Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Angel Ortiz

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2020
Google, Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo all do the same thing, so why is everyone just complaining about Apple?
This is absolutely correct. However, these other companies, excluding nintendo, when operating a mobile os allowed the consumer, us, to have the option to download the software via another source, third party, without limitations. All we had to do was accept the terms and conditions of letting a third party app into our devices, which is a basically saying if your phone gets Compromised by malware or spam or even a virus that it is solely the fault of the owner of the device. Apple doesn’t even allow us to do this. At least if I owned a android device and they removed the app from their App Store we had another option to obtain such software from a another client. That is my problem with Apple they may have a option on there settings but they always end up blocking third party applications from accessing an apple device.

Shadows_lord

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2019
This whole argument is pretty redundant as Epic aren’t trying to fight this case on Apple’s cut being too high.

They want their own store completely. They want to cut Apple out of their business whilst still using their platform.
It's not their platform. It's your phone which have paid a ridiculous amount of money for it. The people defending Apple here are those who want government and corporations to nanny and daddy them for everything and they are totally incapable of installing an App on their phone without an App store.
I switched to Android just because of this and I use some apps everyday that iPhone users can't even dream of.

Always side with the rebels.

• Disagree
Reactions: TiggrToo

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It's not their platform. It's your phone which have paid a ridiculous amount of money for it. The people defending Apple here are those who want government and corporations to nanny and daddy them for everything and they are totally incapable of installing an App on their phone without an App store.
I switched to Android just because of this and I use some apps everyday that iPhone users can't even dream of.

Isn't it great the government didn't support a monopoly of vendors for the smartphone market and gave you the ability to use a phone of your choice. It would also be great if the government kept out of companies' business on this level as well and let the market decide how things go.

Don't side with the rebels, don't side with anybody.

Riffz60

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2016

Its not Apples platform?

Who designed then hardware?

Who created the operating system?

Who has spent over a decade marketing this hardware and software to build a base of 2 billion sold devices?

Who has created the App Store platform that Epic want to distribute their Fortnite app on - with or without their own payment method?

It is all Apples.

I’m going to guess you’re one of the people who are upset they can’t play Mario Kart and Halo on their PlayStation 4 because of these evil corporations not allowing you to install any old software on it.

Reactions: dafrosty1

Shadows_lord

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2019
Its not Apples platform?

Who designed then hardware?

Who created the operating system?

Who has spent over a decade marketing this hardware and software to build a base of 2 billion sold devices?

Who has created the App Store platform that Epic want to distribute their Fortnite app on - with or without their own payment method?

It is all Apples.

I’m going to guess you’re one of the people who are upset they can’t play Mario Kart and Halo on their PlayStation 4 because of these evil corporations not allowing you to install any old software on it.
Who paid +1k to own that hardware? I did. This isn't a charity. I do whatever the heck I want to do with my device. Apple can offer an App store, but should not be enforced into using it.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Who paid +1k to own that hardware? I did. This isn't a charity. I do whatever the heck I want to do with my device. Apple can offer an App store, but should not be enforced into using it.
You can do what you want with the hardware. You can throw it against the wall, load android if you have the tech skill, etc. However, apples software is licensed and while you do not have to agree to use apples' software, if you do you are bound by certain things. However, feel free to jailbreak to do what you want with your hardware. As far as IOS, if you want to use it, you are bound by the EULA and other T&C.

Reactions: TiggrToo

deevey

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2004

Sure you can, you can use the device as a doorstop. There's nothing stopping you attempting to install whatever you want on it. You could start compiling apps for it manually for example or Jail break it.

But you want Apple to make that easy for you.

iOS is not a multiplatform OS like Android, Linux or Windows. It's designed to work with a small number of specific devices and work extremely well.

The second you start opening up the OS you are bound to get similar levels of discontent as you do with Android Apps e.g. sluggish functionality, broken apps etc which subsequently will lead to the customer thinking that all Apple devices are crap thus irreparably damaging their reputation (like Windows for many years).

And then there's the developers, who will not necessarily gain from this, but completely lose out on revenue altogether due to apps being side loaded from dodgy sources.

You want an example of this ? Just go to Piratebay and type in "Android Apps" and you'll see repositories released every month of Paid Applications.

Shadows_lord

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2019
You can do what you want with the hardware. You can throw it against the wall, load android if you have the tech skill, etc. However, apples software is licensed and while you do not have to agree to use apples' software, if you do you are bound by certain things. However, feel free to jailbreak to do what you want with your hardware. As far as IOS, if you want to use it, you are bound by the EULA and other T&C.

That's why they have lost me as an iPhone customer. Definitely forever (still own a Mac, until it is open as it is). They think they know better than me what I should do with the hardware I own. After switching to Android, I was able to do things with my phone (controlling clusters, networks, etc), truly as a portable computing device, that iPhone users can't even imagine in their wildest dreams.

If you need a phone to post on Pinterest, then fine stick with your iPhone.

Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That's why they have lost me as an iPhone customer. Definitely forever (still own a Mac, until it is open as it is). They think they know better than me what I should do with the hardware I own. After switching to Android, I was able to do things with my phone (controlling clusters, networks, etc), truly as a portable computing device, that iPhone users can't even imagine in their wildest dreams.

Perfect, that you got a phone that suits you and your narrow use cases, as cited above. Competition and all that.

At any rate there is always this: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/android-phones-cant-compete-with-these-7-iphone-features/ and for sure there is the other side as well.

edit: However this has little to do with the thread topic, except that fortnight is was multi-platform.

DieselFiend1989

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2019

Errr bye.

-From my pinterest phone.

Black Belt

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
California
What’s an Epic
1599024614295.png

Reactions: DieselFiend1989

deevey

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2004
After switching to Android, I was able to do things with my phone (controlling clusters, networks, etc), truly as a portable computing device, that iPhone users can't even imagine in their wildest dreams.

So switching to Android was easy, you got the functionally you wanted for your 1/1000 use case scenario, And Apple is not a Monopoly - got it :)

Shadows_lord

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2019
So switching to Android was easy, you got the functionally you wanted for your 1/1000 use case scenario, And Apple is not a Monopoly - got it :)
Had to wait a few years after jailbreaking became almost obsolete. Not everyone can afford changing their phone every year.

Shadows_lord

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2019
Perfect, that you got a phone that suits you and your narrow use cases, as cited above. Competition and all that.

At any rate there is always this: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/android-phones-cant-compete-with-these-7-iphone-features/ and for sure there is the other side as well.

edit: However this has little to do with the thread topic, except that fortnight is was multi-platform.
"iMessage gives you that blue bubble feeling"

Hm...
Anyways, I hope Apple was more open with their iPhones as they are on their Macs, at least for now.

deevey

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2004

Buyers remorse ? You knew exactly what you we buying before you dropped 1000 bucks.

Yes you can do whatever the heck you want with it - You want to jailbreak it to make it run something the manufacturer did not sign off on, go right ahead.

Had to wait a few years after jailbreaking became almost obsolete. Not everyone can afford changing their phone every year.

Those people should do some more research on what a device is designed to do. I do, for every purchase.

Again, I have no doubt you knew the limitations and if you weren't, shame on you.

Shadows_lord

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2019
Again, I have no doubt you knew the limitations and if you weren't, shame on you.

Shame on yourself for doing exactly what you're told to do with your devices. Reminds me of a term that is often used to bash Apple fan boys...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.