Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Red G5

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2004
Here's what it looks like. I'm at work hence the Dell monitors (Apple ones at home - this card is for my home Mac Pro).

5770_1.jpg

5770_2.jpg

svale

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2009
Thanks for all the replies.

Not sure why mine still hasn't shipped. I ordered it two weeks ago. ETA says Oct 1, but based on the posts here, the ETA should be taken with a grain of salt. Perhaps the Australian orders aren't shipping that soon.

adr1974

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
Mine was originally scheduled for delivery on the 24th...it's on the truck, out for delivery right now.

isophia

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2007
ordered mine yesterday, its out for delivery today.... thats what i call fast, about a month faster than i expected!!! :D

typ993

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2006
Edmonds, Washington
ordered mine yesterday, its out for delivery today.... thats what i call fast, about a month faster than i expected!!! :D

Same deal, I ordered mine yesterday, said the ship date was the 28th, then got an email last night saying it had shipped and will be delivered tomorrow. Not the most accurate shipping estimates when you place that initial order...

isophia

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2007
Well...

I thought id just share with you folk that i've just installed my 5770 in my First gen 1,1 Mac pro... it booted without a hitch (apart from me not pushing the monitor cable in properly) and running like a dream!

Happy happy days!!!

xispec

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2010
BLAH! I was almost tempted to ordering the 5770 earlier since everyone is getting theirs shipped out recently. I must be patient, I have a feeling the 5870 will be out soon. (knowing it won't be....)

Come on :apple:! Let me order a 5870!

spaz8

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
Well...

I thought id just share with you folk that i've just installed my 5770 in my First gen 1,1 Mac pro... it booted without a hitch (apart from me not pushing the monitor cable in properly) and running like a dream!

Happy happy days!!!

Cool.. any chance you're running more than one monitor? what is your firmware version? MP11.005C.B08? Are you just using the DVI connection on the card or any of the MDP's?

isophia

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2007
Not yet, just the one monitor as my DVI - MDP hasn't arrived yet so im only using the DVI connection to one screen. I'll let you know as soon as it does though and if i have any issues (im pretty optimistic though, screwed otherwise!!!) Yep im running MP11.005C.B08

spaz8

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
Not yet, just the one monitor as my DVI - MDP hasn't arrived yet so im only using the DVI connection to one screen. I'll let you know as soon as it does though and if i have any issues (im pretty optimistic though, screwed otherwise!!!) Yep im running MP11.005C.B08

Cool, thank you.

isophia

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2007
Ok so the news isn't great - its certainly not just a 'plugin and go' job - it knows the signal is there but the screen is black.

I've found the drivers for the new cards but now just need to find where the heck to put them... will keep you posted - i've got to get this to work!!

lloyd709

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
Has anyone upgraded (to the 5770) from an 8800GT and tested the improvement under bootcamp - ideally on a 1,1 mac pro but info on any machine would be good.

Yukon Joe

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
Related question (since my 5770 is sitting on a truck somewhere).

Does the Apple 5770 come with drivers for Windows/Bootcamp, or do you need to download them on your own?

isophia

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2007
Personally from what i've read i don't think sticking a 5870 in to a 1,1 Macpro is worth it - the 5770 clearly does the job.

Im having a nightmare getting two screens working - my rig is 2x 24" Dells that were connected over DVI - with the 5770 in i have connected one directly to the DVI connection, and the other using a apple DVI to MDP adapter to one of the MDP ports...

With the DVI port in use the MDP wont work, if i plug just the MDP in then the DVI won't work... its driving me a little nuts i can't help but wonder what would happen if both screens were connected to the MDP ports via apple connectors....

svale

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2009
Personally from what i've read i don't think sticking a 5870 in to a 1,1 Macpro is worth it - the 5770 clearly does the job.

Depends on what your needs are. I still think there are significant gains to be had in Windows, especially if you're a gamer.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Depends on what your needs are. I still think there are significant gains to be had in Windows, especially if you're a gamer.

It seems to be a hardware issue. There is a gain shown on the 08's, but not the 06's.

spaz8

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
Thanks for all the testing isophia, I have an almost identical setup, I have MP 1,1 and a 8800GT currently, and have to drive a dell 24", and a dell 27".. the 27" has a Display port, but not MDP, and i've heard about issues on dells site concerning its DP :(

Silly questions but have you tried, having both the 8800 and the 5770 in there, and using a DVI from each?

Have you tried both MDP's.. or silly as it sounds making sure the MDP cable is in all the way to the card ( i read about ppl not realizing the connector goes in further)..

Have you tried, reconnecting the MDP cable? I believe that is what has worked for ppl that had issues with the monitors not coming back on after sleeping.

With all the issues, ppl are having MP 2010's included.. hopefully 10.6.5 solves things.. or ATI figures it out.

Nautilus86

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2010
Europe
Does anyone know if I'm going to have problems with putting a 5770 in my 2008 MP (to replace 8800GT) and connect 1x 27" ACD to the MDP? Don't care about any second screen. And will iSight / audio work then?

Thx.

jsurpless

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2009
My 5770 came today and I just finished installing it in my Mac Pro 1,1...

Everything appears to have gone off without a hitch... one question, though...

Looking in System Profiler, under PCI Cards - I see two entries for it... both in Slot-1... the first is Type 'ATY,HooLockParent' and 'Driver Installed' is 'No... the 2nd is Type 'Display' and does have a driver installed...

I'm running 10.6.4 - am I all set? What is the meaning of the two entries?

Thanks!

-Justin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.