Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LobsterMobster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2003
I am in the market for a 12" PB. I've joined the que of people anticipating the updated version due out next week (I'm not holding my breath, mind you). I would like to have maximum RAM installed, but does it make sense to order this option from apple or get the minimum from theim and buy another brand that could be cheaper afterwards? I've installed a new HD and extra ram in my Lombard, so doing the installation is not an issue.

Appreciate the help!

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
All right, another Lombard user! :) For your RAM, I'd go for Crucial, it's a great brand and you can generally get it for a better price than the stock from Apple.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
I've checked at Crucial and the RAM there is only a $20 cheaper (for a 12" PB) to install it yourself.

Crucial RAM: Save $20, but it takes your own time to install it.
Apple build-to-order: Pay an extra $20, but it comes with the RAM already installed.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Don't buy memory form Apple, unless you have lots of money to burn. Becuase Apple is not in the business of selling accessories... they also don't have a large ammount of ram chips on top of what is needed for production, they charge you... an arm, a leg, your first born, and rights to your burrial plot. Try any 3rd party group, I bought 512MB for my Powerbook G4 from 1-800-4-MEMORY
They were good, and even replaced the chip, when it was defective... no questions asked.

TEG

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Well I just suggested Crucial since it's one of the higher quality offerings, and he said he is comfortable installing it himself. $20 cheaper to install some industry respected high quality RAM sounds like a good deal to me. I've been burnt by cheap RAM before and when it fails, it can be a pain to get it replaced and sometimes it takes time before you realize that is what failed, so if you can go with quality right away, then more power to you.

LobsterMobster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2003
Thanks for the advice.

I think I'll buy the minimum allowable ram from Apple and get 3rd party ram from somewhere else at a lower price.

tazo

macrumors 68040
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Well I just suggested Crucial since it's one of the higher quality offerings, and he said he is comfortable installing it himself. $20 cheaper to install some industry respected high quality RAM sounds like a good deal to me. I've been burnt by cheap RAM before and when it fails, it can be a pain to get it replaced and sometimes it takes time before you realize that is what failed, so if you can go with quality right away, then more power to you.
I concur with PBG5 here; Crucial ram is top notch, I use it in all my computers with memory upgrades and wholeheartedly recommend them to all.

*looks at camera* ;)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by tazo
I concur with PBG5 here; Crucial ram is top notch, I use it in all my computers with memory upgrades and wholeheartedly recommend them to all.

*looks at camera* ;)
Darn it... :rolleyes:

You're supposed to look into the camera while placing the product square to the camera.

How are you ever supposed to keep your part on "The Truman Show" if you don't learn proper product placement.

Keep this up and you'll be one of Truman's dead friends.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
i also bought from 18004memory for my iBook and the ram worked perfectly....the new machine are a bit harder to open and mess with than some of the older ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.