Apple really needs to make 3 sizes of the X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbates123, Nov 5, 2017.

1. bbates123 macrumors 6502

I think the size of the X is fine for most people but obviously some people would prefer a larger screen and form factor and others would prefer smaller (myself included). I would love it if they would make a phone with the same screen dimensions as the 8 but without bezels. Get rid of the SE, the 6S, the 7, and the 8. We already know they're not moving forward with Touch ID in the future so why not streamline the product line into 3 phones that share the same general functionality and look in 3 different form factors? You could make the smaller phone more budget friendly by say, only using one camera in the back and/or using an LCD screen.

2. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

I agree. What would make everyone happy is to make a 4.7 inch for those that want that tiny screen. An X which is the current size as of now. And a phablet phone for those wanting to go big. This way everyone is satisfied, no one is complaining. But I guess that makes too much sense. lol

3. PanAm-L1011 macrumors 6502

I don’t agree. If you have too many models all phases of production become more costly. That gets passed on to buyers, and there’s too much risk of having excess stock for one or more models. They hit the nail on the head with the size IMO.

4. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

The X Plus is coming next year. I can’t wait. Although the X is perfect. I’d love to have a Plus form factor edge to edge.

5. Absrnd macrumors 6502a

Absrnd

It's more probable they will make the 8 a budget model, and have 2 iPhone X sizes.

6. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

Not sure if 3 sizes for the X would be necessary, since the X currently fits a nice in between the 8 and 8 plus.

7. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

150% agree.

I like my X, but take my money if you make an SE all display phone.

Pretty sure this is happening in the next two years. I’m hoping they’re both released next year.

[​IMG]

8. Ion-X macrumors member

Ion-X

The only two phones they need are an X and an X Plus. The X screen is already feeling so small compared to the 7 Plus I had before :(

9. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

there were rumors a while back about the X initially being offered in two sizes.. the one we have now and a smaller one..
    then a third larger one coming next year.
    something like that.

i'll try to find a link.

----------------------------
    [edit]

http://www.theinvestor.co.kr/view.php?ud=20170925000896

Citing local parts makers, the report said Apple had originally given panel orders to Samsung Display, its sole OLED supplier, under a plan to launch three OLED iPhones next year -- 5.28-, 5.85-, and 6.46-inch models. But the report said the development work for the 5.28-inch model has recently been suspended possibly due to the low marketability of the smaller version.

10. Cashmonee macrumors 65816

Cashmonee

While I suspect a X Plus is coming, I think there is a real usability question that I am sure Apple has already answered. Think about an 8 Plus that was all screen. That would be pretty tough for most peoples hands and would be a 100% two-handed device. I feel it's a similar situation for a smaller version. If you had what amounted to an iPhone 4 sized body that was all screen, I think it would be too small to navigate without accidentally having parts of your hand covering the screen.

I am not saying they won't or can't, I just think we all forget sometimes that it is not as simple as "make it this size."
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2017 ---
    Apple makes several versions of each iteration. I would not read into that report anymore than trying things out.

11. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

iPhone XS Plus with Apple Pen and ProMotion please

12. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I cant see Apple doing a smaller X Series.

The only reason we have a 4” SE is because Apple already had that form factor in their inventory.

That’s a whole new engineering project to create a smaller X, which Apple isn’t likely to do for an entry product. Plus the iPhone X aspect ratio would probably be miserable on a really small display. There’s already a slew of compromises at 5.8”. Everything would be tiny on 4.7”.

13. gpoop macrumors regular

I agree

14. hawon macrumors member

X with SE size will be my choice if they don’t compromise in specs.

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Unfortunately I don't see Apple doing this. Mainly because I think Apple is focusing on larger devices and the iPhone SE was really intended to be an entry-level iPhone with an entry-level price point. I don't ever see the SE being upgraded to the standard the iPhone X is in terms of hardware.

16. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502a

staggerlee41

This is what I wonder about also and share your thoughts on the challenges of getting the size right. Getting the resolution/aspect ratio right and keeping phones within size range to appeal to the masses is not straight forward, at least not from my perspective. I know that many here have indicated they'd love an X Plus model and I might be inclined to want one at some point too, but at least in my case, I would not want any larger form factor than the current Plus sizes. Now that all latest iPhone models are out, we get a year to read the tidbits of info that filter in from time to time and can enjoy the discussion and see things begin to take shape. Literally.

17. Ion-X macrumors member

Ion-X

For a X Plus it would have to be wider. That is the part that feels cramped on the X and is the only real downgrade from the 7 Plus. Ideally they would make the notch thinner so you could have as close to a 16:9 aspect ratio as possible.

18. jetlagged macrumors 6502

Apple should release an iPhone SE X size next year

19. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

nrvna76

All I can say is that my wife is trying to hang on to her SE as long as possible hoping they come up with another iteration. I told her she is going to have to get used to the larger size. If she gets a larger one and they refresh the SE she will hate me...:oops:

20. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502a

Dirtydutch

I actually miss when the iPhone was just one model in a few different colors and storage. While fragmentation offers choice, it also takes a little something away from the iPhone for me.

21. Absrnd macrumors 6502a

Absrnd

My wife said the same about her iphone 5, I gave her my 6+, and after 30 minutes she was giddy as a schoolgirl with her fantastic big screen :D

22. Ion-X macrumors member

Ion-X

You might be surprised that, because of its narrow bezels, the X is not all that much bigger than the SE in its dimensions.

6FB0BD2F-2A36-4538-AF7F-1C3248F52A5F.png 9FCDCBE8-22A3-426B-AE22-43852236532A.png

23. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

When the X was first announced, I thought it was the perfect combination of a compact form factor while retaining a relatively large display. I would say it was the culmination of what manufacturers had been trying to achieve for years as far as making a phone that was pocketable while having a sufficient surface area for gestures.

Looking back, we needed two sizes of iPhones because that was a compromise for what could fit in people’s pockets and having a screen to compete with phablets. The iPhone X is the solution to that compromise, and I think it will change the market. You don’t have to choose between the two now.

24. Ion-X macrumors member

Ion-X

The problem remains that videos play smaller than on the Plus models because videos are and will for the foreseeable future be recorded in 16:9 (there is no adaptive sizing like there is for apps), and the X screen is narrower. That is the biggest downside for me.

25. bbates123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think there are a LOT of people who would shell out big time for a small version of the X. I know I would and my wife would too. First thing she said when I showed her my X..."too big".
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2017 ---
    It may not be that much of a difference on paper but in reality it's a huge difference. I'm even shocked by how "small" my iPhone 8 now feels when I hold it, compared to the X. And I thought the 8 was borderline too big for me. The X is not only noticeably bigger than the 8 in terms of one handed use, it's also noticeably heavier.