Apple ram vs. 3rd party

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Everythingisnt, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

I'm not sure if this has been asked before.. (excuse me if it has) but is there ANY major difference between apple RAM and third party? (Besides the massive difference in price).

Someone told me that the heatsinks on apple ram give it a longer lifespan as well as better performance. Not exactly sure if this is true, though.

Any thoughts would be appreciated =)

2. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

there's plenty of good third pary ram that works great for way cheaper. i got mine from owc.

either do a search or look at some of the threads further down. this has been discussed a lot.:D

3. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

I don't see there's any difference and if the difference can be justified by Apple's pricing. I'm using 3rd party RAM from OWC on my iMac for a few years and no problems. Most RAM these days have lifetime warrantee anyway.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

apple does not make RAMs, and there is no data (that I know) says apple store's RAM is better.

5. big dainjerus macrumors regular

Can anyone figure out where apple is getting their RAM from? Is it possible for a tech savy macster here to look at the apple ram that comes with the new mac pro and tell if it is of better quality than 3rd party RAM? If apple gets it from somewhere, isn't it essentially 3rd party RAM anyway?

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Yes, they don't make their own RAM, therefore they get it from somewhere too. This is only about the millionth thread on this topic.

7. big dainjerus macrumors regular

Ok, the millionth thread but no one has looked to see if they can find where the RAM is coming from. People are looking into their new mac pros and reporting what kind and brand of HDs are shipping with them, I was wondering if it was possible for someone to shed some light on what RAM is coming with, and then we would be able to tell if the whole heatsink shtick from apple is a real threat, or not. If the heatsinks are unique to the RAM that comes shipped from apple, then it may be possible that they increase the lifespan and performance of the RAM. However, if it is just a generic 3rd party RAM then we know its ********, and can save a lot of money in the meantime.