Apple really needs to add an option to disable screen shots.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ostrykolesz, Oct 10, 2015.

1. ostrykolesz macrumors member

I have to delete a couple Watch screen shots from my phone every day. Flexing your wrist and pressing the two buttons simultaneously is just too easy. It is now annoying me. Any one else having this problem?

2. friedmud macrumors 65816

Completely agree. I was just thinking the same thing the other day.

I have my AppleTV set to show my iCloud photos... and when it comes on about half of them are Apple Watch screenshots!

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

4. ostrykolesz thread starter macrumors member

Well it happens when your arm is hanging down and the watch slides down to the bottom of your wrist, like for example you are getting up from a chair.

5. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

You must be flexing the hell out of your wrists... I don't have this problem, even when doing pushups during PT. Where I do run into irritation is when wiping the Watch down every night (SBSS and SS Hermés versions, so fingerprint/smudge magnets); I always end up with 2-3 accidental screenshots.

6. ostrykolesz thread starter macrumors member

Well I can only flex my wrist to about 90 degrees... I think that is normal...

7. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

You're flexing it enough to simultaneously press the digital crown and Friends button. That's... a lot. Do you wear your watch very loose, so it falls down near your hand easily?

When I read the thread title, I was in complete agreement - just shocked that THAT'S how yours happens.

8. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

I have to agree with this one but only a few exercises. I really crank my wrists on dips and narrow bench presses and I get an occasional picture taken. Not enough to be concerned. Move your watch a quarter inch further up the arm. Will get better heart rate readings as well. :)

9. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Your watch is too loose if it's shifting down so low onto your wrist to even cause this.

10. ostrykolesz thread starter macrumors member

No it's not loose...

11. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

If it's falling down below your wrist bone, it's probably too loose.

That being said, there's a lot to be said about wearing the crown on the left side of the watch. I think it's functionally better in just about every way, IMO.

12. Bobajobbob macrumors regular

It happens every time you change the strap too. I agree its annoying.

13. ostrykolesz thread starter macrumors member

If I slide down another notch the watch then feels like it is on too tight. It actually feels perfect as it is now. The screen shot problem is not that easy to reproduce, but a couple times during the day I will flex my wrist in such a way where I will later be greeted with annoying screen shots in my iPhone photo album.

14. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I personally always error on the side of slightly too tight, if it's gonna fall down below the wrist bone. Either way, just flip the watch and put the crown on the left. It's great that way.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I have the link bracelet and I have to wear it loose enough such that it occasionally spills over my wrist bone (otherwise it gets uncomfortably tight when my wrist expands). However, it's still tight enough that it doesn't get locked during normal routines and I never run into the problem of inadvertently triggering screenshots.

16. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Funny that this thread was almost next to the one about putting the crown on the opposite side, away from the hand. ;)

After I read the opening post, I thought, "Hmm, I don't get accidental screenshots. Ah, I know why…"

17. Kelvintiger macrumors newbie

Kelvintiger

I'm actually have the opposite problem! My watch REFUSES to take a screenshot. Everything I pressed both of the button, it either 1) Goes to the home screen or 2) Goes to the contacts

I looked it up and the actual command for screenshots is "Holding down the contacts button and then press the crown" according to Apple. Still didn't work for me, it would just give me the Power Off Menu...

TL;DR: My watch refuse to let me take screenshots

18. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Holding down the power button (contacts button) and then pressing the crown is the correct way. That's how it's done on the iPhone the easiest. (Hold the Power button then press Home button.)

If you're getting the power off screen, then you are waiting too long to press the crown. Press+hold power and then press crown. You don't need to hold power long before pressing the crown.

19. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I sometimes get accidental screen shots when I'm swapping bands, because I'm wrestling with the thing a bit. :)

20. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

...you're not having this issue - like most of us - because your Watch fits and doesn't slide down to your actual hand. That's the only way this can happen.

21. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

That, and I set it crown to the left…

22. friedmud macrumors 65816

"You're wearing it wrong" :rolleyes:

Seriously guys? Why do you think there is a "right" way to wear a watch. Does it say in the instruction manual? This is one of the reasons why it's hard to be part of the Apple community sometimes...

During the summer I wore mine rather tight so it wouldn't move. During workouts I always tighten it up and move it up my arm a bit to keep it out of the way.

However, now that it's cooler outside I'm wearing my Watch VERY loose and all the way down on my hand... So that it's outside my jacket and sleeve of my long sleeve shirt.

Yep, that position leads to more inadvertent screenshots... but it's also a lot more useful. I use the Watch while I'm walking in the city all day and if I had to fish it out from under my sleeve every time I got a text... that would really suck.

I also don't want to flip the crown to the other side. I actually think that would make this issue worse because the crown side would be crammed up against my jacket/coat sleeve. It would also be annoying to operate the crown with it jammed up against the shirt/jacket sleeve.

That said, it would still be useful to be able to turn it off. As it is, I'll just delete them after a while. Not a huge pain but still annoying.

23. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

This has been debated on watch forums forever, but, yes, I do think there's a "right way" to wear a watch. If you want to "sag" your jeans and go against convention, that's fine, but there obviously may be issues that arise from it.

As far as which side of the watch the crown belongs on, some of us have found that the left side crown works better, but YMMV.

24. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

Have a seat... I was joking. Well, aside from the watch being too loose if bending his wrist is simultaneously pressing both the crown and Friends button. That's... physics. But I agreed about wishing there was the option. No one's angry or attacking anyone else.

Christ... THIS is why it's hard to be a part of this community sometimes. Too sensitive, or quick to unnecessarily jump to someone's defense.

25. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

...and while we're at it: toilet paper rolls go OVER, not UNDER.

Fight me.