's computers are no different than others.

ChristoA

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009

I had to re-read this about 3 times. Probably the funniest **** I've read in a while :D

adamwc

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2005
Unsettling implications

Perhaps sometimes a quiet upgrade is just a quiet upgrade and we shouldn't read into it. But other times, and I fear in this case, the unsettling implication is that Apple isn't going to be significantly upgrading the Mac Pro line in the next several months.

Or, if it does, the upgrade will take the form of adding machines at extremely high price points. Apple thinks it makes sense to offer a 3.33 Quad Mac Pro for $3699 as of today. What are the chances that the least expensive of the next gen Octocore machines will cost less than $500 more than that if they were to come out soon? So the new Octocore entry point becomes... $4199? If it's going to cost less, it probably won't be available earlier than March of next year (just imagine how screwed you'd feel upon buying a new $3700 Quad only to have Apple release a $3299 Octocore system that kicks its ass within two months).

All in all, this is a lame development.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I consider this bad news all the way around.
1. The new processor isn't available on the dual Mac Pro for some reason.
2. The 2tb HDD BTO option is ridiculously priced, total ripoff.
3. This update might suggest that a full blown revision of the Mac Pro lineup is further away than we had hoped.

jocknerd

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2002
Virginia
Screw the Xeon processor

The Intel Xeon's are outrageously priced. Ok, if you want the 8-core Mac Pro, you can have the Xeon, but with the quad-core, Apple could slash the price of the Mac Pro by almost $1000 if they dropped the Xeon quad-core and replaced it with the i7 processor. Its just as fast, but its not a "server" processor.

Give me a i7 based Mac Pro for around $1800 - $2000, I'll whip my credit card out now.

mobi

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2004
Penn's Woods
Still chugging along with our 2 x 2.66 Dual Core Xeon it has been rock solid since 2006! MR's has to constantly tease us with these announcements :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.