Apple really needs to fix the BSOD on the 5s

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by ajiuo, Oct 7, 2013.

1. ajiuo macrumors 65816

I'm so sick of loosing data over the ios7 5s bug that reboots the phone when using documents in the cloud based apps such as numbers... If the phone goes to sleep while a document over a certain size is open... BAM... BSOD and a reboot.. Hitting the home button often times has the same results....

Come on apple this is BS.. Already one update and it didn't fix the problem... 7.0.3 better fix this.

Sorry that's my rant for the day :)

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its hard to believe you since you're really vague. You said "cloud based apps such as numbers" which means you are using multiple cloud based apps which are all doing this. So which are all the specific apps you are using, since its a bunch of them more people should be able to confirm the bug. What are you specifically doing to get this to happen? I doubt the screen is really blue.

3. gardiboy macrumors 6502a

Its just a term...

This sudden reboot happens when u multitasking with lots of apps. It will jusr crash and reboot.

Try double clicking the home button and try switching between apps many times.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its a bad term if that's not what it does.

I've done that many times and my phone is fine. Until the OP comes back with some real specifics its not happening.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I've done this and cannot repeat it. I am using a 4S though.

6. dontpannic macrumors 6502

dontpannic

There are videos on YouTube demonstrating the bug.

And yes, the screen does go blue.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Link please.

8. MisterPunchy macrumors regular

:rolleyes: It's easy. Let me help you. Just search "5S BSOD" in YouTube, dude. There's lots. Like this one:

http://youtu.be/DNw457joq5I

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Now was that so hard? Maybe the OP should have posted just one link.

10. dontpannic macrumors 6502

dontpannic

Why are you being so defensive? Why did I have to do the research for you?

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I'm not defensive, and you shouldn't have had to do the research the OP should have posted a link.

12. ajiuo, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013

ajiuo thread starter macrumors 65816

It happens with Numbers, Pages, Keynotes, PDF reader.

In numbers, for example. If you have a document opened and exit the app, enter multitasking, or the phone goes to sleep.. The BSOD pops up and the phone reboots... However if you close the document before closing the app.. No crash.

Its more consistent with larger documents.. It doesn't seem to happen with new documents that are small in size. The issue seems limited to the 5s from my own experience. I never experienced this on a 5 or ipad mini running ios7.

Also.. My original 5s had a warped screen and had to be returned.. Problem still occurs on new 5s... Not a one phone fluke.

13. weckart macrumors 68040

Happened on my new 5s today when trying to close Numbers for the first time. This was before I installed 7.02.

I was disappointed to see the lack of memory dump information on the bluescreen, which only stayed up for an instant. Hopefully, Apple will fix this in a future update so that we can have the full BSOD experience.

14. ajiuo thread starter macrumors 65816

Im glad to see some news sites finally reporting this.. Hopefully it motivates apple to get on the ball and fix this.

15. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Mmm, things are about to get interesting around here. This isn't as bad as antenna-gate, but such a serious bug in the system will cause much wailing and gnashing of teeth on this forum. The complainers and detractors vs the denyers and apologists.

Should be some interesting posts.

16. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Tried to replicate this on my 5s. Opened both numbers and pages, enabled speak text switched apps multiple times and opened a dozen different cloud docs (I use icloud docs in numbers for ad hoc invoices). Gave up after almost 45 mins. Tried the same on my iPad 3 & 4.. Still can't get it to crash.

Do these guys have any other 3rd party stuff running? We identified an issue with the Facebook app if you have it open with background updating enabled in iOS settings it blocked email from coming in and ran the battery down quickly on a clients iphone 5.

17. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Not an issue for me on my 5s. I've never seen this BSOD.

18. joejoejoe, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013

joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Sometimes I feel like these forums are full of immature, angry, entitled teenagers.

This is a well known and reported issue. If you don't believe the OP, keep your mouth **** and let people familiar with the topic discuss. Nothing is worse than trying to get some helpful insight out of a thread, only to be met with post after post after post of angry unhelpful people asking for a link.

Back to topic: this is a horribly annoying issue. Coupled with the fingerprint workaround, messed up motion/level sensors, iMessage bug, alarm clock bug, etc, this has not been apple's best day.

It's one thing if there are little bugs that need tweaking. It's a huge ordeal if there are bugs that get in the way of safety, security, and data maintenance.

19. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I saw this reported on another site and the speculation is that it is localized to the 5s due to the new 64 bit hardware and the inability to fully test before releasing to market since the hardware didn't exist to fully test on and the 5c is essentially the same hardware as the 5 so that is why it is more apparent In the 5s. The other devices aren't as plagues by it as the Dev/ testing group were able to find these issues while fully testing their apps for compatibility. Since no one had the new hardware the testing was limited by this fact.

I hope it gets sorted out for the 5s users soon as I don't have the newer hardware nor experience these issues because of that and hope they can share in mine and others good experiences.

20. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

Same for me. Tried to replicate it too and my 5S will not crash. Tried all iwork apps and they all worked just fine. Tried some dropbox files as well and they all worked great.

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

How dare someone unfamiliar with an issue ask for a link or better description so they can get a better idea of what might affect them.

22. Solitaryan macrumors newbie

I installed Pages with my 5s set up as new phone to see if any of my other apps are conflicting with the iwork apps or causing the bsod crash. applecare rep advised. It still crashed.

23. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

I can crash my GF's iP5 by enabling Air Drop.