Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is set to roll out a new system that allows retail store staff to wirelessly update the software on iPhones prior to sale, without having to take them out of their packaging.

Apple-Store-Vancouver-Canada.jpg

Writing in the latest edition of his Power On newsletter, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said the new proprietary system, called "Presto," relies on MagSafe and other wireless technologies, and "looks a bit like a metal cubby for shoes." It will begin rolling out widely across the U.S. in April, with Apple's intention to have the technology in all U.S. retail stores by early summer, he added.

Gurman first reported on the wireless system in October, describing it as a "proprietary pad-like device" on which retail store staff can place a sealed ‌iPhone‌ box. The system wirelessly turns on the iPhone inside, updates its software to the latest version available, and then powers it off.

Apple developed "Presto" as a way to avoid selling iPhones in retail stores with outdated software. For example, the iPhone 15 series shipped with iOS 17, but Apple subsequently released iOS 17.0.1 before the devices launched. The point update was required to fix an issue that prevented the transfer of data directly from another iPhone during the initial setup process.

That meant new iPhone 15 owners had to update the devices themselves as part of the setup process, or manually via the Settings app under General → Software Update if they opted to set up the device as new and transfer data later. Following the rollout of "Presto," such a scenario will be avoidable, making the setup process more straightforward for end users.

Article Link: Apple Readying In-Box iPhone Software Update System for Retail Stores

Last edited:

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Wonder if this uses a combination of NFC technology and the connection used for wireless charging. Perhaps the phone would have to be powered on by a magnetic source, since it can't always be on inside of the package...

The fact that Apple is allowing iPhones to be powered on from a near-field source and flash-updated is a little concerning from a security point of view.

Marbles1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2011
So they can turn a phone on from a distance. While a great idea for updates, I definitely wonder what dangers this ability opens up.
One I can think of is the temptation to make updates even more 'just in time' than they are now: i.e. ship products that have known bugs just to get the logistics rolling and the physical devices where they need to be and then have the stores update the software manually (and make miss a few devices).

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Gurman first reported on the wireless system in October, describing it as a "proprietary pad-like device" on which retail store staff can place a sealed ‌iPhone‌ box. The system wirelessly turns on the iPhone inside, updates its software to the latest version available, and then powers it off.
So they can turn a phone on from a distance. While a great idea for updates, I definitely wonder what dangers this ability opens up.
Having to place an iPhone on a pad-like device to turn it on and update it isn't the same as turning it on and updating it "from a distance"

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
One I can think of is the temptation to make updates even more 'just in time' than they are now: i.e. ship products that have known bugs just to get the logistics rolling and the physical devices where they need to be and then have the stores update the software manually (and make miss a few devices).
Imagine associates updating iPhones only for Apple to later pull the iOS update because of a bug(s) they didn't catch. Oops.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
The way things are going and quality of updates, they will update all the iPhone 16 to a latest update which will brick them all and they’ll have to open all the boxes and DFU them just to get them to work again and rebox them. o_O

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
The way things are going and quality of updates, they will update all the iPhone 16 to a latest update which will brick them all and they’ll have to open all the boxes and DFU them just to get them to work again and rebox them. o_O
Know what? Even though there’s the danger of being more lax when shipping the phones as “the OS can be fixed later anyways”… they will be at the sharp end of the stick where they will have to eat their own dog food: the next careless untested software update has the potential to make mess on all iPhones on all stores worldwide.
I would expect them to be extra careful instead of being the end user the one beta testing and losing iCloud content, music playlists, features that worked suddenly broken, etc.

On another flip side, at least there’s the potential for less bugs due to less management/logistics rushed pressure on the devs that won’t have to finish weeks or months in advance.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
Is your iPhone really yours?

So funny you say that. I remember when jailbreaking was a thing. I always did it because I loved the features it brought and when people would see it they’d always ask how I did it. When I explained it to them many would say “I don’t think you’re allowed to do that.” I’d always respond with “Wtf are you talking about? It’s my phone and I can do whatever I want with it. Apple doesn’t have to approve it or support it but it’s mine and they cannot tell me what I can and cannot do with it.”

It really is amazing the control Apple has over people who purchase their products.

tonmischa

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2007
This sounds like a security nightmare. Being able to remotely power on a device and load firmware on it maybe safe for now until the bootloader is compromised or Apple's signing keys get leaked. But once that is done, this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen
But why?
The phone gets powered on by getting put on a charger. This has always been that way.
The phone then enters the Setup screen ("Hello. Welcome!") and connects via WiFi to Apple's Update Server and loads an Update, which will be verified through the Apple Server. This has also always been that way.

The only difference is, that you (the user) do not have to press "Continue" during the Setup process.

Tres

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
I have no evidence of this, but I'd suggest that the device itself doesn't transfer the firmware.
It's more likely that it triggers the iPhones to boot in a special mode and connect to the in-store wi-fi to update (just like a typical update). This would make more sense from a simplicity and a security perspective, too.

Edit: Even if it DID transfer the software update, the software would still need to be signed to be installed, so it's probably not worth panicking over.

Last edited:

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
I have no evidence of this, but I'd suggest that the device itself doesn't transfer the firmware.
It's more likely that it triggers the iPhones to boot in a special mode and connect to the in-store wi-fi to update (just like a typical update). This would make more sense from a simplicity and a security perspective, too.
The ability to request that a device load new firmware when powered on but not set up could be convenient for Apple staff, but that implies that a special "mode" is available, in which firmware can be loaded, reloaded and transferred "over the air" without actually setting up the device (i.e., associating it with an Apple ID and making the initial settings on boot). In a worst-case scenario, an attacker could gain access to this mode, load the device via Wi-Fi with compromised firmware and the customer would not even know the difference.

Hopefully Apple has already thought of these things, as I suspect they have. Just saying that the more "special modes" of access to the firmware that you open up, the greater the likelihood that the device can be compromised, even if theoretical at present.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.