Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
The lack of Gigabit Ethernet is puzzling, but I guess you use the wireless for more-than-100Mbit bandwidth.

I'll wait to see the benchmarks on this thing working with a MBP.

I agree that the lack of Gigabit Ethernet is most curious. I'm hoping this is a typo on the specs...

I'm pretty sure you can still use the Aiport Express with this. I mean you don't really need anymore bandwith to stream music so whats the point making it N. The only thing you are missing out on is the maximum extended range, the range will still be extended slightly with any N component. So, nothing really changed. Except that the price for the Aiport Express and Extreme are the same.... better drop the price.

Well, the Airport Express is now $99 new. So, the refurbs when they come back in stock should be something like $79. I'd love to see it more like 59 or 69, but I doubt it. If it were low enough, then I'd pick up a couple more for each room of the house.

I, for one, think it's OK that the Extreme does not have airtunes on it. It's unlikely that I'd need airtunes where I have my remote drive or printer and WAN connection. That's all in my office where my PB usually sits anyway.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Confused about HD sharing.

If you connected an external USB HD would you still need a computer switched on in order for the Apple TV to access it?

Tempted but don't want a computer (Mac or PC) acting as a server on all the time, too expensive on electric bills.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
So no download to update to "N" for Core Duo Macbook Pros?

don't you need draft-N ready hardware to use it? i mean... it's not just a software issue that a patch or firmware could help?

and i think CD MBP don't have those?

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
I agree that the lack of Gigabit Ethernet is most curious. I'm hoping this is a typo on the specs...

Well, the Airport Express is now $99 new. So, the refurbs when they come back in stock should be something like $79. I'd love to see it more like 59 or 69, but I doubt it. If it were low enough, then I'd pick up a couple more for each room of the house.

I, for one, think it's OK that the Extreme does not have airtunes on it. It's unlikely that I'd need airtunes where I have my remote drive or printer and WAN connection. That's all in my office where my PB usually sits anyway.
I'm sure airtunes will still work.

But if refurb is $79, which is the edu price. That means you can not buy them used for $50 or less. Nice... I'm going to have to convert.

uNext

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2006
Airport Express will still be fine for music streaming!

I know that but i mean if they are going to release a new protocol with their
wireless routers why leave out airtunes?

Give us choices dont force what you think is good to us.

I personally rather have airtunes then appletv.

I mean the range is greater i currently have 1 AP

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
too expensive on electric bills.

are you serious? how much is your electric bills? i have 2 computers, 2 printers, 1 router, 2 speaker set, one refrigerator, one central air conditioner, and other small things on 24/7 and my bill in the SUMMER is only like 30USD/month

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
Perfect. I just ordered one. Wish it shipped before Feb, but it'll be worth it if it's Apple TV ready. All I'll need now is to order an external USB hard disk, hook it up to the airport extreme router, and I'm time-machine ready - on both my iMac and PowerBook.

Nice!

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Doesn't the AppleTV support 'standard' TV through it's Component connector?

The website makes it look like it doesn't. Wow, that makes me not even marginally interested in the AppleTV now.

What you need.
* Widescreen TV
* Mac or PC
* iTunes 7.1 or later
* Wired or wireless network
* HDMI cable or
* Component video cables and analog audio cables or optical audio cable

Apple TV works with widescreen, enhanced-definition or high-definition TVs capable of 1080i, 720p, 576p, or 480p resolutions, including popular models from these manufacturers.

Andrew Beard

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I agree with the other posters, the absence of 1000BT is puzzling, although I guess for Gigabit Ethernet you could always just use the wireless-n capability. Still though, I don't know why there woulnd;t be a wired option as well... :confused:

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
are you serious? how much is your electric bills? i have 2 computers, 2 printers, 1 router, 2 speaker set, one refrigerator, one central air conditioner, and other small things on 24/7 and my bill in the SUMMER is only like 30USD/month

My monthly expenditure is quite high enough thank you.

I think i'd rather upgrade my PC to watch 1080P QT on my 24" Dell.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
I don't understand the concerns from some about 2 things:

-AirTunes: Why would you need AirTunes on the APEXT? That is why Apple has brought out the ?tv. ?tv will take the place of AirTunes, just this way through the TV/Home Theater setup.

-Gigabit Ethernet: I can understand SOME concerns here but for what most will be using it for, I don't think it is a really serious issue. I like it because it now makes the APEXT a half way decent router.

Let's just look at the APEXT as the best thing out of today!

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
Definitely like the hard drive sharing capability, but no firewire port???

This was also my first reaction. My second reaction was "why aren't there 2 USB ports?" Seriously, if you want to take advantage of both the shared hard drive and shared printer then you have to swap the devices in and out of the sole USB sockets. I was pretty much all-in on this one until I noted that so now I'm not so sure. Call me demanding but if you're going to offer these features then you need to provide the facility to do both at the same time.

