Apple Really needs to get Rid of "Slide to Unlock"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ejrizo, Oct 12, 2007.

1. ejrizo macrumors 6502

ejrizo

it is such a waste the majority of times... there should be an option if you want it or not... i just never accidently hit any of the acctuall buttons on my phone... you should just be able to hit the sleep/wake button or home button and it should take you straight to the home screen...

slide to answer is still a good feature but i guess you can get that changed to press home button to answer as well...

now the "slide to power off" or whatever is the best one that i think is needed... a confirmation for the shut down...

anyway just a little rant and an issue that i hope apple addresses.

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I totally agree...

though I've had my phone just about 24 hours, I've become overwhelmed with the process of "unlocking" everytime I respond to my phone by making or receiving a call or sending or receiving a text msg. Maybe we'll see something in the UPDATES in the very near future!:cool:

3. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

I dont think they need to get rid of it, I just think they need to have an option to turn it on or off.

4. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Do you really have to unlock every time you answer or initiate a call???

5. ejrizo thread starter macrumors 6502

ejrizo

well yeah i do agree with that (i did refer to that on my original post)... but it will eliminate one step from the majority of things... helps you get to your applications faster...

dont get me wrong the first "Slide to Unlock" was amazing :D lol blew my mind at how it responded.... but now it just gets in the way... its more of a super cool feature to show off to people... but not very functional....

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

sounds good to me

7. WarMace macrumors member

When am incoming call comes in, there is a slide to answer switch similar to the slide to unlock switch. Instead of just hitting a button to answer, you have to slide the button. For me this is very useful so I don't accidentally answer the call while pulling the phone from my pocket.

8. FatSweatyBlldog macrumors regular

Squeeze the mic to answer your phone

I'm not sure why this isn't common knowledge, yet, but you can answer your iPhone w/o having to touch the phone itself. The mic on the headset has button capabilities. If your iPhone is ringing, press the mic once and it will pick up. You can hang-up by pressing the mic again.

When in iPod mode, pressing the mic once will pause the music. Pressing it again will start the music again. Double-pressing quickly will fast forward to the next song (this one is tricky, imo).

Personally, I like the slide to unlock feature. That said, no reason why there shouldn't be the option to turn that feature off.

When I learned off the "control" features of the mic I was even more impressed with the iPhone. Tell your ifriends!

9. aonflux macrumors member

I think slide to unlock/answer is a great idea. This way the phone doesn't come on or be answered accidently while in your pocket or handbag. I think everything on the iPhone has been so well thought of and designed, I can't understand why people are never satisfied.

10. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

11. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

Sometimes it gets to me because it seems to sensitive or not enough and I have to slide my finger over it a couple of times. I do like how it help / keeps you from answering a call by mistake. I have sent many a call on my pocket pc to voicemail by pressing the wrong button as I take it out of the holder.

How about a feature that detects using the two sensors that you hold it up to your ear and it answers.

12. SalsaShark macrumors member

No, that's just how long before it turns itself off. You still have to unlock it when it turns back on.

13. ejrizo thread starter macrumors 6502

ejrizo

thats not the point... i want it to go to the black/sleep screen by itself and i want to be able to wake it without having to go to the slide to unlock screen

all your option does is keep the screen on... if i manually lock it by hitting the sleep/wake button it just goes back to slide to unlock... which is the whole reason im trying to avoid this...

i want to from a sleeping state to be able to hit the home or sleep wake button and it takes me straight to the springboard.... not to a slide to unlock page then a springboard

14. bdj21ya macrumors 6502a

bdj21ya

So this is a big issue for me. There really is no reason not to allow unlocking with a double press home button, or maybe even a single press. For most people, that button doesn't get pressed unless they press it on purpose.

It ought to at least be an option. Fortunately, it's easy enough to unlock with one hand thanks to my evolved thumbs. Before the launch of the iPhone, I was worried that it would take two hands! (since that's the way apple reps always showed it off).

Maybe what happened is this: Steve said to the engineers, "Make it hard to unlock" in reference to the AT&T exclusivity. They misunderstood and thought he meant to create a needlessly difficult wake process. :)

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, but that's only because...

I'll have about 15-20 minutes between calls, and even longer while I'm in class or giving a presentation. :cool:

16. bdj21ya macrumors 6502a

bdj21ya

I think it's because we realize how easy it would be to make it better. There was no reason to overlook this. Unlocking the phone is THE most commonly used feature of the iPhone, it ought to have been made quicker. When in my pocket, the iPhone faces my leg, and the home button does not get pressed.

Those who own an iphone understand--it takes a fair amount of pressure to depress the home button. I'd hope that sort of pressure isn't being applied to my iPhone randomly and all over.

17. dangleheart macrumors 6502

:D Good one.

18. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I agree, i actually like it. I think we dont realize how often we accidently turn it on. I know i constantly am unlocking it, which could turn out bad if there was no slide to unlock. That might jus be me though.

19. philhyde macrumors member

I actually like it, but agree that it should be configurable.

20. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I've grown so accustomed to it, it's just second nature when I pull out my phone really. Doesn't bug me much.

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Right, just like regular phones.

I'm convinced that the slide-to-unlock was done back when they had lab units with regular resistive touchscreens, which are easy to hit with anything. Later, when they changed to capacitive, which nothing in your purse or pocket would trigger, they kept it anyway because "it looks cool". Which pretty much describes a lot of the phone.

22. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

While we're redesigning the iPhone why not just get rid of the touch interface and put a real keyboard in, and I'd like it to be a flip phone too. The slide to answer/unlock is the iPhone.

23. oxeneers macrumors member

24. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Oh, I dunno. That's like saying a blonde baby isn't as pretty as a brunette. They're both babies. :)

The slide is part of the current iPhone, sure.

But the design could've gone many different directions. Easily. So much depends on serendipity.

For example, it was only towards the end that an engineer happened to show Jobs a sample of flick-scrolling, for example. As it happens, he thought it was cool. It could easily have been left out, as could all the special effects that eat the battery.

And notice that now the Home button is getting overloaded. A later model could have external iPod controls. Will they make it any less an iPhone? No, I submit it's the general idea that counts.

25. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

I find it hard to disagree with you, kdarling, because you are very convincing in your arguments, but there are too many people trying to redesign the iPhone.
    If all the ideas were put together we'd have a Tower of Babel iPhone or worse.
    Some posters make some good suggestions, others are "outraged" by Apple's lack of ability to make there vision of what an iPhone is or should be.