Anyone know if printers or external hard drives can be daisy chained together so that the lack of a 2nd USB port isn't too limiting?

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
I know that but i mean if they are going to release a new protocol with their
wireless routers why leave out airtunes?

Give us choices dont force what you think is good to us.

I personally rather have airtunes then appletv.

I mean the range is greater i currently have 1 AP

UMMMM Airtunes still works. Its G.... that works with n. Its not like there is something magical with n that won't make it work. Think of Apple TV as AirVideo. You can buy either or both how many want. They are going to work with either Aiport Base station new or old.

Wender

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2003
The website makes it look like it doesn't. Wow, that makes me not even marginally interested in the AppleTV now.

What you need.
* Widescreen TV
* Mac or PC
* iTunes 7.1 or later
* Wired or wireless network
* HDMI cable or
* Component video cables and analog audio cables or optical audio cable

Apple TV works with widescreen, enhanced-definition or high-definition TVs capable of 1080i, 720p, 576p, or 480p resolutions, including popular models from these manufacturers.

Andrew Beard

It has component out. There is no way for a regular TV to tell that this analogue signal isn't supposed to be shown. It will work just fine.

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
This was also my first reaction. My second reaction was "why aren't there 2 USB ports?" Seriously, if you want to take advantage of both the shared hard drive and shared printer then you have to swap the devices in and out of the sole USB sockets. I was pretty much all-in on this one until I noted that so now I'm not so sure. Call me demanding but if you're going to offer these features then you need to provide the facility to do both at the same time.

Anyone know if printers or external hard drives can be daisy chained together so that the lack of a 2nd USB port isn't too limiting?

Just hook up a USB 2.0 hub. It says right on the page.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
Perfect. I just ordered one. Wish it shipped before Feb, but it'll be worth it if it's Apple TV ready. All I'll need now is to order an external USB hard disk, hook it up to the airport extreme router, and I'm time-machine ready - on both my iMac and PowerBook.

Nice!

tilman

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006

Just use a USB hub. It mentions that on the Apple website. It appears that this device uses the same footprint as the MacMini. So you can get an USB hub that is designed to fit under the MacMini, and put it nicely underneath this new base station, too. Of course, having a second USB port would make live a lot easier.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Price drops also.

Airport Express $99 (usually this means refurbs at $79)
Older Airport Extreme $129

They might be trying to get rid of the Airport Express, for either a revision or to retire it.

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
-Gigabit Ethernet: I can understand SOME concerns here but for what most will be using it for, I don't think it is a really serious issue. I like it because it now makes the APEXT a half way decent router.

Let's just look at the APEXT as the best thing out of today!

Seeing as the APEXT is the only thing that really came out today, you could also view it as the worst...

Seriously, though, I do view the lack of gigabit ethernet as an oversight. It just seems silly for Apple, of all companies to make a devices that doesn't seemlessly integrate with the rest of their products. If I want to network two macs sitting side-by-side together and share an internet connection, I will get better performance out of a competetor's product. Doesn't that seem strange to anyone else?

Andrew Beard

maxp1

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2005
The fine print

Reading the fine print it seems like if a non-"n" device joins the network you loose the advantages of "n". YIKES!!! So hooking up your Airport Express to stream music makes this a 'g' router.

I need to upgrade my current hub but I think I"m going to wait or look for a non-apple product.

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
Reading the fine print it seems like if a non-"n" device joins the network you loose the advantages of "n". YIKES!!! So hooking up your Airport Express to stream music makes this a 'g' router.

I need to upgrade my current hub but I think I"m going to wait or look for a non-apple product.

You lose the n capablities of the g device. :rolleyes:

Which is pretty obvious, you cant utilize new technology to its fullest if one side doesn't have it.

Its the same thing as g and b guys. You can use B devices with a g router, just not to as great a speed or distance. You can use all g and b devices with n except the device wont be as fast or be able to go as far back. The router doesnt change. If you had a g laptop and a n laptop. The n would get more coverage and faster speeds, but it wouldnt get the same as g just because its present.

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005

OK, now that blows. In my house, I would want a AExp for audio streaming in some rooms and then ATV by the home theater equipment and an AExt in the office with the cable modem, printer and external drive. But, by virtue of having an G (or heaven forbid, my old iMac G3 with B) my N speed will downshift to G or B. Argh. OK, I could ditch the G3, that's not a problem, but I'm not ready to ditch my Express or my PB.

Just hook up a USB 2.0 hub. It says right on the page.

I'm glad they anticipated this. Very slick. So, you could have a couple of drives and printers online. Very nice.

And like someone else mentioned, this is perfect for Time Machine and all the machines in your house. Outstanding!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.